Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Must haves on your boat?  (Read 884 times)

May 18, 2010, 05:55:11 PM
Read 884 times

jdevoid

• Information Offline
Must haves on your boat?
« on: May 18, 2010, 05:55:11 PM »
Thought I'd ask,

Minus the required safety equipment what things should a boater have stashed on his boat?

I am or was a avid/racing cyclist- many of the experienced cyclist always carried a 12inch folded in to 6inch piece of duct tape with them on training rides. On the rare occasion of a tire blow out- one could insert the duct tape in between the new tube and tire to get home. ( A dollar bill and Powerbar wrapper could work- but not as well)

SO what do you guys carry for that rare occasion?   A 12 pack of course?

May 18, 2010, 07:34:29 PM
Reply #1

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: Must haves on your boat?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
Hi Jdevoid,

I would like to address this from a different angle... Your success or failure on the water begins at home. Preparation, predictive maintenance, knowledge of your boat, water, and intuitiveness are the tool kit you need. You can carry all the spare parts you want like fuel connectors, spark plugs, a section of fuel line, oil, spare filters, basic tools, spare propeller, etc, etc and some basic knowledge from a mechanical standpoint. But in my estimation, does your wife or girlfriend know how to drive the boat if something were to happen to you? Are you hyperfocused 100 yds downstream looking for flatwater behind a manatee tailtraice, a floating tree , a wayward boatwake while your twelve year old is grabbing something from dry storage and could be thrown out if you hit it wrong, a light colored spot in the water that tells you that the water is shallow? Do you know how your engine sounds and be able to hear a problem before the gauges or alarms sound a problem? My fishing or boating trip starts days before I go. In my 35+ years on the water, I`ve seen many people that have no business operating a vessel. I really believe this; when approaching another vessel always assume that the other driver has no idea what they are doing and drive your boat with that in mind and drive defensively. The basic rules of the road are foreign to alot of boaters/ wanna bees. I am not about a twelve pack and balls to the walls. Most of the time I have peoples trust and their lives in my hands so it is my responsibilty to act accordingly. Dont mean to be so dramatic, but I really love the water and its gifts and experiences to me and my crew so I cherish every moment.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

May 18, 2010, 07:50:38 PM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »
Here are what I might consider as a "Top 10" list - yours may vary:  

1.   Tool kit - pliers, adjustable wrench, slotted and phillips screwdrivers, electrical tape, wire cutter, knife, etc.
2.   Some of those $1 lightweight ponchos (it always rains when you or your crew forget rain gear)  
3.   First aid kit with hook remover, cold pack, dramamine, and extra cold beer to help with the pain or the whining
4.   Handheld/waterproof VHF radio - works when the crew is away from the boat or if your main radio goes out at the worst possible time
5.   Cheap waterproof digital camera - big fish and cool views always show up when you left the camera at home
6.   Map or chart of your area with some more cold beer - helps when you get lost or GPS goes down - did I forget to get ice again?  
7.   Pett potty system with bags - consider a pop-up shelter if your crew wants privacy
8.   Good waterproof LED flashlight - lasts a long time, helps find the right beer in a dark cooler, and works well underwater too
9.   Spare prop (does not have to be great, just serviceable) and floating plastic prop wrench - you will drop and lose a metal wrench immediately  
10. Fenders and maybe some cold beer for a raftup  

Hope this helps - did I mention you may want to include some cold beer?!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

May 18, 2010, 09:35:53 PM
Reply #3

Aswaff400

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
ICE!! atleast 2 bags per person! lol

i always carry atleast 6 life vests, 3 flares, tools, prop, extra gallon of 2-stoke oil, dual batteries is a must.

we always keep a surplus of stuff on our amberjack, spare bilge pump, 2 gallons of 50/50 water/antifreeze, gallon of motor oil, aquart or 2 of gear oil, about 20 ft of wire, spare fuel filter, spare oil filter. tool box. spare starter (we actually burned 2 starters in a year while offshore) spare light bulbs, fuses, butt connectors, zip-ties. im sure im forgetting a few things... we dont keep the boat at the house so we keep alot of stuff on the boat
Aaron
1996 200 Osprey SOLD
1968 22-2 Flatback SOLD
1993 210 Explorer SOLD
1991 Fountain 31TE SOLD
1989 Fountain 12-meter SOLD
1992 Talon F-20 SOLD
2021 Fountain 38TE QUAD 400's

May 18, 2010, 11:46:00 PM
Reply #4

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
Quote from: "jdevoid"
Thought I'd ask,

Minus the required safety equipment what things should a boater have stashed on his boat?

I am or was a avid/racing cyclist- many of the experienced cyclist always carried a 12inch folded in to 6inch piece of duct tape with them on training rides. On the rare occasion of a tire blow out- one could insert the duct tape in between the new tube and tire to get home. ( A dollar bill and Powerbar wrapper could work- but not as well)

SO what do you guys carry for that rare occasion?   A 12 pack of course?

I'm impressed with the response our fellow members have offered. Fitz says its great to have the necessities as specified, but do the homework for your boat BEFORE you leave the dock. GF offers much the same advice, as does Aswaff.  Point is, nip Murphy's Law in the bud. Run a strong boat, and regardless of her age, a safe, ship-shape boat. You owe this to your family, friends, and valued crew.

As those with experience know, safe boating is more than just crank her up and laugh as you leave the dock. The obituaries are there for all to see. I was thrown from a boat at the age of 28 against my will, while running an inlet in ten foot seas here in NC.  Long story, had a mate get scared upon seeing whitewater and jump off....throwing the crew off as well. Am fortunate to be sharing this story.

Good provisions are important. Ship-shape boat, very important. Knowledge/ experience/ concern for safety, good, trusted captain, most important.

May 19, 2010, 10:35:57 AM
Reply #5

dbiscayne

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35:57 AM »
spare fuel primer ball.  extra coolies.  Just about every outboard now has a fuse for the ecu somewhere under the cowling, good to know where that is & have a spare fuse (I know for sure a 1997 Evinrude has one).
and if you trailer your boat might as well start another list.  spare hubs w/bearings pre-greased & seal installed - I've got two different types of hubs on mine due to the brake setup pita, tools, clean rag, a jack that'll work with your trailer...

May 20, 2010, 06:54:07 PM
Reply #6

jdevoid

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:07 PM »
Boat is in!!

Thanks for all of your responses. I will now cull through them and start preparing for that rare occasion, along with addressing the points FITZ brought up.

May 27, 2010, 03:53:39 PM
Reply #7

JoseGaspar

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 03:53:39 PM »
Things not permanently affixed to the boat that I never leave without.....

EPIRB
25 ft. of dock line
tool kit (assortment of wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets, cutting blade, wd40, zip ties, assortment of connectors, piano wire, electrical and duct tape)
Stereo faceplate
extra oil
beer
ice
cast net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal