Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Question for Seabob or other experts  (Read 754 times)

August 08, 2012, 07:42:07 PM
Read 754 times

reeldrag

• Information Offline
Question for Seabob or other experts
« on: August 08, 2012, 07:42:07 PM »
Hi Guys,
I know this is an Aquasport forum but I believe Seabob worked for Pro Line some time ago. I'm looking at a 1996 Pro Line 2950 (with outboards) that needs new fuel tanks (2X150 gallon). I can do all the bull work, just not the deck reconstruction (glass work). They are aluminum & the deck needs to be cut for removal, between the tanks are two fish boxes so here I go with my questions.

Do I need to remove the whole deck or just on either side of the fish boxes to get them out?
Should I replace the tanks with poly tanks?
Are they basic rectangular tanks or some funky shape?
If I only need to remove the deck on either side of the fish boxes, can I put a coffin lid on like my 250XF has for future access?
I have no idea what the glass work will cost, any range estimates would be great?

Thanks in advance,
Curt

August 08, 2012, 09:23:02 PM
Reply #1

pete

• Information Offline
Re: Question for Seabob or other experts
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »
First of all...Welcome aboard sir! We are happy to have you with us!

Some pics of the boat and area in question would help the discussion,but in the mean time my .02 is that....
 1.You should be able to just cut the area around the tank.
 2.If you can find poly tanks the size you want,why not,my boat has a 101 gal poly tank
 3.yes on the coffin lid,glass a lip around the edge of the cut and use the deck you cut out as the lid,secure with screws and seal with 3m 4200.
4.no idea on cost,I would get several estimtes though,talk to locals and get some customers #s as a reference.
Good Luck! :salut:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

August 08, 2012, 09:26:10 PM
Reply #2

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
Curt,
Well, you certainly have your hands full.  She has "saddle" tanks, as you well know, and, unfortunately, PL didn't fashion the cockpit sole with removeable side panels so that one could have access to them to yank them out...so deck surgery is required.  For those who may not know, here is a pic of my buddy Jim's twin Volvo diesel I/O 2950, a bit different but basically the same.  The tanks live outboard of the motors in this pic, they live outboard of the stringers on a O/B...

My opinion is to cut out as much sole as you can, so you are not fighting the removal and then the installation of the new tanks.  I mean, you are going to have a lot of glass work, what's a couple more feet here and there?  As far as the shape, I would bet they are rectangular, but call Faron at (352) 795-4111, tomorrow, he'll tell you.  PL CS...

Cost?  I have no clue.  Some of our guys who are into re-building could give you a good estimate...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 08, 2012, 09:27:42 PM
Reply #3

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
Sorry Pete, was typing while you were...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 08, 2012, 10:06:03 PM
Reply #4

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »
:thumright:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

August 09, 2012, 05:22:19 AM
Reply #5

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 05:22:19 AM »
Welcome Curt!

Having re-read your post, appears you are looking at buying the boat, correct?

Since it's a '96 model, gonna throw out a few thoughts...

The tanks aren't all that old. Are we sure both are leaking? For both to be leaking, may indicate a much larger scenario....like the boat has sunk/flooded, been holed, etc.

Or could be neither tank is leaking, the fittings/hoses are leaking...is there gas in the bilge, and how much?

In this instance, the advice of a reputable marine surveyor is invaluable, and well worth the expenditure. Keep the survey to yourself if the tanks are good...you may be able to buy the boat for a song. Either way, you'll know.

If the tanks are indeed leaking...you'll have the expense of two tanks, two floor cuts, possible stringer issues in those areas....a potential can of worms. Trust the surveyor's advice :thumright:

Hope this helps, best to you and your search!

August 10, 2012, 11:28:49 AM
Reply #6

reeldrag

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 11:28:49 AM »
You guys are awesome!!!

I have not physically looked at the boat yet. Playing phone tag with a broker. Here is what I do know. The boat was having trouble with the starboard engine. They called in a marine mechanic and he concluded there was nothing wrong with the engine, it is the fuel tank. I don't know what the symtom was with the engine & I'm going to find that out. He may also be assuming if one tank is bad to replace both, not sure yet. The boat is being sold as is with the statement that both tanks need replacement, so I will assume the worst. When I find out more I will let you know.

Does one tank feed one engine only or is there a common line between the tanks?

Thanks again for your posts.
Curt

August 10, 2012, 01:08:34 PM
Reply #7

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »
Quote from: "reeldrag"
You guys are awesome!!!

I have not physically looked at the boat yet. Playing phone tag with a broker. Here is what I do know. The boat was having trouble with the starboard engine. They called in a marine mechanic and he concluded there was nothing wrong with the engine, it is the fuel tank. I don't know what the symtom was with the engine & I'm going to find that out. He may also be assuming if one tank is bad to replace both, not sure yet. The boat is being sold as is with the statement that both tanks need replacement, so I will assume the worst. When I find out more I will let you know.

Does one tank feed one engine only or is there a common line between the tanks?

Thanks again for your posts.
Curt

NO NO NO NO NO!!!  Fuel tanks don't make engines run poorly!  They simply hold fuel.  Pickup problems, vent problems, bad gas, THAT'S what makes engines run poorly!!  You can do a pressure test on the tanks (3 PSI for 14 minutes), this will indicate any leaks.  I would bet the issue lies with the fuel pickup barb and the anti-siphon spring and ball contained within...

The 2950 has fuel tank selector valves, each engine can be fed from each tank.  They are located on the stringers just below the bilge hatch opening, at the top of the stringers.  Open the hatch, there they are...

Now that we know a little more, unless there is an actual physical presence of gas in the bilge or other areas, or unless there is a strong gasoline odor, I seriously doubt the boat needs new tanks.  But one thing I DON'T doubt...that "mechanic" is clueless!

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 10, 2012, 03:25:03 PM
Reply #8

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
Maybe the mechanic gets a kickback from the crooked boatyard.

Bob hit the nail on the head. If the boat is priced as basically salvage....good for you. How much are they asking?

August 10, 2012, 05:47:03 PM
Reply #9

reeldrag

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »
Talked to the broker again asking for some more details. He said the tank has excessive condensation in it, they were able to look at the pick up tube (maybe through the sender hole) and the tube was heavily corroded. They assume it is pulling air some how at the tube. He did not know all the details but it does sound like they will need to be pulled. The tanks are apparently encased in dense foam (not good). Other than the tanks the boat looks very clean, hard top , full enclosure, radar and some dated electronics. Should I be concerned that the engines may have been fed some water over time? They are 225 Mariners. Compression tests will be a must. Asking price was 22K with the tank issues it is now 15k.

Thanks again,
Curt

August 10, 2012, 09:26:14 PM
Reply #10

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 09:26:14 PM »
Excessive moisture in fuel tanks is an everyday occurrence.  Absolutely no need to cut out and pull two tanks to deal with water.

The info you have been given is starting to smell. Trying to figure out their approach here.

They went from 22 to 15...offer them 9K cash, assuming the twins are good, and we'll get her right.

If there is no gas odor in the bilge (lift the aft hatches) the rest is ten cent stuff.

Careful on this deal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal