You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Unwanted battery draw  (Read 728 times)

December 07, 2012, 01:18:09 AM
Read 728 times

floridamisser52

• Information Offline
Unwanted battery draw
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »
Hello Folks,
    Thanks in advance for your help so here goes. I've got a '98 175 AS with the same year 90 hp evinrude crossflow . I've got a drain on my battery that will leave it dead in a week or so. Would like to know how to diagnosis and fix the issue. I've got a good test light so if I need to get a volt meter I'll get one if you think I need to. The " patch reef explorer " guy did one heck of a job on installing a battery switch in the starboard side of the console. Was just wondering how he installed the starboard to mount that switch on. And Sea Bob if you could chime in as well myself and many others would be grateful. Thanks again.

December 07, 2012, 06:46:16 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Unwanted battery draw
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 06:46:16 AM »
If you're talking about Mikerodrig27, you can see they screwed the starboard into the coring wood in the console.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

December 07, 2012, 08:33:06 AM
Reply #2

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:33:06 AM »
FM,
In regards to mounting starboard to the inside of a console, if there is enough existing coring to mount the piece, then simply screwing it in place (as Rick mentioned) will do.  If there is no coring, then t/bolting is the way to go.  #10 oval head machine screws with finish washers under the heads gives a good clean appearance...

Now, in regards to a battery drain, in theory, with the batt switch in the off position, there should only be 2 circuits that are "constant hot", one being the bilge float switch, the other being stereo memory (if you have a stereo).  Both of these circuits, once again in theory, should be fused close to the batt switch (within 7", but going a little further won't hurt).  Pull the fuses in each of these circuits and see if that stops the drain.  There is also the possibility that you have a bad cell in the batt, regardless of it's age.  This can be a bit tricky to diagnose, as rest voltage can appear to be normal (12.3 or so), yet as soon as any decent load is put on the batt, the voltage will drop down to less than 10.  

What I've noticed in batts with bad cells is that when you put them on a charger, the voltage only increases to around 12.7-12.8, whereas a "good" batt will show around 13.2-13.3 when charging.  Once the good batt is fully charged and the charger removed, it should show a rest voltage of around 12.65.

Hope this helps...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

December 07, 2012, 03:47:04 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
Seabob is right...  If you have a stereo my bet is the memory circuit is the culprit.  I have seen this many times.  For example my buddy has a 67 GTO...  he has a hidden Sony stereo that wipes out his battery in no time.  My Cessna had a little LCD clock in it that would draw my battery down in a few weeks.  Pull the fuse like Bob suggests and see what happens.  The best thing for any "toy" that has a battery in it is to get a battery tender and leave that on it when not in use.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

December 07, 2012, 07:39:55 PM
Reply #4

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »
Yep.  Stereo memory circuits have killed many boat batteries.

I would buy a cheap hydrometer and test the battery for a bad cell.  They are very cheap and save a lot of time troubleshooting.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... hydrometer
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

December 12, 2012, 09:00:37 PM
Reply #5

dxs217

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
Did you install a new float switch recently?

If so what type?

After I installed my new float, my batteries began a slooow drain. I discussed this with a few old timers around here and apparently it's not uncommon for these "newer" floats to draw power (real slow) even with the pump not on.

I rewired so the float is not hot unless the battery switch is on, this fixed the problem. I keep boat on trailer, if i'm gonna keep it in water overnight, i leave the battery switch on. Not ideal, but not a big deal for me. If the float wasn't so painful to replace (nearly impossible without removing motor), i would have put a different float switch in...
1999 215DC
Evinrude 200 FICHT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal