Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Generic Aquasport Rebuilding Topics / Re: 1973 196 rebuild question
« Last post by RickK on Today at 02:19:41 PM »
Ouch, can you see the damage from the outside? I think it's an easy repair but will require some grinding (ugh) The other option for the stringers is to rip them out and build new ones, then you know they'll last. I did that in my 170 rebuild. You only need fiberglass cloth, 1708, resin and a homemade mold.

Heres a few pics from my rebuild:
Stringers out, hull inside ground and new 1708 over entire hull

New stringers

Stringers scribed to hull and set in place

Held in place

27 gal fuel tank notched in with room for expansion

Tabbed in and later tacked in place

This is the tank I bought at Marine Surplus in Bradenton FL. They have a web page

This will get you in the middle of the stringer stuff
https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10101.msg103523#msg103523
« Last post by Duffy1470 on Today at 09:38:24 AM »
I will get a pic of the starboard damage that is adjacent to the blown out stringer today. 
« Last post by Duffy1470 on Today at 09:34:38 AM »

Bow damage.  See the streaks? It appears to be polyester resin that was just dumped in.  That was done in the stern as well but I ground it out already.  The bonding putty is Grey so I don't think I would confuse it with poly resin.  Pretty sure someone has done a bunch of sub par work to this boat.  See the paint. It is representative of the rest of the work.

Again, why rebuild the stringers from the inside instead of the outside? I really do not relish the idea of grinding inside the stringers. Also, is it standard to have one layer of biax tabbing the stringers down because that is all that is there.  As shown in the Pic the bonding putty unbonded leaving the one layer of biax floating in the air, tabbed to nothing.

My goal with this boat is to make the guts last for another 50 years so my kids can finish it however they want when they want. I can change my goal if this boat isn't worth $300 plus a sheet Coosa. Thy plywood lasted a long time. Your opinions are appreciated.  Thanks
« Last post by RickK on Today at 05:36:51 AM »
In the last pic you can see how the stringers were laid into the boat. The stringers were attached with a bonding putty, so maybe what you think is resin in the aft of the boat may be bonding putty. To repair the stringers I think dbiscayne has the right idea to rebuild them from the inside out. You can buy rolls of 4" or 6" 1708 that are used as tape, might want to consider that instead of cutting your own tape.
« Last post by RickK on Today at 05:10:57 AM »
Can you show us the damage at the bow and the starboard side plz?
« Last post by Duffy1470 on May 18, 2024, 09:22:23 PM »
Okay. Answer to Rick's questions. I have not used any resins or epoxies as of yet, still grinding.  The resin appears to be polyester  and was already in here.  You can see where the stringers delaminated from the hull.  Looks like whoever "repaired" them dumped the rest of the resin in the bo/om.  I will try to post a pic.
« Last post by Duffy1470 on May 18, 2024, 09:16:47 PM »

You can see extensive repair to starboard bow. There is also repair about halfway back on starboard. I assume same collision which caused starboard stringer blowout?  Why would core be removed  from next to keel?  Input please I am at a loss.
« Last post by Duffy1470 on May 18, 2024, 09:11:42 PM »

You can see where core was taken out and not replaced. What was factory?   By the way, cicadas are attracted to grinders.
« Last post by Duffy1470 on May 18, 2024, 09:07:24 PM »

« Last post by Duffy1470 on May 18, 2024, 09:06:04 PM »

Haven't processed all you wrote yet but will and will answer. In the mean time more pics to ponder. This boat has clearly been in a significant collision.  See pics of bow and stringer.  Everyone's thoughts would be appreciated.  Should I continue down the Coosa path or switch to plywood?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal