Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 1997 Osprey  (Read 551 times)

September 10, 2012, 05:22:28 PM
Read 551 times

floorman1

• Information Offline
1997 Osprey
« on: September 10, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
I'm brand new here. Ready to purchase a 1997 17.5 Osprey. Are there any common problems with this boat that I should be aware of. The boat looks to be in real nice shape. I'm getting back into boating after 20 years.

September 10, 2012, 06:36:07 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: 1997 Osprey
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
The basic stuff on a 15 year old boat, AS or otherwise.  Transom integrity, soft spots in the cockpit sole.  Pay attention around the mounting areas of the swing back seat/livewell/cooler.  That is your most likely area of water intrusion, and thus, rot.  Grab the backrest and try and move the whole unit, see if the floor flexes...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 19, 2012, 03:39:09 PM
Reply #2

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
Bought a 175 last March, mine's a bit older.  First off, great boat.  Seabob is, of course, spot on about floor and transom.  

Having the same boat I would add a few things beyond the obvious (engine, electrical system as awhole):
Check the thru-hull.  This can be a major area of water intrusion if there has been any damage to underside of hull.

Check rub rail area: flex the hull throughout where it meets the rub rail to see if everything is all good.  Relatively easy fix but if the past owner was a shitty docker the rub rail can be disconnected / screws pulled through.  If anything, you can use it as a way to get price down.  

Check foam in corner of hull, should be accessible through stern boxes.  Is it waterlogged?

Fuel system as a whole: does it take fuel, is the water filter full of :*:?  Could mean big bucks if you're going to need to replace / professionally clean the tank.  
Just a few ideas, don't mean to overwhelm : )
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

September 20, 2012, 01:39:09 PM
Reply #3

louiefl

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »
My Osprey has some water logged foam under the port stern box - the thin fiberglass (or whatever is covering the foam) has split allowing water to penetrate. The rest of the boat is bone dry and I really have no aspirations of tearing it up, but didn't want it to get worse, I removed the flaking surface and dug out the surface foam, filled with fiberglass resin and mat to seal it off. If the opening that the storage bins had a raised lip (even 1") it would keep water out.

My seacock was frozen open (fixed with a little PB Blaster), bilge pump float switch jammed (needed cleaning), fish box pump dead (replaced with a live well pump instead of macerator (I can fish out scales by hand), anchor light socket bad, nav / anchor switch bad, all the deck plates were near impossible to remove (cleaned, removed molding flash on covers, relubed and reinstalled), replaced cooler seat hinges, added grab rails to sides of baitwell seat, added springy hatch stops to both seat covers, replaced raw water pickup screen (they overtightened and cracked it), re-wired ground bus bar, relocated battery (they had it right in front of the door making the entire space useless), new fuel sending unit, replaced steering helm and cable, added a couple rod holders to the top of the gunwale midship, and added some bow cushions. Did a bunch of maintenance to the engine: lower unit lube, plugs, grease zerks, voltage rectifier (tach was dancing), and a few things to the trailer (wiring, bearings, wheels, tires, and added boat guides.

Pretty much ran out of things to do...
1996 Osprey 175 Johnson 88 SPL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal