Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Anyone ever forget to put their DRAIN PLUG in at the dock?  (Read 1156 times)

March 21, 2013, 10:42:54 AM
Read 1156 times

pzart

• Information Offline
Anyone ever forget to put their DRAIN PLUG in at the dock?
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »
OK, for those of you who will admit it, Tell Your Story!...Here's mine

So....as some of you might know, I just got my 170 AS about a month ago and after some motor work and wiring work I splashed it this last weekend with great results  :cheers: http://www.classicaquasport.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10532

I then took her out again on Tues. evening to make a few more minor adjustment, she now runs perfect....so its time to take the little woman out for a ride. Now..... I am pretty excited about taking her out fishing on my new classic 170 Aqua Sport, she helps me at the dock then backs me in the water, I start it, wave at her to back me it further, she does, then I wave at her to go park the truck.

So while I am sitting at the dock I see the auto bilge pump light go on  :scratch: whats up with that :?: ....then  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: so I immediately turn on the 2nd bilge pump and then pop the lid to the rear bilge access. To my surprise....both pumps are working perfectly and actually draining more water than is coming in..... 8)  8)  8) ....I have a nice bilge pump setup.

I look up and the little woman is just getting out of the truck, doesn't seem to be anyone around at the ramp or bait shop so I holler at her to bring the plug and the wrench from the door pocket in the truck, I forgot to put the drain plug in. I have never seen her run so fast before, boy does she  :bounce:  :bounce:  then out of nowhere :scratch: six other people come running to help  :shock:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

I explain to everyone that it's OK and my pumps are keeping up and that all I have to do is reach down and screw the plug in, I thanked them and they left....now the little woman is mad at me for not telling her that and she had to run  :bounce:  :bounce:  all the way to bring me the plug.

MORALES OF THE STORY:

1  Follow checklist at dock, don't get excited.

2  Keep spare plug in boat too

3  Get the little woman to run more  :bounce:  :bounce:

4  Was she trying to save me? the boat? or both? hmmmmm  :scratch:

5  Get the little woman to run more  :bounce:  :bounce:
My Fat and Skinny Water Rides

My 1982 WellCraft Sportsman 248 350EFI/BravoIII

My 1975 AquaSport 170 110 Evinrude

March 21, 2013, 11:04:10 AM
Reply #1

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Re: Anyone ever forget to put their DRAIN PLUG in at the doc
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:04:10 AM »
Great story PZ!  Luckily I haven't forgotten the plug.... yet!  My SOP is to install the plug before I head to the ramp.  Usually things at the ramp can be chaotic and in the rush to get the boat in the water the plug is easily over looked.  I also have my "crew" well trained and the plug is questioned about several times before we launch.  What ramp did this happen at?
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

March 21, 2013, 11:18:50 AM
Reply #2

pzart

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
What ramp did this happen at?

At Sutherland Ramp in Palm Harbor, my little woman quit asking me about the plug cause I always told her...."of course I put the plug in"  :mrgreen:
My Fat and Skinny Water Rides

My 1982 WellCraft Sportsman 248 350EFI/BravoIII

My 1975 AquaSport 170 110 Evinrude

March 21, 2013, 11:25:47 AM
Reply #3

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
Never  :roll:

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

March 21, 2013, 11:51:16 AM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
Yes, I have.  14' v-hull no name I had back in the 80s.  By myself on a small lake by Eustis.  Like on a Tuesday morning with no one around, so no one to say, "Damn, your boat's sitting awful low..."

Threw the plug in, pump took care of the rest, off I went crappie fishing...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 21, 2013, 04:51:05 PM
Reply #5

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
I never forgot to put the plug in,I have done several unannounced tests of the water evacuation system :silent:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

March 21, 2013, 08:03:34 PM
Reply #6

pigbike

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »
I did in 1975 at the Courtney Campbell boat ramp. It was a Glaston boat I was water testing for Pioneer Marine. Trailer was still in the water and we just pulled it back on the trailer and put the plug in.

March 21, 2013, 08:12:00 PM
Reply #7

icemanbryan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
I have not as of today.
I have had mostly Whalers so not really a problem if I did.
On a side note, my boat was docked by a launch ramp.
Each Sat. a real jerk big mouth know it all F ck used to launch.
He would block the ramp, load up at the ramp,  yell at everyone and, take his time as well as way too much space.
Once we saw him leaving and sitting low in the water.
No one said a word, took him a few minutes to get it sorted out.
He came back to the launch screaming at whoever would listen.
Then he screamed at his wife for not installing the plug.
I never saw him again.

March 22, 2013, 02:18:40 PM
Reply #8

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »
I won't laugh b/c I am sure it will happen to me at some point.. Installing the plug on my Osprey while the boat is in the water  is definitely a "Get Wet" exercise due to the Euro Transom.  That hole is way back and under there!!  :shock:  lol.   I wonder if a Rule 1500 could keep up with the inflow of water..  not that I want to test it.

PS: My routine is to always put the plug in b/f I leave the house and b/f I put my tool box (where they are kept) on-board.

-Bruce
98 245 Osprey / Johnson 225

March 22, 2013, 08:01:51 PM
Reply #9

Mike 139

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »
My 76 had a rubber drain plug with a brass Tee that would go in from either side....Not the solid brass threaded plug that screws in....... BUT,,On a 2nd date with my wife... We got to the ramp and I asked her if she wanted to back the truck down the ramp while I held the Bowline.

She started backing up and I told her to slow down...she almost launched the truck, the boat went flying off the trailer, the rope out of my hand, and the stern submerged. Hell of a splash and got everyone's attention. I asked what happened, she said she wasn't used to driving a truck with no power brakes and a big motor (390).

I waded out and pulled it back in, hooked it up to the winch and pulled over to the parking area, pulled the plug and began drying everything off. After about an hour, I had HER hold the rope and we had a nice day on the water.

Normally, anyone/anything sinking my boat would have gotten me upset, but I wasn't mad at her...... She told me later, that she thought she'd never see me again, but 25 years later, I'm still around. I'm still looking for a 175, Any members here near St. Pete willing to take a quick look at one over there before I make a 3 hr. drive, PM me.

March 23, 2013, 06:34:53 AM
Reply #10

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
I found that nothing beats a checklist. We keep a Word document in the PC that I print and check off the boxes as I load the boat. It covers everything from the trailer up and from the bow to the stern so I minimize any surprises.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

March 23, 2013, 09:16:01 AM
Reply #11

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »
Quote from: "fitz73222"
I found that nothing beats a checklist. We keep a Word document in the PC that I print and check off the boxes as I load the boat. It covers everything from the trailer up and from the bow to the stern so I minimize any surprises.

I am organized in this way too Capt. Farl.

Remind me to tell you the story of "Rocky the Flying Squirrel".

March 23, 2013, 09:38:55 AM
Reply #12

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
Quote from: "gran398"

Now wait just a DAGBLAG minute!!!!  You can't be dropping that and not let us in!! As my kid would say, "OMG come ON!" :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

March 24, 2013, 12:14:46 PM
Reply #13

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
OK, on with the derail - from my favorite cartoon show - all 4 versions of the hat trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRW7pITY5Cg
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

March 24, 2013, 01:10:59 PM
Reply #14

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 01:10:59 PM »
Quote from: "dburr"
Quote from: "gran398"

Now wait just a DAGBLAG minute!!!!  You can't be dropping that and not let us in!! As my kid would say, "OMG come ON!" :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Well.... :roll:  :oops:  :roll:

MANY years ago I decided LATE one Saturday night that the next day I should go fishing.

The ramp was near the house, so loaded up the boat and took it there. I was alone. Backed her down, unhooked her...backed in a little bit more, bumped the brakes...off she comes. I did not have a rope tied from boat to trailer.

Well, she gets caught in the wind...and off she quickly drifts.

I get the bright idea :drunken:  that if I get a running start down the dock....and leap through the air....and grab hold of the bowrail...I won't even get wet.

So off I go full blast into the night. Get to the end of the dock...I'm Rocky the Flying Squirrel!!

Halfway through the air...I begin to realize this wasn't such a bright idea.

Landed on the bowrail all right...and cracked my mouth on the gunnel cap. The imaginary part about pulling myself over like a squirrel... didn't materialize. Slowly sank down into the water...fully clothed. Swam to the back of the boat to get in...but the motor was up.

Finally got in, cranked it up, berthed it, took all the gear off, got in the truck, went home, got a shower, went to bed. The former wife was not pleased. She refused to sleep with me. Didn't go fishing either.

Thus ends the story of Rocky the Flying Squirrel. The marriage ended shortly thereafter for additional causes that I'm sure weren't my fault either :shock:

:salut:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal