Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Not everyone is as enthusastic as I am...  (Read 753 times)

September 28, 2010, 02:48:22 PM
Read 753 times

Rhojo

• Information Offline
Not everyone is as enthusastic as I am...
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »
Sometimes I need to remember that...

A couple of weeks ago the Admiral and I were putting in on our local lake (Falls Lake, Rollingview Marina). As I'm backing the trailer down to the ramp I notice another boat on the other side of the pier, there was a woman sitting in it and it was tied to the pier. Obviously they had just put in and the driver was walking back from parking the tow vehicle. Immediately I recognized the lines of that boat as another Aquasport FF! The driver was approaching the ramp and at the same time we both spoke to each other. "Nice boat!", I said to him. "What year is that?", he asked me. I asnwered, " it's a '79". "So is mine", he replied. I said, "wow, amazing! Two '79's at the same pier, I'll have to get a pic!"

I continued with my routine, got the boat launched and tied to the pier as the Admiral parked the tow vehicle. Before I could grab the camera I heard the engine rev up and as I looked up I see the transom of his boat pulling away. He had a single 250 horse Johnson so he was out of range pretty fast. He looked at me and I waved bye. I found this a bit odd at the time, it's not often that I see two 31+ year old boats at the same pier and I really wanted a pic!  :scratch:  He had some "Fishizzle" name on the side, along with what looked to be later model graphics showing the AQ logo.

Oh well, no biggie I guess. I figure either (1) that wasn't his wife! or (2) he was a spy and would have had to kill us if I took his pic!
Jon & Rhonda
'79 22-2 Family Fisherman  "Lillypad"

September 28, 2010, 03:11:16 PM
Reply #1

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: Not everyone is as enthusastic as I am...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 03:11:16 PM »
Then there are other times when you are blocking the ramp because the other AS guy wants to chat. About 4 months ago I was launching my 73 222 on the ICW near ST. Augustine. When another 73 170 pulled up to the ramp. A very well worn one at that. This guy left the truck and boat sitting at the ramp and said to his buddy, leave her I want to go see this 22-2. This was a 20 minute conversation! I finally had to say enough; told him about the AS forum and popped the Mercs in reverse and got out of there before he decided to try to run me down. What was even more strange during the day I saw atleast another 5 or 6 late 60`s to mid seventies ospreys that day including a 19-1 gull!! I havent seen that many on the water since I was a kid when all those boats were new! I love talkin about my AS 22-2 so Rhojo if your ever down here in northeast FL with your 22-2 FF and I see ya, we can lock cleats, do a drift and talk about how lucky we are!!!
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

September 28, 2010, 03:11:45 PM
Reply #2

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
I'd go with door number one!

Hey, since your in Durham.....would you like to come to our Octoberfest reunion?

Fresh steamed oysters, fried spots, open bar, Hooters girls imported from Florida....rats, somebody already used that line....

September 28, 2010, 04:04:53 PM
Reply #3

Rhojo

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
Quote from: "fitz73222"
Then there are other times when you are blocking the ramp because the other AS guy wants to chat. About 4 months ago I was launching my 73 222 on the ICW near ST. Augustine. When another 73 170 pulled up to the ramp. A very well worn one at that. This guy left the truck and boat sitting at the ramp and said to his buddy, leave her I want to go see this 22-2. This was a 20 minute conversation! I finally had to say enough; told him about the AS forum and popped the Mercs in reverse and got out of there before he decided to try to run me down. What was even more strange during the day I saw atleast another 5 or 6 late 60`s to mid seventies ospreys that day including a 19-1 gull!! I havent seen that many on the water since I was a kid when all those boats were new! I love talkin about my AS 22-2 so Rhojo if your ever down here in northeast FL with your 22-2 FF and I see ya, we can lock cleats, do a drift and talk about how lucky we are!!!

That would be great, The admiral and I have a dream trip in mind in which we take our 22-2 FF to the Keys so it's definately a pssibility Fitz!
Jon & Rhonda

September 28, 2010, 04:07:14 PM
Reply #4

Rhojo

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
I'd go with door number one!

Hey, since your in Durham.....would you like to come to our Octoberfest reunion?

Fresh steamed oysters, fried spots, open bar, Hooters girls imported from Florida....rats, somebody already used that line....

Funny Gran, I've actually already presented the idea to the Admiral. We haven't made a decision yet but it is not out of the question! We need to work out a few details, I'm not sure where we would bed down if it's too cold to sleep on the boat! I'll keep working on it!
Jon & Rhonda

September 28, 2010, 04:20:50 PM
Reply #5

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »
John and I will be working on the logistics.....will keep everyone posted!

Thanks!

September 28, 2010, 07:36:04 PM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »
Ahhhhemmm - he said he wanted a trip to the Keys, so he MUST be talking about coming to the SE Aquasport gathering in Sunny Boca Grande FL.  8)

Yeah Rhojo, some people just aren't into it like we are. Amazes me too.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

September 29, 2010, 08:31:58 AM
Reply #7

Rhojo

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 08:31:58 AM »
Quote from: "RickK"
Ahhhhemmm - he said he wanted a trip to the Keys, so he MUST be talking about coming to the SE Aquasport gathering in Sunny Boca Grande FL.  8)

Yeah Rhojo, some people just aren't into it like we are. Amazes me too.

Man 'o man would I love to get down there for that but it's just not in the cards for this year. We can't swing it. Maybe next year, though.

A few years ago we took our vacation and went to West Palm Beach to see old friends that had relocated there. We drove down, we were not boat owners at that time, and since we were more that half way to the Keys already we decided to drive on through to Key West. What a trip it was, a long drive from Miami to Key West but it was absolutely worth it and ever since then we have dreamed of having a boat and being in that beautiful water! Well, we have the boat so the trip itself it the next step. We'll see...
Jon & Rhonda

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal