Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: What is it worth? Pre-owned boat price...  (Read 686 times)

August 03, 2012, 12:47:05 PM
Read 686 times

ioneyes

• Information Offline
What is it worth? Pre-owned boat price...
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »
Hi Guys...Just wondering if anyone knows of a website that will give a reasonable pre-owned sale price for your boat.  I went to NADA, but was wondering if there were other/better sites out there.  Been thinking of selling my 2003 215 Explorer and buying a Glacier Bay or Worldcat...

Thx...Greg

August 03, 2012, 12:59:20 PM
Reply #1

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Re: What is it worth? Pre-owned boat price...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
NADA is about it. Even then the numbers are not that close with the economy the way it is still.  You can also search around the web to see what everyone is asking for a boat similar to yours.   Either way it all comes down to what you as the seller and the buyer agree on!  Good luck!
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

August 03, 2012, 06:08:28 PM
Reply #2

RickK

• Information Online
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
I was reading Boating test results on some of the smaller cats by the same mfr and seems there is a "sneezing" problem with the 22-25 ft models. Guess it's regurgitated waves from between the hulls and comes back up over the front as spray. So welcome back to the v-hull spray effect.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 03, 2012, 09:56:46 PM
Reply #3

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
Greg,
What I would do is search 2003 215 Explorers for sale, get a low end and high end figure in mind, based on the "supposed" conditions of each boat, determine where your's falls amongst all those, then price accordingly.

Remember, what we pay for our stuff new seems to hold that value, to us, where in the real world, all chit depreciates...just not OUR chit... :wink:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 04, 2012, 06:55:51 AM
Reply #4

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 06:55:51 AM »
Greg,

One other thing that can equate to some serious dollars in boat value is get the boat/motor/trailer spotless, lubed and waxed. Your not hiding anything but enhancing what you have. Maintenance records are a huge factor because it shows history. A weekend of boat detailing and fixing all those little things like pumps, running lights, wiring issues, gauges, filters etc. says " I care" about this boat. I'm always amazed at the boats I see for sale that are full of stains, oak leaves, corrosion and generally in need of TLC and these guys expect you to write them a check for $10,000 and everybody is fat, dumb and happy. When I see a boat in that condition my fangs come out cause I'm going to beat you way down on price for the sake of some elbow grease and maintenance that the seller doesn't think is important. Lastly, be honest when someone asks you a specific question about the last time somethings been done to the boat. It's OK to say " I don't know" or "she's due for a water pump and thermostats" as examples.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

August 04, 2012, 11:06:35 PM
Reply #5

Bill

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »
Greg,

Try boatus.com. If you look at the column on the left side of the website, you''ll see "Boat Buying and Loans," and then check "Boat Value Check" under that. I haven't used it in years, but it was pretty good as I recall.

Regards,

Bill
"Shark Shadow"
22' XF

August 05, 2012, 02:24:35 PM
Reply #6

Mike 139

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »
Fitz has some good advice for a seller...NADA is a guideline with a low retail and average retail, loan would be avg. retail minus 20% according to the Credit Union.

I've been looking for a boat for several months now...The biggest issue I've found is that alot of people are less than honest. They will tell you that service has been done, when if fact it hasn't. Others have no clue about having the boat serviced with "it's run fine every time we had it out"

Last AS I looked at, seller advised it had carbs gone thru recently w/ water pump and lower unit service. When I checked the lower unit, oil was black and thin, had NOT been changed..five minutes into water test, the 115 Johnson started bogging down and cutting out,and surging, barely making it back to the dock at a fast idle. Seller advised his 'mechanic' told him w/ethanol, carbs would need overhaul every 3 months.,,He could not produce any receipts and I advised him to start off with a clean tank and replace the black rubber fuel lines,and fuel/water separator, than get the carbs cleaned and synched. And get a receipt.

The other issues i've seen is the condition of the trailers...leaf springs missing chunks of metal, rusted out, as well as hardware supporting the bunks and non-working lights,fenders falling off or gone, and cracked,dry-rotted tires.

Most people buy a 'package', boat, motor and trailer..few upgrade to a better motor, fewer yet upgrade from the galvanized trailer with leafs to aluminum with SS hardware and torsion. Very, very few of them seem to know how to rinse the trailer after use and grease the hubs. A little preventative maintainance goes a long, long way when it comes to boats.

It's absolutely buyer beware.

August 05, 2012, 08:47:39 PM
Reply #7

ioneyes

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »
Great advice from all.  I know many cats can have sneezing issues.  I rented a 26 Glacier out of Virgin Gorda and that baby just cut through the 4 footers without a drop over the bow and zero banging.  We were all amazed with the ride.  Seemed the faster you went the better the ride.

Thx...Greg

August 19, 2012, 05:14:29 PM
Reply #8

Bailey

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
Great advice as usual from everybody. Two things are selling boats these days, condition and price. I just sold our 225 Explorer and bought a Word Cat 266SC, repowered it with a pair of Suzuki 175 4 strokes. The Aquasport was an awesome boat, and solid as a rock, but the World Cat is a big step up, in price, seaworthiness and ride quality. I looked carefully at GBs and WCs, and went with our choice for a few different reasons, but either one is a great choice. I would stay away from Prokat for quality concerns.
Fell free to PM me with any questions.
Cheers,
Richard

1997 225 Ex, 200 Johnson Ocean Runner
Life is short, live like you mean it!!

August 19, 2012, 08:44:50 PM
Reply #9

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
For the real deal offshore workhorse....the cat is the answer.

Run through anything, anytime....and anchor in five foot seas....the swell runs through them, no problem. Plus they get great mileage. If you've never been in cat in the ocean...you owe it to yourself to check it out.

A hidden bonus....they shine at running over crab pot/lobster pot buoys.

When first introduced, we took a 21 Seacat with twin 45 Hondas 65 miles to the Gulfstream. On the way home, the seas went to 4-6 and breaking. We never got beat...and never got wet.

Here are some Carolina charter cats....berthed 12 miles from our Octoberfest Reunion. These boats regularly run 70 miles one way to the break:

http://www.oifc.com/charter_main.cfm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal