You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: size fuel sender ?  (Read 1443 times)

June 25, 2012, 04:21:00 PM
Read 1443 times

Lt_Nutz

• Information Offline
size fuel sender ?
« on: June 25, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Anyone know what size fuel sending unit is on my 2003 Osprey 200 CC?  Don't know if I dare pull the old one to check without a replacement handy.
2003 20\' Aquasport CC 115hp Johnson \'SiouxToo\'

June 26, 2012, 06:12:23 PM
Reply #1

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: size fuel sender ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
You can replace it with the standard Teleflex universal unit.  You cut and adjust the arm to match the depth of your tank.
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

June 27, 2012, 08:57:57 PM
Reply #2

Lt_Nutz

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
You can replace it with the standard Teleflex universal unit.  You cut and adjust the arm to match the depth of your tank.
Thanks, I will give it a try.

June 28, 2012, 08:51:39 AM
Reply #3

louiefl

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »
When I bought my 175 Osprey, I detected a lingering gasoline odor when I opened the deck plates. When I got to the one over the fuel tank sending unit I noticed some slight wet gasoline staining around the gasket. I also noticed a ton of silicone all around the unit - obviously the PO tried to fix this at one time. The first picture was before I started working on it, the boat had been sitting for about 10 days, so the area around the sender is dry.

I pulled the sending unit (unit works fine), it looks like this unit is a Teleflex. On this style you measure the depth of the tank, hacksaw the aluminum riser to the right length and then lower the pivot wire / float to the bottom of the aluminum riser, securing with a pair of screws. There are a couple wires that extend from the head to the pivot that were sloppily secured to the riser with cable ties.  

I bought  a new Moeller gasket kit for $5, cleaned up around the sending unit and lined up the gasket holes with the unit. It was getting dark, so I looked at my original picture and installed the unit with the same bolt orientation. I could get 4 of the 5 screws engaged and the 5th one would not bite, so I assume stripped threads. Wonderful - that explains the silicone everywhere.

The gasket kit came with 10 screws and on further inspection 5 were #10-24 and 5 were #10-32, so maybe I tried to install the wrong thread pitch. Last night I went back with a tap and wd-40 to clean out the threads (they were #10-32) and low and behold all 5 threaded holes were just fine. I aligned the gasket with the unit so I could eliminate 5 combinations available if it was upside down, removed it from the sender, and then put it in the same orientation that the PO had it. One of the screws didn't quite line up - off by almost one bolt diameter. I rotated the gasket until it lined up perfectly with the holes and guess what? The PO had installed the unit rotated off by two screws and when he couldn't get one of the screws to work, he loaded it up with silicone.

The 5-hole pattern is a industry standard, but for the life of me I have no idea why it is not symmetrical, or why the offset is not more pronounced. The last picture is it all buttoned down. I need to add some gas and sea trial to see if it is still dry and the odor goes away.

Concerning the sending unit choices, I didn't like the Teleflex design as the one I have has slots in the metal plate and the gasket kit comes with metal / rubber washers to put under the heads - the main gasket should seal, but the screw gaskets would be an extra level of sealing. I bought a Moeller universal sending unit kit (6" to 12" range, they also have a 12" to 24" range kit) and it has holes instead of slots under the screw heads. I have not installed it yet, but it looks pretty simple - measure the depth of the tank, slide the float up, cut the float arm wire, and install. There is a table on the back of the package with directions on how long to cut the float arm wire.

The depth of my tank (tape measure from the bottom of the inside of the tank to the top area where the sender bolts was 7.5", but I'm sure yours is different. I also measured the depth of gas so I can see if my gauge is in the right ball park.

I would disconnect your battery and working in a well ventillated area, spray the 5 screws with penetrating oil, unbolt the sending unit and measure down. Shoot over to your local West Marine and buy either the Teleflex or Moeller sending unit (I printed out an online price of $23 and West Marine matched the price on the spot - they wanted $46), and install. I have not installed it yet as I want to first see if this solves my leaking problem, and I want to pump out the remaining gas and crud in my tank, filter, and return as a preventative measure.
1996 Osprey 175 Johnson 88 SPL

June 28, 2012, 09:14:15 AM
Reply #4

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »
I had the same situation as louie. I disconnected my battery, then pulled the screws, cleaned all the silicone off and then measured the depth. I had a very small leak around the gasket that would only leak when the tank was full. I got my new one from these guys. Really nice unit, they are custom cut to the depth you tell them. The best improvement was the gasket material, nice thick cork and rubber, no more leak!

http://www.wemausa.com/tank-sensors/det ... ensors.htm
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

June 28, 2012, 09:51:58 PM
Reply #5

Lt_Nutz

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:51:58 PM »
Loiuefl- looks very similar to mine except for all the corrosion I found. Also my fuel pickup is located at the rear of the tank under its own inspection plate. Didn't know West Marine did price matching. I will have to take a ride.
No fuel leaks but found water on top of the fuel tank. I suspect the feed to the live well seat on the front of the console.  Grounded the wires on the old sending unit and gauge jumped to full so wiring appears intact.

Slvrng- thanks for mentioning disconnecting the battery cable! How deep was your tank?

June 29, 2012, 08:54:21 AM
Reply #6

wrightex

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »
I just got my replacement unit from WEMA. It is sweeeet. They did have a 20%-25% discount offer. Check their website.

July 01, 2012, 03:43:29 PM
Reply #7

Lt_Nutz

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »
Fixed! Universal moeller sending unit from WM. Competative price with price matching. Gas guage works. Old unit was corroded from water I found sitting on top of the tank. Traced this back to leaking drain on the live well. Took this apart and it is missing o-rings! Next project.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal