You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 1987 222 Osprey  (Read 792 times)

December 24, 2012, 04:02:09 PM
Read 792 times

evanrolltide

• Information Offline
1987 222 Osprey
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »
Hello all,

I want to go check this boat out. I am looking for a boat to fish the beach to 15-20 miles out on the gulf coast of alabama/florida.

I've always liked these classic aquasports and really like the tower. I don't like that there is no live well, but that is fixable.

I've been looking around at boats this age for a while now but have no experience with them in person, so buying a hull this old is intimidating, especially because there isn't a ton of information readily available it seems. Any input on this particular boat? What I should check for in person? Or even if you think the 222 Osprey is a good match for my needs.

Thanks in advance,
Evan

December 24, 2012, 07:03:10 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: 1987 222 Osprey
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
Evan,
Keep this in mind.  A boat, regardless of manufacturer, will perform for years on end providing it was built right from the start, and it was maintained right over it's life.  Whalers have a die-hard following, yet their foam gets saturated and the boat ends up weighing twice what it did when it was built.  Gradys have a cult-like following, yet their use of wood in all the structural areas has resulted in rot beyond belief.  Seacrafts basically the same.  Makos?  Rotton wood, saturated foam, and suspect hardware used below the waterline.

But what it comes down to is hullform, ride, function, layout, and, I guess, looks.  So, that being said, when it comes to inspecting a boat, an Aquasport or any other, keep in mind it's age, and keep in mind that there are some areas that aren't gonna be the cat's meow because of that age and the use they have gotten over the years.  Be open minded, and realize that there are going to be issues with the boat that wouldn't be present on a new boat, and judge for yourself just how much those issues affect...you.

She's a good looker and set up well to fish, both in and offshore.  Members here will advise you as to whether they think the price is right or not.  But don't be afraid because of her age or because of a few little issues.

At least take a good look at her! :cheers:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

December 25, 2012, 03:04:23 PM
Reply #2

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
That is worth looking at!! With the condition of the teak it could be safe to say the current owner takes care of things. There are no badges and the splash gate is either not up or is missing and the hull is way to shiny for a southern lived hull, (too much sun and fun down there) I think she has had work done.  The price may seem high for an "old" boat but if you look at the builds that gran398, shortpants, RickK and Group W Bench are doing, the term "old" becomes a bit meaningless..

Do the motor bounce check to see the condition of the transom, don't be afraid of jumping on the deck to check for soft spots around the console.  Look up under the cap at the hardware mounts for weeping brown stains that will tell you if the coring has gotten wet..
Look in the console to see how bad the wiring is and check all the lights.  It's all fixable, just how much of your time do you want to spend and the more you need to spend should reflect in the offer that you make..

That motor can be a real stroker,:mrgreen: !!

Let us know what you find.. :salut:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

January 02, 2013, 02:17:52 PM
Reply #3

evanrolltide

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! I have been out of town but I am gonna try and check it out in the next day or so. Thanks for the tips on what to look for. I am a complete novice when it comes to this stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal