Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Trim tab advice  (Read 2218 times)

July 18, 2011, 01:52:52 AM
Reply #15

T Race

• Information Offline
Re: Trim tab advice
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 01:52:52 AM »
I installed M-120's on my 215 Explorer 7 days ago, after reading this thread and doing some research on the Bennett tabs.

I took the boat out in 5 - 7 foot seas at 11 seconds, with a 1-3 foot wind swell, left over from the previous evenings 5 - 15 kt westerlies.   This sea state is very typical for this area, at this time of year.  When the winter low pressures are afoot, that's when the fun starts.  Fortunately we don't have to go very far to hit deepish water.

I immediately noticed the difference heading out to the fishing area. The trim tabs made the forward third of the boat suck to the water, eliminating the banging resultant from the boat launching into mid-air across the wave top, then banging hard on the fall.  It was very strange, yet exhilarating, like the boat was a giant magnet being drawn against the uneven water surface.  You should have heard me whooping to my buddies as we gained on the boat ahead of us, the sun just cracking the horizon.  As we crossed their wake, maybe 75 meters behind them, my suspicions were confirmed - they had no trim tabs, and they were paying for their speed.
  We continued our hilly ride past them, and left them in our dust, as it were. I don't want to swear this, but I am 98 % sure that boat we passed was a Grady White.  Just thinking that it might have been a GW made me sort of proud of my lil' Aquasport.

In sum, man, what a difference those tabs make.  Cannot think of ever having a boat that does not ride like this one does now. I guess it is difficult to describe to others who have not experienced the "before" and "after" handling characteristics, so I am left with this:
Are these trim tabs to be recommended?  Whole heartedly, with no reservations or caveats.

Not fer nuthin', T
T Race
1999 Aquasport 215 Explorer, IO, Hardtop
2006 Ford F-150 SCab, 4WD

July 18, 2011, 10:29:40 AM
Reply #16

jasons215

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »
T,
I also passed a GW Saturday heading offshore. They just looked at me as I went by! I too am proud of my 215 Aquasport! Glad you liked them.
Jay-D
215 Explorer w/ 200 Johnson Oceanrunner
           "FAMILY TRADITION"

July 18, 2011, 11:05:38 AM
Reply #17

T Race

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »
Thanks J,

These trim tabs are Double-Ought Fancy !!    Hey, let me ask you: Do you have any  problems emptying the skanky water from your fishboxes?  My pump works consistently (I can hear it) but sometimes the water is pumped out and sometimes the pump is moving but no water is exiting ?    Do you have any problem like this?

I imagine that the hoses are getting clogged with fish-funk.  Man, there is no way I want to start replacing or clearing those hoses...  they are so inaccessible.

In any case, thanks for your kind words - you are right on - and I can't wait to blow this pop-sickle stand and move back to Florida !  OR Katy, TX  :bounce:  :bounce:
T Race

July 18, 2011, 12:08:26 PM
Reply #18

jasons215

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
T,
Does this happen when there is alot of water in your fish boxes or when it's almost all pumped out? My port side box is leaking (I am guessing at the hose fitting) and I cant see myself fixing it. May have to cut a hole in the fish box and install a 4" deck plate.
Jay-D
215 Explorer w/ 200 Johnson Oceanrunner
           "FAMILY TRADITION"

July 18, 2011, 11:22:28 PM
Reply #19

T Race

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »
Quote from: "jasons215"
T,
Does this happen when there is alot of water in your fish boxes or when it's almost all pumped out? .

I havn't noticed a pattern yet, however this last time it quite pumping, I had the box about 1/3 full of skanky water.  It pumped about half of that out and then quit pumping... I had to bail the rest out.   I wonder if Drain-O will hurt those hoses.... I better do a test.

Let us know if you do the pie plate.

Best wishes, T.
T Race

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal