Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: THT...jeez Louise!  (Read 1309 times)

January 23, 2013, 12:33:09 AM
Reply #30

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: THT...jeez Louise!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 12:33:09 AM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
So one is parallel and one is serial - which one is right?   :scratch: Yep - both can be called daisy chained!   :shock:
Another reason not to use a confusing term.  :salut:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

January 23, 2013, 08:37:38 AM
Reply #31

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 08:37:38 AM »
Let me explain "series" wiring.  In a DC system, batteries are wired in "series" to produce a higher voltage system, be it 24V, 36V, 48V, whatever.  But you CAN NOT wire a group of components in series such that the components will now be 24V components, 36V components, 48V components.  In other words, you can't take (3) 12V trolling motors, wire them together in series, and make a 36V trolling motor.  That is why you see voltage operating ranges on equipment.  In DC wiring, "series" and "parallel" refer to the power supplies, not the appliances...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

January 23, 2013, 10:13:28 AM
Reply #32

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »
Well alright then, this will be my last input on this thread.

First let me say that I tried my best not to allow this to turn into something I knew it might, I still failed so...
That stated:

I understand the makeup of both series and parallel circuits and their uses. Did so before this thread came about.

I understand the use of terms in different industries may not always point at the same things. Also tried to hint that different terms are often used to mean the same actions when technically that's not the case. The true crux of this thread morph.

I understand voltage range as the range that the manufacturer of a device specifies for guaranteed operation of said device. It may indeed work, or not, above or below this range but the manufacturer doesn't care. All guarantees of operation are null outside of this range. The method of supply for proper type voltage within this designed range doesn't interest him as much as type and range.

It becomes obvious that series wiring is not desirable in a 12v system due to voltage drop across the components within the circuit.
Parallel circuits allow for, in theory, a constant voltage supply to components thus the circuitry choice for our boat fetish.
Series circuits do have a place, as pointed out, when a boating component requires higher voltage above the standard 12v many of us only require.

Now, let's really look at this thread.
It starts out (like another one just recently before it) "flaming" (in keeping with internet vernacular) another boating Forum. It linked a thread to the Forum and basically shows how they just love to argue over anything. I encourage members to read that thread again and then read this one from start to finish. The key is to read both threads carefully and digest what is written. If you're like me, you probably have no recognition of the members on the other Forum/thread but do on this one. See if you don't see some connection between these two threads. Agreed, this is a more civil discussion but still......maybe the term we really need to be discussing here is not daisy chaining. :idea:

Very interesting and by all means, carry on. :mrgreen:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

January 23, 2013, 11:41:18 AM
Reply #33

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
WHOA! look at this thread go baby!  LOL  I think what it comes down to... and mostly on the THT thread.  Average Joe boater public has no idea what series or parallel means and can be confused by the term "daisy chaining". A term that can clearly be used and interpreted in many ways depending on the industry, application etc etc.  When I hear daisy chain the "XYZ components together"  I know that means they are connected in parallel.  But I'm not average Joe boater since I studied electronics in school, have wired all kinds of DC stuff in my many varied hobbies over the years including cars, boats, airplanes, model trains, electric R/C and who knows what else.

Bob is spot on describing connecting batteries (a power source) can be accomplished in more than one way in a marine application.  Connecting 12V batteries in series is done to increase the voltage for something like a trolling motor or such.  We also connect them in parallel to increase the amperage available such as when we switch a battery switch to both to help start a motor.  We also wire certain components in series in a DC circuit, for instance a fuse or a circuit breaker is used in series.  Also a switch is wired in series.

One thing I have noticed is that when writing something verses spoken speech often it is very difficult for the writer to convey what he or she is trying to imply.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

January 23, 2013, 11:49:01 AM
Reply #34

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
I'm done, CB.  Didn't mean to have it run on this long, nor did I mean for it to develop into any type of "pissing contest".

Corner of 520 and A1A...

January 23, 2013, 12:53:59 PM
Reply #35

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
    • http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/index.php
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »
After reading this whole thing from start to finish great info but

CAS Jeez Louise!
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

January 24, 2013, 01:09:25 PM
Reply #36

icemanbryan

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »
I thought it was good reading and  informative.
It came back around.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal