Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 22-2 from Marco, final chapter  (Read 5729 times)

October 29, 2010, 07:19:26 AM
Reply #45

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 22-2 from Marco, final chapter
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 07:19:26 AM »
Quote from: "John Jones"
Yep.  A properly done repair is NOT like a stick with duct tape.  It's stronger than original.  Is it cost effective?  I have no clue but I doubt it.
I would think that it would be like a broken stick with 2 tongue depressors glued to it.  The initial crack is still there somewhere unless somehow they can inject something into the crack, if they can find it.  I am no expert in this matter but I am staying in a Holiday Inn Express right now  :D
It sounds like she's too far gone.....
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

October 29, 2010, 08:17:27 AM
Reply #46

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:27 AM »
A proper repair grinds out the old broken fiberglass every how far one needs to go to get to solid glass.  The glass is scarffed (tapered) from full thickness down to nothing.  Done correctly, new fiberglass bonds with the old and becomes part of it.  Not a patch in any manner.  Just like a proper weld is stronger than the surrounding metal.

Regardless, there is no way it is cost effective on a boat that old that is so readily available at reasonable prices.  Even if one is a fiberglass expert the time and materials would be very expensive.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

October 29, 2010, 08:40:22 AM
Reply #47

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 08:40:22 AM »
Go back and look at that thread about the multi-million dollar boat factories.  The wood structure is hand laid and glued together.  Then layers of plywood or planking are glued down.  Then layer after layer of glass is laid.  One could consider those boats built with patches on top of patches on top of patches.  Done properly, it all becomes effectively one piece.

On another note, I have closely inspected a couple of "professionally" redone 222 flatbacks around here.  One of them looked like it was done by a 14 year old.  You could see the patches.  There were pinholes everywhere there was a patch or even just where some fairing was done there were pinholes.  One could see the edges of the glass mat in some spots.  This was all showing through a high dollar paint job.  I happen to know the dude paid over $30K to that "professional".   Some "professionals" aren't.
Niccolo Machiavelli

October 29, 2010, 08:05:41 PM
Reply #48

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
So Scott, when you remove the emotion from the equation, which is hard to do, what you have is a nice set of motors and parts on a hull with serious structural problems.  Hate to say it, but those are the facts.  So what's a path forward?  

Yes you CAN rebuild her.  But that would involve lots of grinding and glass replacement and finishing on the broken parts of the hull structure.  It won't be cheap, that's for sure.  But CAN may not mean SHOULD.  Sometimes you need to reconsider and walk another path.  The cost to fix the structural problems with Miss Marco are probably a lot more than what it would cost to find another 22-2 and update/overhaul a sound hull.  I would guess you can buy a 22-2 hull in OK shape without a motor for $1K to $2K.  That's not a lot compared to the cost of glass, resin, and labor for a big repair.  Put those nice motors on the other boat and figure out what to do with the broken hull - yes, I suggested donating it to the local community college boat building class.  If they invest 1000 hours to make it a sweetheart, that's OK, at least you are not paying for it.

Keep up with the local Po-Po, but I would not count on them coming to rescue an out-of-state interest versus a local guy, unless the evidence is undeniable and it's in their interest to pursue it.  

I'm sending this message from Las Vegas, where gambling is the name of the game.  However, I don't usually play the games because you simply can't beat the house, and I am not lucky at cards.  Gambling here may be fun, and some win, but they did not build this place based on people leaving with more money in their pocket that when they arrived.  So my advice - don't drink the kool-aid; take your medicine and move on.  Make the most out of a bad situation, but, at the same time, don't lose faith in human nature - the old man in Marco was a sleazeball, but I've go to believe that's the exception to the rule - at least where Aquasport owners are concerned, anyway...

We're with you, Bro!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

October 29, 2010, 08:51:32 PM
Reply #49

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
Probably the most comprehensive advice you have been given Scott.
Niccolo Machiavelli

October 30, 2010, 08:48:28 AM
Reply #50

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »
John, thanks for thinking this through. We're all thinking alike. I really like the early 70's 22-2. I have found a good hull. Am now in process of discussion, getting to know the owner.

Yes, the chances of justice with the old man are slim. However, I do want to pursue it, if only to keep his sterling reputation at the forefront of social discussion at the Marco Island Country Club.

I really like the idea of donating Miss Marco to Cape Fear Tech. I'll get a tax break, have the satisfaction of a worthwhile donation, and have closure.

Then can do a complete refurb on the new hull at a less labor-intensive cost. Higher transom, install Miss Marco's new tank and nice motors, original refurbbed console, and hydraulic steering. I'm like Fitz, want her as close to original in appearance as possible, but with state of the art materials.

I'm like my dad was, like a dog with a bone. I've had this dream for a good while now, and am hung on these beautiful hulls. So that's the plan, but don't want to rush into it like the first time.

So thanks for the good thinking.....much appreciated.

John all the best, and have a safe trip back...another beautiful weekend when you get home.

October 30, 2010, 11:06:22 AM
Reply #51

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2010, 11:06:22 AM »
Sorry to hear about the boat Scott :cry:   As you have been told, on a positive note you have 2 good engines ready to attach to another Aquasport.  I got really burned on the 170 Osprey that I bought before the CCP and learned from it!  I got mine home to a blown engine but was my fault because I never sea trialed that boat.

Not quite sure what you are looking for, but as soon as I can find a 222 CCP my 200 CCP will be on the selling blocks.  Those twin Mercury's would be perfect for the Ellyn-Ruth :wink:

Sorry it happened to you, but with the help of the good folks on this forum, you will find something soon :wink:
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

October 30, 2010, 08:48:10 PM
Reply #52

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »
Quote from: "John Jones"
A proper repair grinds out the old broken fiberglass every how far one needs to go to get to solid glass.  The glass is scarffed (tapered) from full thickness down to nothing.  Done correctly, new fiberglass bonds with the old and becomes part of it.  Not a patch in any manner.  Just like a proper weld is stronger than the surrounding metal.

Regardless, there is no way it is cost effective on a boat that old that is so readily available at reasonable prices.  Even if one is a fiberglass expert the time and materials would be very expensive.

JJ, excellent analysis, and you are correct in that the repair would be stronger than the existing lay-up...only wish we had something to work forward.  Unfortunately, there are other issues with Miss Marco. Expert advises that the hull was twisted over to starboard as a result of the drop/heavy impact. Their  cheap repair only served to solidify the warpage/twist.

Have found another hull. Pics to follow.

JD, thanks. Have my eyes open for a good 222 for you.

October 31, 2010, 09:47:56 AM
Reply #53

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 09:47:56 AM »
Scott,
Sorry for the late posting...

Anyway, guys, here is some pics of the boat Scott is looking at...

'73 22-2...looks pretty good, like to see some interior shots... :thumleft:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 31, 2010, 12:20:13 PM
Reply #54

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
Nice Boat  8)

Seeing as how the bow rail isn't complete, that's a perfect excuse to take it off  :wink:

Good Luck, I hope it's what you're looking for
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

October 31, 2010, 01:06:02 PM
Reply #55

bumpster

• Information Offline
    • http://www.xtremeled.com
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »
Quote from: "MarshMarlowe196"
Nice Boat  8)

Seeing as how the bow rail isn't complete, that's a perfect excuse to take it off  :wink:

Good Luck, I hope it's what you're looking for
Instead of removing it completely you might think of having a low profile rail made. When it get snotty out its really nice to have something to hold onto. If I could thru bolt mine after removing the stock one I would have one that is maybe 6" high at the most.

October 31, 2010, 01:31:40 PM
Reply #56

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2010, 01:31:40 PM »
Thanks SB for this! Thanks guys...would take the rail off. The inside is rough....needs a floor for sure, owner says its soft.

Decided to go ahead and get it. 800 bucks as shown, boat, motor and tandem galvanized trailer with new tires and bearings. He's gonna take the motor off so will make for an easier haul. Its on the Eastern Shore of Md.

He says the hull is in good shape, never been wrecked. We'll find out next Monday.... :lol:

I'm a hopeless romantic....

GO CLASSIC AQUASPORT!!

October 31, 2010, 05:03:17 PM
Reply #57

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »
Good looking starter Scott.  I have a feeling this will work out better.

Good luck!
Niccolo Machiavelli

October 31, 2010, 06:36:14 PM
Reply #58

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
Thanks JJ, thanks guys...sure can't cry about the price. The trailer is worth 600 bucks. My main interest is a clean, unbroken shell.

The transport guy is hooking me up too. Charging 400 bucks to go get her and bring her back. 800 mile round trip...that seems more than fair to me.

Going there a week from tomorrow. Will take pics when she gets here.

REALLY appreciate everyone's interest, posts, and best wishes.

:cheers:

Best to the board,

Scott

November 15, 2010, 06:27:45 PM
Reply #59

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2010, 06:27:45 PM »
Marco Lieutenant finally called back re the criminal fraud charges. Said they didn't think they could prove "intent to defraud."

But they appreciated my interest. Well, we tried.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal