Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: What happened is really sad  (Read 354 times)

July 18, 2014, 08:57:59 PM
Read 354 times

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
What happened is really sad
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »
The Malaysian airliner being shot down:
I travel through the Amsterdam (AMS) airport - I think the largest in the world - many times a year and to hear about the tragedy of one of the planes from AMS hits close for me.
Regardless how this ends up, my prayers are with the souls that never saw it coming.
I have no clue who did this and no one else does either (forget the mainstream news please), so lets take a moment to give prayers to the souls who never saw it coming.

We have it so good in the USA.  Think about you and your family - even extended into your aunts and uncles - 10% of Americans hold a passport - 90% of Europeans do 2) be careful where you go - there are Gov't warning for where you go - heed them. I've been denied on a few occasions into countries. The Govt usually sends a 10 page reason why you can't go.
If you want an unbiased view of the world, find the BBC channel on your tv. They are proud to be truly unbiased and they usually cover everywhere to the east of them plus the US.  We usually cover the local, US and then maybe a little international.  We live a sheltered life.

Take a moment to send a prayer, in whatever religion you choose please.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

July 18, 2014, 09:30:55 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: What happened is really sad
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »
Sad indeed.

Whether it was a deliberate act or an incompetent user error, it shows how far humans on this rock still have to go to reach any chance of survivability in the Universe.

Maybe it's not so far fetched to think that in the end only the common cockroach will survive.

What truly sorry SOBs we really are as a species. :(
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

July 18, 2014, 09:42:35 PM
Reply #2

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:35 PM »
Fine post Rick. We have so much to be thankful for in the USA in comparison to our European brethren.

We were in France in April. In Paris, especially around the tourist zones, noticeable military presence. Toting automatic weapons and associated hardware.

Big boys and they weren't smiling. They deal with international terrorism on a daily basis, real or threatened.

Let's all say a prayer for the families of this tragedy.

July 18, 2014, 09:52:28 PM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
Sad indeed.

Whether it was a deliberate act or an incompetent user error, it shows how far humans on this rock still have to go to reach any chance of survivability in the Universe.

Maybe it's not so far fetched to think that in the end only the common cockroach will survive.

What truly sorry SOBs we really are as a species. :(

That's a different twist Bob, but the more I think about it....unfortunately you're spot-on.  We humans are a sad bunch. Fighting and killing since Genesis. Always for the noble cause du jour.

This isn't and won't be a religious discussion. However we are aware it was written that civilization began in the Mideast, and will end there as well.

We are living in interesting times.

July 19, 2014, 09:53:46 AM
Reply #4

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »
Rick - I've been through AMS - Schipohl many times too - it's a nice airport.  But you bring up an interesting topic:  do we always know where the flight plan is taking us when we book a flight - particularly on a foreign carrier?  Do you know if you will be flying over a war zone?  I was going to the Congo back in the 90s and was ready to book my flight when I noticed the flight plan for the Sabena flight flew straight over Libya at a time when the US and Libya were not on good terms.  No US-based carriers were flying that route, but maybe Sabena had a different view of risk...   :scratch:   I decided to reroute through London with a flight that went west of Libya.  The message here is to be aware of where that flight is going - to be on the safe side, check the US State Department warnings for airports and airspace:  http://travel.state.gov/content/passpor ... untry.html
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal