Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Roll Over  (Read 1892 times)

October 09, 2008, 07:43:53 AM
Read 1892 times

skiph98

Roll Over
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:43:53 AM »
Hi;
I'm new to the site and have a question for some of you that have more experience than I. I have a 1999 Osprey 175 (my second Osprey) and I have a problem I've not run across before. When it gets up on a plane, the boat rolls onto the left side. It doesn't steer left, it literally rolls onto the left gunwale. The previous owner said the trim tabs he installed corrected the rollover, but my other Osprey didn't have the problem, and I don't think it's the torque of the OMC 90 hp that's on it  causing the problem because it's not a steering issue. And the trim tabs DO bring it back upright, but I shouldn't need trim tabs on a 175 to keep it stable. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Skiph98

October 09, 2008, 11:25:09 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:25:09 AM »
Skip,
Welcome aboard!
My first question would be...
Is the starboard tab working correctly?
Could it be trimmed full down when you start or even slightly trimmed?
How can you tell?

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

October 09, 2008, 03:22:14 PM
Reply #2

Double Trouble

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
roll over
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:22:14 PM »
I am having a similar problem with my 275 explorer except mine does it when I turn to port boat lists hard over and is hard to turn. A couple of guys here are trying to help me figure it out if we do I will let you know. You can keep track of whats going on if you watch ex aquasport/wellcraft employee in this forum.

October 09, 2008, 07:26:21 PM
Reply #3

skiph98

Roll problem
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:26:21 PM »
Yes, the trim tabs are set ok. With the tabs set, there is no rollover problem, only when I raise both tabs to the up position. I've been told that the motor being out of line on installation will do this, but in measuring the center of the transom, the motor might be 1/4" out if that, so I don't see how that could be the problem. Also, the previous owner bought the boat new, and say's that that is the reason the trim tabs were installed. It has the original engine in the original position. I really can't figure this one out.

October 09, 2008, 08:19:34 PM
Reply #4

compcrasher86

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »
I doubt the trim tabs would be able to roll your boat to port all the way to the gunwales and im pretty sure 1/4" for the engine off would not be the cause. I am puzzled with how this all happens. Whenever I have this problem, it is if I have too many people on one side of the boat. It usually takes about 200lb of unequal weight to off-set my 22-2. I wish I could help, but I am not that good with hydro-dynamics
Stock 1973 222 Open Fisherman
\'87 Evinrude 140hp V4 (with VRO)
"Floor it"

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/C ... mview=grid

October 10, 2008, 06:02:20 AM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 06:02:20 AM »
Welcome aboard Skip  :!:  :!:
Are you saying that after planing, the boat rolls so that the port chine (where the bottom and side meet) is in the water acting like the centerline of the boat - the keel?  This is weird. It's been doing it since it's been new AND he didn't get the problem resolved when he bought it?  Why not? Hmmm.
Anyway, I was going to say check the skeg on the motor.  Do you know if that size motor was made in a counter-rotating model? Counter rotating and skeg set for an opposite turning engine.  Just thinking aloud here.  Also, does the boat sit level, port to starboard, when at float and no one's in it?  Thinking some hidden weight.... :scratch:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

October 10, 2008, 11:33:48 AM
Reply #6

skiph98

rollover
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »
Yes, when you get the boat up on a plane with the tabs all the way up the boat rolls to port and pretty much runs on the port chine. When I adjust the trim tabs it rolls upright. The Motor rotates to right, not counter rotating. The trim skag on the bottom of the motor doesn't affect the roll, only the steering, and that is fine. With the tabs adjusted it runs just like it should and rides great. I've checked how it sits when it's in the water and it sits level, as It should. One of my first thoughts was that maybe the foam in the floor on the port side was holding excess water, but I jacked it way up in the front and not much water drained out. Besides. as I said, it sits level in the water at the ramp. The original owners answer was to install the trim tabs, I would have it back to the dealer until it was right, but that's not an option after 9 years. I guess I'll live with it using the trim tabs unless some one comes with an answer. I was hoping the guy that worked for Aquasport would see this and have a possible solution. Maybe he will yet.
Thanks for the comments.

October 10, 2008, 12:39:18 PM
Reply #7

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »
Skip,
I am about as dumb-founded as everyone else here.  Typically, when you have a running list (and you have a big one!), you'll notice a port list at rest.  We never heard the 175 had any issues back then (I was still with Wellcraft/Aquasport in '99) and we built a ton of them.

Now, virtually all boats have some sort of ballast to compensate for fiberglass imbalances or options.  Sometimes, lamination forgets to put the lead in, and since the area where it goes is foamed, no one can tell whether it's there or not, unless you stab the foam.  

Now I'd like you to do a little experiment.  Find something that weighs 200 lbs., preferably a buddy, and have him sit on the starboard gunwale.  With tabs up, throttle up and get on plane.  See what happens.  Should the boat ride on the keel like it's supposed to, start playing with the tabs.  Drop the port side tab to drop the starboard bow and see what happens.  See how quick she starts to lean.  Then do the same with the starboard side tab.  Notice any differences in the time it takes for each tab to really affect the running attitude.

I'm hoping that the addition of ballast on the starboard side will solve the situation.  Another possible solution is to fair in a "hook" on the port trailing edge of the hull bottom.  Basically, a built in tab.  Hulls and decks, especially if a builder is really cranking, sometimes get pulled from the mold a little green.  Hard on the outside, still semi-liquid on the inside.  Your hull seems to have unequal running surfaces side-to-side, and this would explain it.

So give it a whirl, and post the results.  You might have to play with the weight a little bit.

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 10, 2008, 02:14:47 PM
Reply #8

skiph98

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »
I guess this sounds like I am trying to make this very difficult, but really, i'm not. As for the added weight, I weigh 250 and my buddy that fishes with me weighs 225. When I first experienced the problem, we tried sitting on the starboard side, standing on the seat  ( both of us ) and one on starboard and one in the center, all to no avail. As for the possibility of forming a  scoop or built in trim tab on one side, I guess I'll just live with using the trim tabs, heck, the previous owner did it for 9 years and the boat still runs. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Skip

October 10, 2008, 04:28:53 PM
Reply #9

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 04:28:53 PM »
Skip,
I am very curious now.  Do me a favor.  With the boat on the trailer, sight down both sides of the running surface of the hull and see if can detect some differences, port versus starboard.  There is an obvious "lift" situation here, as if there were no lifting strake on the port side.  For a boat to fall over onto the port chine, well, that just ain't right!

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 11, 2008, 12:18:32 AM
Reply #10

skiph98

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 12:18:32 AM »
I was working on the boat for the past couple of days, actually working on lining the bunks up on the trailer that I bought for the boat. I worked under and around the hull for about 6 hours and didn't see any differences. Of course, I really wasn't looking for any differences either. I'll do it Sunday when I'm hooking up some electronics. I'm going to be busy tomorrow.

BTW, can new rub rail be purchased for boats?
I want to replace mine as it is brittle and looks like crap. If so, where can I find it?
Thanks,
Skip H.

October 11, 2008, 11:38:48 AM
Reply #11

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 11:38:48 AM »
Skip,
Your rubrail is a Taco part, the vinyl extrusion with the gray insert.

http://www.tacometals.com

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 11, 2008, 01:10:02 PM
Reply #12

skiph98

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 01:10:02 PM »
Thanks, I'll check out sources. I 'preciate it.

October 11, 2008, 09:24:54 PM
Reply #13

Ken G

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 09:24:54 PM »
Just for shitz and gigglez does your outboard have a Doel Fin or Whale Tail on it?  I know you have trim tabs, so I hope you don't also have a hydrofoil.  I don't have time tonight for a full response but the presence of a foil or not may have a bearing on your problem.

October 12, 2008, 09:54:14 AM
Reply #14

skiph98

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 09:54:14 AM »
No, I don't also have a Dolefin on the motor, but thanks for the feedback.
Skip

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal