Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Generic Aquasport Rebuilding Topics / Re: 1973 196 rebuild question
« Last post by RickK on Today at 05:29:57 AM »
Aquasport was the first to have fiberglass stringers. They made them trapezoidal in shape for strength and filled them with foam to help support the structure of them. That being said, all other manufacturers at the time didn't have any choice but to make them out of wood, and they lasted a long time. a friend was buying a grady white cabin boat and he asked me to check it out. I opened the bilge and there was wooden stringers - I stuck a screwdriver into the wood and it was very soft. I told to get his deposit back.
So, you have a decision to make. If you decide to rip the wood out, it's not hard to make your own trapezoidal stringers from homemade molds.
Classified / Re: 1971 222 flatback for sale
« Last post by Hbrod2336 on May 24, 2024, 10:32:49 AM »
Curious if you still have this boat for sale. If so are you able to provide any photos? Thanks!
« Last post by Mfarmer1020 on May 24, 2024, 10:30:50 AM »
Wood is in bad shape but was wondering more if the design of the stringer is good or not as i see mainly pyramid ones in all boats on here yours included rickk!
191 Rebuilds / Re: Mike B's 19-1 Refinish
« Last post by umecheme on May 24, 2024, 09:26:39 AM »
Thanks Duffy,  I'm planning on using the original teak rod holder/cap supports. Then I ripped some PT 5/4 deck boards to give something to screw into for the cap attachment and to screw the rub rail into.  I then epoxied over all of that wood to seal it.  Lots of fairing and sanding right now.  Word of advice, don't have children in the middle of a rebuild.  I'm on year... 4 or 5? Not much has changed other than fairing and sanding, but I did however just buy primer for the inside, which is exciting.  Seeing new rebuilds like yours is inspiring for me, so good motivation for me to get back out and push on with mine! My wife spends most of the summer out of town with the kids, so the next couple months I should really be able to make hay. I'll grab a pic from this year next time I'm out there.
« Last post by RickK on May 24, 2024, 05:31:47 AM »
I would say that it's someone's handy work. Is the wood dry? Take an awl and probe the wood, if its mushy, it's toast. If it's still hard then it may be fine.  Wood in the bilge is not a bad thing as long as its sealed very well and water doesn't get into the bilge.
Start a new topic here - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?board=30.0 - and post your questions.
« Last post by Mfarmer1020 on May 23, 2024, 08:08:21 PM »
Hey guys, sorry to come in with no info and just questions but im in the same boat here (literally lol). As i go through all of these rebuilds and see all these photos im curious to what i have going on with mine. I see alot of pyramid stringers and that i do not have. Have attached photo (i think) to give you a look. Wondering if this is factory or someones handy work in here. The two center ones have 2x4's attached from a tank replacement before i purchased so i know thats some handy work but mine are completely different. Wondering if this is factory or if i need to start from scratch from the bottom up! Thanks in advance for any info!!

:welcome01: CS - we have a ton of rebuilds that will give you some ideas.  Loose consoles are pretty common on a center console since the console is usually the only place to hang on. Had mine ripped out once.
« Last post by RickK on May 22, 2024, 08:36:53 PM »
I've done it both way with CSM. When I tore it I was repairing something, like my 170 had been beached so many times that the keel was worn through in one spot but the previous owner had painted it over and I didn't see the damage. When I did find it (because the boat almost sunk), I tore the 1.5oz csm and tucked it in and around the gouge that was now present because I ground it deep. After a few layers I could start adding cut pieces of 3oz csm and went back and forth between torn and cut until it was filled.
Oh, and use your air compressor to blow out the motor on your fan often. I borrowed a fan from my buddy and after a while the motor was getting hot and started to not turn on. I blew it out and all kinds of stuff (he never blew it out since he bought it) came out. I did this from several different angles until it was clean and it started back up and spun much freer that when I received it.
191 Rebuilds / Re: Mike B's 19-1 Refinish
« Last post by Duffy1470 on May 22, 2024, 07:00:43 PM »
You posted on my thread, thanks, so I figured I would post on yours. What did you end up doing for the cap reinforcement? Did your boat float again? I hope so, it was a cool build.
« Last post by Duffy1470 on May 22, 2024, 05:49:09 PM »

Sage advice umecheme.  30 years ago when I did my last boat rebuild (stringers and deck on what we think was an 18 almond that looked like a wellcraft v-step), we would patch holes by tearing pieces of mat instead of cutting.  I did both here. Is one way better than the other or is it personal preference?  Thanks for everyone's input. Very cool.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal