Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Compartments and Bilge  (Read 822 times)

May 29, 2012, 05:59:15 AM
Read 822 times

BobBarry

• Information Offline
Compartments and Bilge
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:59:15 AM »
My cousin and I have purchased an 1978 Aquasport 246 Family Fisherman which is shown at:

http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... 0s&cat=546

The cross section diagram shows a 25 gal fuel tank but our boat has only a storage bin. The hatch for the bin is on center to the left of the captain's chair when facing forward.

I was washing the boat and when done figured I should check under the hatch to see if I had gotten water in the storage bin. There was about 5 gallons of water so I started to bail it out. When doing so, I dislodged some accumulated dirt and pine needles from a drain hole located in the center of the storage bin. So a fair amount of water drained from the bin down into the lower hull.

I went to the stern of the boat and opened the hatch just in front of the outboard. This is where the bilge pump is located. Looking in there it did not appear the water was flowing all the way back to this compartment. The stern compartment appears to be a sealed compartment with no connection to where the main fuel tank is located. I am assuming the water I drained into the hull would end up flowing under the main fuel tank. So I am wondering if I have a bunch of water trapped in the hull. Another indicator is the boat does not sit level, it tends to list to the starboard side judging from the waterlines when looking from shore. There is a plastic screw on cap for access to the main fuel tank and I have noted condensation on the inside of the cap.

My question is should the water for this year and model be draining all the way back to the stern compartment where the bilge pump is located. Where would I look for the drain holes or pipes to see if they are clogged?

Thanks.

May 29, 2012, 07:00:11 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Online
  • Administrator
Re: Compartments and Bilge
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »
Hi BB and welcome aboard  :salut:
For drainage I think it depends on what the attitude of the boat on the trailer (or in the water) whether it goes to the rear or the front. My 230 hull has a bilge pump in the hull in the cabin and when I wash her out, even though I think the boat is tilting toward the rear, the front bilge pump comes on.  Maybe put a cinder block under the jack and raise her up some more and see where the water goes then. If she's in the water, check to see if you have bilge access in the cabin.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 29, 2012, 11:00:16 AM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
The 246FF had an option for an extra fuel tank in addition to the 74 gallon standard tank.  The hatch you are talking about should have a drain hole and a rubber plug you can use (if the plug is still around).  It does drain into the bilge, but at normal attitude, the lowest spot in the hull is not at the stern - it's about in the middle of the hull.  That's why Aquasport offered a front (actually middle) bilge pump option on the XF, FF, and CCP.  Your switch panel may even have a switch or location for a "Front Bilge Pump" that is unused.    

The main fuel tank is in a sealed area/pan with a cover and the pie plate hatch.  It is common that water accumulates over time in the sealed area pan and will cause tank corrosion.  Most folks put a drain hole in the rear of the pan - that negates the safety aspect of a sealed tank area, but greatly reduces the chance of tank corrosion.  If you want to do it right, use a garboard plug and keep it sealed except to check for moisture from time to time.  

Like Rick said, if you have her on a trailer, you can get the nose high enough to drain through the transom drain.  Otherwise you probably will have some water standing in the hull.
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

May 29, 2012, 12:11:33 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
Bob, welcome aboard.  That cross section drawing is actually a very good view of how your boat is built.  As mentioned your main fuel tank is enclosed in an area similar to the forward bin your talking about.  Some people call it a coffin since that is about the size and shape of it.  So any water that is draining into the bilge will be under this coffin and not in contact with your fuel tank.  As you can see in the drawing if the hull is level (the hull is NOT level in the drawing) the lowest point is actually under the porta pottie storage area.  The fuel tank coffin should be water tight but there should be a small drain hole in the aft end of it.  Make sure the caulk around the coffin cover is in good shape as well as around the screws and pie plate covers.  Raising the front of trailer up will allow the water to drain out of the bilge.   Also keep in mind while you are using the boat the point of the hull that will hit bottom is the keel area under the porta pottie area.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

May 30, 2012, 06:58:10 AM
Reply #4

BobBarry

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:58:10 AM »
Gentlemen, thank you so much for your help. My cousin and I are loving this boat. We had three days of heavy rain while the boat was moored. Each day it seemed the water line was getting closer and closer to the water. Being concerned, I went out and checked the stern bilge area. It was almost bone dry, there was no way the bilge pump ever came on because there would still be some water below the level of the float switch. I know water gets through the front hatch (spare gas tank location) and most likely is now in the center bilge area. And as I mentioned the boat does list to one side, but that may be a separate issue.

Let me combine what you have said and follow through a bit:

The boat is currently riding nicely at her mooring, so no trailer tipping. We replaced the electrical panel and cleaned up a bunch of the wiring, we may have missed the front bilge pump if there is one. The rubber plug for the storage compartment is long gone.

1. We have a fuel tank “coffin”. We did a good job of calking the cover, bolts and pie plate cover. From what I am reading there may be or is a small drain hole for the coffin. Would I be able to access that drain hole from the stern most bilge area where the first bilge pump is located?

2.  From what you all are saying about tipping the boat to drain the water, I am concluding there is some connection between the center bilge area and the stern most bilge area where the first bilge pump is located. I have opened the hatch just in front of the motor and stuck my head in. Problem is my personal circumference is greater than the circumference of the hatch. Where are the drain pipes located? I did look but did on see any. If they are there I want to see if they are blocked.

3. If there is a second (middle) bilge pump, how do you access that? I looked in the head storage area and that seems solid. The only place I see to access the lowest part of the hull is the stern hatch and the hatch all the way forward near the anchor lines. Can the storage bin be lifted out to access the center bilge area?

Thanks again for all your help.

May 30, 2012, 10:21:04 AM
Reply #5

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Having owned only a tiny percentage of all the Aquasport models made, I can only state what my personal experience has been.

First, if I understand your posts, this boat is not on a trailer but rather moored. If that is correct, it has been my experience that even with the hull on a trailer, it will collect and hold water if it is not elevated with the bow being a fair amount higher than the stern. Again, this occurred on my personal boats but I'd bet there is at least one (you) who is experiencing this same phenomenon.

To address your first question, again as CJ stated earlier, the tank "coffin" did not come with a drain hole from the factory. If one exists, it was placed by a PO. Therefore access would come at the same point the hole had been drilled. You probably don't have one if you can't readily see it.

I'm assuming there is a bulkhead (or two) in this model and the drainage would probably be located along the keel line at the bottom of the bulkhead. There could also be drains located outside the stringers allowing water to drain between the side of the hull and the outside edge of the stringer. In a CCP, these areas have foam. Not sure about your construction.. If indeed there is a blockage, I'd guess it to be in that center drain along the keel. Still, until you can tilt that hull and see if water flows, you assuming a blockage.

I have a bilge pump forward in my WAC. It is accessed via a deck plate just inside the cabin. I would think if you have a forward pump, it would be located in the area of your cuddy cabin and accessed through a plate.

As always, photos will help.

Lastly, please take a few moments and post a little something about yourself (and cousin if you like) in the "Introduction" thread at the top of the Aqua Discussion forum.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal