Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: will 1996 mercury mid work with 1989 blackmax?  (Read 2437 times)

September 05, 2013, 03:28:36 PM
Reply #30

redemn93

• Information Offline
Re: will 1996 mercury mid work with 1989 blackmax?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
here is what i was doing yesterday evening.

also a few pics of the motor and why im going through all this.  but when im done itll be like brand new.  paint and all.  can someone tell me why the pistons have tha clean spot on them?  and no, its not lean.  pistons are all black because ive been premixing a little rich in oil lately.  plugs were all fouled out too.  yes i use cheap oil .  wally world brand.  

once its back on the boat, itll get a cooling system flush, seafoam in a 2 gallon jug fuel system cleaning and good dose of power tune.  glad i pulled the heads.  gaskets were about done and leaking water from the bottom but not into the cylinders.  cooling passages are surprisingly clean since this has been a salt water motor its whole life from what i can tell.  cylinder walls still look great though.   should run like an animal when im done and get the fuel mixture back on par.

Jason.  1987 200 Osprey - almost done...for now

September 05, 2013, 05:06:15 PM
Reply #31

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 05:06:15 PM »
Nice Wheels...The corrosion on the mid is pretty typical for a saltwater engine that old. I've actually seen a lot worse. You can renew the steering arm and lower yoke with a good beadblast and them get them powdercoated and be done with it. It will last for many more years. I'm pretty sure you have a stuck driveshaft in the crank which happens when they go for years without service. I assume the lower unit wont drop off?
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

September 05, 2013, 05:15:09 PM
Reply #32

redemn93

• Information Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
thanks.  

the bottom yoke is almost gone in the center at the splines and the steering shaft is extremely corroded there as well.  ill get a picture of it once i can get to it.  also youll see in the second from last picture that i have a broken mount too.  for what i paid for the new mid with tons and tons of parts along with it, i might end up putting a little in my pocket in the end.  and all the parts are 95% perfect.

correct about the mid.  i have a couple more ideas im going to try tonight though.  we'll see if i can atleast get the lower to drop.  thatll be the first step to freeing up this PH i would think.  then try the razor blade trick.  then let it all soak in the ATF acetone mix for a few days.  i know i can get it.  just a matter of how i want to go about it.  scrafice the adapter plate or just keep working it.  i have 2-3 weeks to get this done.  once its all apart, itll go back together pretty quick after i clean and paint everything.  going to drop the heads off tomorrow for a hot tank cleaning and resurfacing.

September 16, 2013, 08:56:16 AM
Reply #33

redemn93

• Information Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 08:56:16 AM »
well, made some progress.  got my original outboard totally disassembled yesterday.  had to drill through three of the studs.  not a huge deal though.  any good tig welder can have them filled in 20 minutes time.  good thing im doing this.  the splines on the bottom of the steering shaft and on the knuckle itself were just about gone.  the knuckle was about gone in the outside too.  honestly wouldve lost steering anytime.  

done anyone know how to reassemble the upper mounts?  i was able to pry off the adapter plate from the mounts.  i dont see how to reinstall though.  do they go on loose and then tighten up the bolts once assembled?  i didnt look very long as i stopped to give my hand a break.  bones still arent 100% and it was hurting.  i dont see how the nuts will be kept from turning though.  

atleast now i can move forward.  finally.  should be back together in a week or two.  need to get the heads checked for flatness and figure out how to get the exhaust tunner out.  i thought it was supposed to lift out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal