Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 1986 222 aquasport 225 johnson outboard wont take the throttle.  (Read 555 times)

August 27, 2015, 04:52:48 PM
Read 555 times

Fmaxwell

• Information Offline
Looking for help, I replaced the fuel lines, inline filter, water separator filter, tank check valve primer bulb and fuel pump. The boat will go under a load for about two hundred yards then dies. The inline fuel filter will then have a one inch air gap and the bulb goes soft.

Any help is welcome
Frank

August 27, 2015, 07:48:30 PM
Reply #1

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: 1986 222 aquasport 225 johnson outboard wont take the throttle.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 07:48:30 PM »
 Hi Frank,
How do you get it restarted? When you say the bulb goes soft, do you mean it goes flat and won't pull fuel to re prime?
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

August 28, 2015, 05:50:52 PM
Reply #2

Fmaxwell

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 05:50:52 PM »
Not flat but it gets soft like it loses prime. Then there is the air space in the inline filter. If I open the inline filter and pump the air out it runs until the inline filter becomes air bound again.

August 29, 2015, 05:28:45 AM
Reply #3

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 05:28:45 AM »
Well Max,
There are a couple of things this could be but by what you are saying about the bulb eliminates some things. Since it's not going flat it pretty much rules out a venting or fuel restriction issue up stream in the boat. What it may point to is air entering the fuel system somewhere and invading the fuel pump and losing prime. I would be checking all the hose clamps in the system from the tank to engine. Also a bad o ring in the fuel connecter at the engine can cause this, they will usually leak gas if bad but not always. I have also found that in line fuel filters do not completely fill with gasoline when running and can be misleading. I always advocate running the engine on separate 6 gallon tank and fuel line for testing and see if it changes the symptom and work backwards from there. You can also temporarily replace the section of fuel line in the engine from the fuel connector to the fuel pump with a clear fuel line and physically watch the air entering the system, then switch between the 6 gallon tank and the boats fuel system and see the response. You'll have to run the engine with the cowling off with someone else driving while you do this. Just some ideas help to get this pointed towards a solution.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

September 01, 2015, 10:05:06 AM
Reply #4

aqua719

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »
Well Max,
There are a couple of things this could be but by what you are saying about the bulb eliminates some things. Since it's not going flat it pretty much rules out a venting or fuel restriction issue up stream in the boat. What it may point to is air entering the fuel system somewhere and invading the fuel pump and losing prime. I would be checking all the hose clamps in the system from the tank to engine. Also a bad o ring in the fuel connecter at the engine can cause this, they will usually leak gas if bad but not always. I have also found that in line fuel filters do not completely fill with gasoline when running and can be misleading. I always advocate running the engine on separate 6 gallon tank and fuel line for testing and see if it changes the symptom and work backwards from there. You can also temporarily replace the section of fuel line in the engine from the fuel connector to the fuel pump with a clear fuel line and physically watch the air entering the system, then switch between the 6 gallon tank and the boats fuel system and see the response. You'll have to run the engine with the cowling off with someone else driving while you do this. Just some ideas help to get this pointed towards a solution.
:thumleft: best way to solve it!  had similar issue and found air getting in the line as well.

September 10, 2015, 01:00:20 PM
Reply #5

Fmaxwell

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »
I have found something I am not sure of. At the fuel tank where the pick -up line fitting threads in the pick up tube is not attached to the fitting, the tube seems to be permanently attached in the bung but I am not sure. I don't want to pry at it but I wonder if air leaks past the tube? Has anyone seen this type of setup before?

September 12, 2015, 02:56:17 PM
Reply #6

aqua1967

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
Hey Max,
I was looking for advice on my 222ccp fuel tank placement and found your thread, I couldn't  keep without adding my 2cents.
Fitz is a Master Tech, I can just see how he is pin pointing your issue, that's if you haven't found it yet but that was exactly how I found my "soft prime bulb-engine shut off" problem.
I was advised to isolate the fuel tank, I had twin 225 evinrudes and they would shut off within a few minutes after on the way, very frustrating.
I hooked up an above deck fuel tank with just enough fuel to recreate the problem, runned for over half an hour and the engines kept running, wright then and there I knew it was the fuel tank and components (hose clamps, hose barb/thread, pick up tubes, tube screens, tank vent, etc) I worked my way from the fuel tank vent and there was a lizard skeleton packed inside the tube that connects the hose, cleaned with wd40 reconnected the hose and back to the boat ramp, problem solved.
I've had the pickup tubes on my hand and the plastic tube inserts inside the "L" fitting that threads on the tank, then your hose barb, all these should be tight fit and should not come apart by just pulling, if it does replace the pick up tube ($15-20) on amazon. I was also told that some tubes have a screen that only creates problems, also some tanks have syphon valves at the hose barb that connects to the pick up tube, if they don't work it happens just like a well in a house loose prime, etc.
If by isolating the fuel tank you still have this condition, follow Fitz's recommendations and keep posting your progress, it helps others and I do hope you get back on the water.
Nelson

September 12, 2015, 03:26:28 PM
Reply #7

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »
I might have missed it but....

How old is the tank? :ScrChin:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 12, 2015, 08:43:40 PM
Reply #8

Fmaxwell

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
I believe the tank would be the original a1986...  I have borrowed a spare tank and will try it on Monday. Thank you all for your help.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal