Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: sell it?  (Read 2352 times)

July 27, 2009, 02:10:21 PM
Reply #30

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
Re: sell it?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »
Chevy LUV?

Close.  :roll:
I do LUV my Chevy.
Drove it in fact, to your neck of the woods this weekend and sea trialed an Aquasport in Charleston Harbour.
For you Ford guys: 2003 DMax 22.1mpg, average speed 64mph. That's from Tally to Palm City to Jax to Mt. Pleasent SC and back to Tally.
Now back to the original thread.

Ha!  I was kidding... I didn't really think you had a LUV.  I used to have a P'up w/ the diesel.  The older Duramaxes didn't have all of the SMOG add-ons.  I used the same year D-max to deliver a 32' boat down to your neck of the woods and got 14-16mpg there and about the same mileage you posted on the way back  :shock: .  You wont get that kind of mileage out of a new one- I know because the 08' in my driveway gets about 13-14 all day  :roll: (and on a side note- it's been in the shop 6 times, but what can you expect?) .  Hold on to that one Bob.

Did you enjoy your stay in Chucktown?  You should have given me a call-  I could have shown you a real vintage Aquasport  :wink:
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

July 27, 2009, 06:15:19 PM
Reply #31

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »
BA - agree, it is silly how you can only buy trucks now with all the smog crap, effectively increasing fuel usage.  I feel like I am fairly *gasp* liberal, but how can you justify using MORE fuel just to cut down on the black smoke (which is carbon, and harmless).  I understand catalytic converters, and other devices that reduce CO, etc... but diesels are actually some of the cleanest engines for emissions.

I have read some articles in Time and Newsweek talking about how USA emissions laws have kept some great german diesel motors out of our country - at the expense of very good fuel economy.

:?

July 27, 2009, 07:31:47 PM
Reply #32

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
Quote from: "LilRichard"
BA - agree, it is silly how you can only buy trucks now with all the smog crap, effectively increasing fuel usage.  I feel like I am fairly *gasp* liberal, but how can you justify using MORE fuel just to cut down on the black smoke (which is carbon, and harmless).  I understand catalytic converters, and other devices that reduce CO, etc... but diesels are actually some of the cleanest engines for emissions.

I have read some articles in Time and Newsweek talking about how USA emissions laws have kept some great german diesel motors out of our country - at the expense of very good fuel economy.

:?
I remember being in India back a few years and I was in a "tuc-tuc" which is in essence a motorized 3-wheeler and we pulled up to a light along with about 50 other "tucs" in the same lane (and in about the same 30 ft) and also a big truck whose muffler was pointing below the truck and out - right at our tuc.  Before I noticed it, the light changed and our tuc was filled with the "harmless" black carbon - NICE!!!  Like a 3-stooges movie....
I think the diesels get a bad rap for the carbon here - which you don't see much on the european models - they're light years ahead of us there.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

July 27, 2009, 08:39:15 PM
Reply #33

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »
Quote from: "Badonquasport196"
Chevy LUV?

Close.  :roll:
I do LUV my Chevy.
Drove it in fact, to your neck of the woods this weekend and sea trialed an Aquasport in Charleston Harbour.
For you Ford guys: 2003 DMax 22.1mpg, average speed 64mph. That's from Tally to Palm City to Jax to Mt. Pleasent SC and back to Tally.
Now back to the original thread.

Ha!  I was kidding... I didn't really think you had a LUV.  I used to have a P'up w/ the diesel.  The older Duramaxes didn't have all of the SMOG add-ons.  I used the same year D-max to deliver a 32' boat down to your neck of the woods and got 14-16mpg there and about the same mileage you posted on the way back  :shock: .  You wont get that kind of mileage out of a new one- I know because the 08' in my driveway gets about 13-14 all day  :roll: (and on a side note- it's been in the shop 6 times, but what can you expect?) .  Hold on to that one Bob.

Did you enjoy your stay in Chucktown?  You should have given me a call-  I could have shown you a real vintage Aquasport  :wink:

I get about 14 pulling the ROM over to Port St. Joe. The first part of the run is on I-10. The second half is two lane country with only a couple of stops/slow downs. I get just under 17 in town. I have replaced the instrument cluster twice at $600 a pop but GM has been good about picking up the tab (way out of warranty) and the CD player stopped last week but... It pulls the boat just fine and unless something really goes wrong in this Country, I plan on keeping it till the body falls off.

We (my wife and I) got way too little time in Chucktown. I did get to see it from the harbor and crossed over that magnificent bridge. I was looking at a 96 Explorer and I do like that boat but.... On the way home, we talked and decided maybe another day. I have always wanted a WAC but it looks like the ROM3 will be the boat of choice for some time. Hey those mid 80s have some Classic to them, not as much as the 70s but still.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

July 30, 2009, 09:46:46 PM
Reply #34

thill

• Information Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 09:46:46 PM »
Go to a junk yard, pull the engine from another truck and drop her in!  $300-$500 probably, and you probably won't have to do anything to it, besides an oil change and a few other standard tune-up items.

I liked my old straight 300, but I liked my 5.0L/302 better.   Towed a 4000# boat with it 3 times a week, and my helper is STILL getting good service out of it.   But DEFINITELY flush the tranny EVERY year, if you want it to last.

-TH
-TH

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal