You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: repowering options revisited 1994 Aquasport Explorer  (Read 571 times)

January 01, 2013, 11:59:36 AM
Read 571 times

kb2ski

• Information Offline
repowering options revisited 1994 Aquasport Explorer
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
Hello folks,
I have gotten through another season patching up the old Evinrude E200CZER 0's and my starboard engine trim motor is not working and it will not go down.  I cannot get the engine started either. I am about ready to bury them at sea!  The repairs with labor would likely be $1500 and that is more than I want to spend on these old gas hogs.   In researching replacement engines I continue to get conflicting feedback from various places I shop for engines.  The most recent one is that I cannot get a 30 inch shaft motor under a 225 HP that is newer.  Is this true?  Do I have have to use a 30 inch shaft or can I go with twin 150s 25 inch shaft without having to replace my transom mount for this boat to run right?  The boat shows are coming up and I am shopping for something in a good price range in the dead of winter.  I finally posted some photos so you can see the boat if interested.  It is under Aquasport 250 Explorer.   I am doing some pretty intense research so please feel free to pass along any good information on determining the right motors to put on here for price and fuel efficiency.  Thanks.

January 01, 2013, 12:07:20 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: repowering options revisited 1994 Aquasport Explorer
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:07:20 PM »
kb,
I would say that is true in regards to 30" shafts on less than 225 HP.  I'm sure you can do it (just swap out the LU), but most likely at a cost premium.  Your 250 is set up perfectly for twin 150s, 25" shafts, that is what I would be looking at.

Obviously, you've thought about Etecs as your rigging mates right up, unless your Rudes are so old they use the engine harness with the big red plug at the engine end.  Even the twin binnacle will mate up, using type 479 OMC cables (they haven't changed over the years).  You change over brands, and then you start to deal with an extra $2K or so in rigging, i.e. harnessing, binnacle, gauges, etc.  A pair of Etec 200 H.O.s would be sweet as well...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

January 01, 2013, 02:46:08 PM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: repowering options revisited 1994 Aquasport Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:46:08 PM »
There are aftermarket extensions to increase shaft length for most popular outboards.  Kinda like a "spacer" you put between the sections.  It's often less expensive than the driveshaft/midsection/shifter rod/water tube/etc. route...  :thumleft:

Bay Manufacturing specializes in these kits - there may be others as well:  http://www.baymfg.com/  

Good luck!!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal