Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Primer Solenoid Position and RPM ?  (Read 25623 times)

September 09, 2014, 03:04:18 PM
Read 25623 times

Billy Ray

• Information Offline
Primer Solenoid Position and RPM ?
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
Hi everybody,
   It's been a while ... but I'm back! My question is about the "Run" position for the Primer Solenoid. This is on a '97 Johnson 200 Ocean Runner. I included a pic from another post on here as it is exactly the same as mine. Now then. I understand that 3 o' clock is the start position used to bypass the solenoid and allow excess fuel to the Carbs. I also understand that 6 o' clock is the Run Position so you can use the Electric Choke to fill the Carbs. sorry for ranting, my ? is:

Does everyone, that has this solenoid, keep it in this position while running? I only ask because mine has always been in the 3 o'clock position prior to this and use to run fine. I put a new kit on it because it was leaking. I will test the boat this weekend and see if my problem is solved.

Next ?: While running the boat in the driveway, after warming up, my RPM's at idle are around 2800. Is this normal?

Thanks for any and all help! I missed this site, I used to have a 75' Aquasport 170 and sold it. Had a 79' Rabalo after that and now I'm back with my 97' 225 Osprey.
1997 225 Osprey w/h a 200 Johnson Ocean Runner

September 09, 2014, 04:08:14 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Primer Solenoid Position and RPM ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »
Quote from: "Billy Ray"
Does everyone, that has this solenoid, keep it in this position while running?

I can only speak for myself.
When I ran a 96 200 Evinrude, I did not change the solenoid position.

While running the boat in the driveway, after warming up, my RPM's at idle are around 2800. Is this normal?

Again, not for my motor listed above. Idle was about 750-800 rpm IIRC.

My ?:
Do you start your motor (in the driveway) using the throttle detent feature and if so, do you return it to it's normal (neutral) position after warmup?

Good luck and welcome back. :thumleft:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 09, 2014, 04:30:58 PM
Reply #2

Billy Ray

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:30:58 PM »
Thanks Bob!

Yes I sometimes use the throttle detent feature but I always return it to neutral. As of late I just cold start her in neautral and all is well. The RPM's sound a little high at first, but after she gets to a warm temperature the RPM's go down. I'm not sure if my gauge is reading accurately either. Thanks for the fast response.

To clarify, you said you never changed the position your solenoid was in. Would that be the 6 o'clock position like mine?

September 09, 2014, 04:59:56 PM
Reply #3

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »
To clarify, you said you never changed the position your solenoid was in. Would that be the 6 o'clock position like mine?

Yes and yes.
The solenoid was mounted as shown in your photo and the red lever was pointing (positioned) down (6:00).

I used the "key push choke" that utilizes the solenoid. I never had a need to bypass it.

The voltage regulator/rectifier may be showing signs of failure but often that occurs when the tach has no reading. Hopefully the pistonheads will speak up.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 09, 2014, 05:11:14 PM
Reply #4

Billy Ray

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »
Thanks again. I'll know more when I test the boat this weekend on the RPM's. Being that this is the FIRST boat I've had with all working gauges, I'm no stranger to not knowing what my RPM's are but I'll make sure to find out if they are correct. Just wondering what the typical RPM's are at IDLE and running.

September 09, 2014, 07:24:04 PM
Reply #5

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:24:04 PM »
The red lever should be over the primer solenoid body.. in your case the 6:00 position.  You only turn it (ie open it) if the electric choke solenoid fails and the motor is hard to start.  So leave it in the 6:00 position.  

The only other time you would open the lever is if you are decarbing the motor using BRP motor tune.  You remove the gray cap and thread on the hose for the motor tune cleaner... then you run the motor.. open the lever and inject the decarb cleaner into the motor.

Your engine has the Quick Start feature.  When the engine is cold on start up it will advance the timing to make starting the engine easier and it will advance the idle RPMS until the engine is warmed up.  Opening the throttle will disable the Quick Start system and return the motor to normal timing.  Out of the water the idle will normally be higher than in the water since there is no exhaust back pressure.  However even with the quickstart system engaged your RPMs should not be that high of the water at idle.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

September 10, 2014, 08:30:21 AM
Reply #6

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
Wing.. Good feedback!

I think I run at abt 1800 on idle (after warmup) on a hose.  I'll pay more attention this weekend and post a correction if I am off base.

Question - Is it better to administer the de-carb cleaning through the feed or spray directly into the carbs with the plenum removed.  The latter is how I did it last time.   I ask as I am due for another in Sept.  Thoughts?
98 245 Osprey / Johnson 225

September 10, 2014, 09:36:11 AM
Reply #7

Billy Ray

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »
Thanks Wing Time! I understand about the Motor Tune Cleaner. Keeping the position in line with the solenoid makes sense as I've had several people tell me 12 o' clock and 6 o' clock for its position. And I appreciate the input on the RPM's, The Boat sounds great and I'm sure my Gauge is off, I'll get around to the gauge after I replace my Trim Motor ... there is always something, lol. Thanks again

September 10, 2014, 12:14:49 PM
Reply #8

wingtime

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
Bruce, I think the advantage of injecting the decarb cleaner through the solenoid fitting is it distributes the cleaner equally into all the cylinders at the same time.  Also it's just plain easy!  Of course you will have to buy the special hose from BRP.  The one I have just snaps onto the can replacing the entire button.  So it may work on other brands of decarb cleaners.

Billy,  not sure if you have an owners manual for your motor or not.  If not you should try to find one since it does explain quite a bit about your motor.  For instance the proper start up procedure.  I was shown how to start mine by the mechanic at the dealer but the book explained the same thing.  

The start up procedure for both my Ocean Runner 225 and my Ocean pro 90 are the same.  First prime the primer bulb until it's firm(with the arrow facing up).  I make sure the shifter is in neutral. Next I turn on the key and let the system check do it's self test.  It will beep and then the all the lights will light up.  When the last night goes out I push in the key two times for a quick prime.  Then I turn the key to engage the starter.  If she doesn't fire I may push the key in once more and crank again.  Both of my motors will usually light off on the first or second try.  Once she is running I leave the throttle alone and let the Quick Start do it's thing.  When she is warmed up the you'll hear the idle suddenly settle down.  That is the Quick Start system turning off.  The only time I open the throttle is to clear the motor if I have managed to flood it (rarely happens).

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

September 10, 2014, 01:17:37 PM
Reply #9

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »
Starting these Jonnyrudes is more art than science and while my procedure mirrored Wing's to a point, I would spin mine first and then depress the key choke. I start my 91 Yamaha the same way (it's activated via a toggle switch rather than depressing the key).

Still, whatever ritual you choose to start your beast, remember that these motors need to achieve a minimum rpm (300 IIRC) in order to create the energy to fire the plugs and light them off. Therefore, it is just as important (maybe more so really) to make sure your cranking system is up to snuff with a fully charged battery, proper size cables to deliver that voltage and a starter that is in excellent working order.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 10, 2014, 01:32:44 PM
Reply #10

wingtime

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »
Capt Bob is right there is a science to it.  I should have stated that is my cold start up procedure for the first start of the day or even week month etc.  If the motor has been run in the last 24 hours then I spin the motor over first before giving a shot of primer (if needed).

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

September 10, 2014, 01:42:00 PM
Reply #11

Billy Ray

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
All good points. I do exactly as you said Wingtime for starting the motor, however I hold the choke in for a couple seconds rather than taping it twice. I understand the starting procedure and I also have 3 Fully charged Batteries at most times. I've had a fuel issue for some time now as my Motor would die on me after running a few minutes. I cleared and replaced Fuel Lines, Filters, Fuel Water Seperator, Anti Syphon Valve, drained my fuel tank, Had all 6 carbs professionally rebuilt and just recently replaced the Primer Solenoid which may have been the culprit all this time. I have yet to test it but now she starts and sounds better than she ever has. We'll see when I get her on the water this weekend. Thanks for all the great advice guys.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal