Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: I was told to ask, so I'm asking  (Read 3493 times)

June 23, 2012, 03:56:39 AM
Read 3493 times

jahoward1

• Information Offline
I was told to ask, so I'm asking
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:56:39 AM »
I originally posted this for Seabob but now I'm asking the general members.  I'm the owner of a 1997 Osprey 200 with engine problems (see earlier posts). Instead of another possible rebuild, I've pretty much decided to buy a used boat.  I even know a guy who's possible interested in my boat, engine problem and all.  I've been torturing myself lately looking at boats that I'm at least a couple of months away from being able to buy. Yesterday, I went to see a 2000 Aquasport Explorer 215 for $14K and a 1997 Wellcraft Coastal for 20K that I would have loved to buy. Both were nice but I have a couple questions for you guys if I may.

I want a 21-24 walkaround, something I can trailer between my house, the Delaware River and the Barnegat Bay. My ceiling is going to be about 20 grand; Although, it's not necessary to me that I spend that much. I've been looking at late 1990's-early 2000's boats and I keep running into decent looking Wellcraft boats but not as many Aquasports and I really like the Aquasport Explorer 215 and the 225. My question is, which is the better built boat and easier to own? I know that's a very general question but I'm looking at the cost to purchase, cost to run/keep, reliability, performance and of course which one will hold up better down the road (things like gelcoat, fiberglass, hatches, etc...

And my 2nd question kind of relates to my first but.  Is it harder to maintain an Aquasport since they're no longer in production? More specifically, is it easier to find items that are broken or just need to be replaced for boats that are still in production?

Finally, are there any of those years, for example: 1997-2004 that are better or worse for either Aquasports or the Wellcrafts?

I know that's a lot but I plan for my next boat to be with me for a long time. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

James H :afro:

1997 Aquasport 200 Osprey
"Sally May"

June 23, 2012, 07:19:30 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: I was told to ask, so I'm asking
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:19:30 AM »
My experience is only with the early to mid '90s Explorers (we are talking  walk around cuddys here - not center consoles, which I also own).
The Aquasports and Wellcrafts of those years may have looked a little different (the cap - particularly the cabin from the outside) but were made in the same facility here in Sarasota/Bradenton.  So it becomes a personal preference for boating brands.
As for maintenance costs, most brands don't offer a "store" that an owner can purchase parts from (that I know of anyway), so the owners are subject to browsing the inet and local surplus marine stores for parts.  I have dumped a lot of money into my Explorer not because it needed anything initially (all boats need something eventually), it was because we wanted it to be the way my wife and I wanted it. I think I have it finally the way we want it after 6 years.  Everything I bought for it was off the inet or local purchase.
So I don't think it is more expensive to maintain a new or old boat unless the boat has some major structural issues like a bad transom or floor, which neither is happening to my 230.  The transoms for the Explorers were poured from the early nineties (mine is) and there is some wood up the sides from the top of the poured transom to the top of the gunnel, where the lifting eyes are.
I think you should find the boat that fits 90% of what you are going to use the boat for and go from there.  My Explorer, when it is used  :oops: , is 90% camping and 10% fishing.  It's almost ready for either - I say almost because I can change out the freshwater tank for the fish tank if I'm going deep sea fishing/trolling.
If you have some time you can see what I've done to my 230 here http://www.classicaquasport.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1529&hilit=she%27s+finally+home
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

June 23, 2012, 08:43:02 AM
Reply #2

dxs217

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
My two cents:

There's probably not much difference in the structural quality of either hull.

If I was considering buying a boat for the long term:
1. Find the style/size you want. This is a big decision.
2. Find a lower cost boat with no motor or a bad motor. This may take a while. You never know what you're getting with a used motor. Could be a money pit.
3. Hire a marine surveyor to inspect the boat.
4. Avoid boats with any structural issues (floor and fuel tank included). Metal tanks rust.
5. Put a brand new motor/controls of your choice on it.
6. Most everything else can cleaned or self repaired.
1999 215DC
Evinrude 200 FICHT

June 23, 2012, 09:35:11 AM
Reply #3

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:35:11 AM »
The later Wellcrafts and Aquasports were made side-by-side in the same building.  The only difference in some of them was the decals.  In fact, I think a couple promotional AquaCrafts were made (SeaBob - check me on this!) with Wellcraft decals on one side and Aquasport decals on the other.  So the choice of brand for that period really does not make much of a difference.  But we all know the Aquasports are more sexy than the Wellcrafts, so you've got to consider that...  

Maintenance is about the same on any modern fiberglass boat.  The hull requires little maintenance other than cleaning, waxing, keeping fasteners tight, and making sure seams stay sealed.  Engines and their supporting systems (fuel, instruments, lubricants, etc.) are usually where most maintenance is required.  

Pricing for these boats is all over the map - it's amazing how the same boat year and model may be listed for $5,000 in one place and $15,000 in another.    :scratch:   Look around a bit and you may find a steal!  

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/sch/Boats-/ ... =aquasport
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

June 23, 2012, 09:12:37 PM
Reply #4

Capt Matt

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
    • http://www.captmattmitchell.com
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
I would worry more about the motor on the boat than the hull, a bad motor will cost you much more than the hull.
Capt Matt
www.captmattmitchell.com
Light tackle sportfishing

June 24, 2012, 09:39:22 PM
Reply #5

jahoward1

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
Thanks again everybody.  I really like the Aquasports, Hydra-sports, Seaswirls and Wellcrafts.  It just seems like I've seen better deals on the Wellcrafts I've seen so far.  RickK, that 230 is absolutely beautiful.  dxs217 and Capt. Matt, I think that's sound advice about the engines and I have experience with a motor becoming a money pit (see earlier posts).  And GoneFission, I've been looking at those boats and others on ebay.  I especially like that 2004 Explorer 225 for $23.9 but I'd probably need to buy an older one.  A nice 1997 Aquasport 215 Explorer just sold at another ebay auction for $9K.  

My wife and I viewed this 2000 Aquasport Explorer 215 at New Jersey Outboards in Bayville NJ.  The boat was selling for $13.9 and I loved her; however, my wife was not impressed.  She found two (what I called small) holes in the fiberglass wall near the floor and I thought it was an easy repair.  However, she didn't think they were small holes so she basically dismissed the rest of the boat.  She fell in love with a 1998 Wellcraft Coastal and probably wouldn't have cared if I bought it that day.  

Anyway, thanks for the advise.  I think if all things were equal, I'd probably pick the aquasport--C ya (I tried to attach the Wellcraft also but was unsuccessful)

James H

"Sally May"

July 20, 2012, 04:25:31 PM
Reply #6

jahoward1

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
But we all know the Aquasports are more sexy than the Wellcrafts, so you've got to consider...

Thats a funny quote but so true and I really don't know why? Aquasort boats are sexier.   I've looked at a lot of boats and nice boats, including some very nice Wellcraft Coatals but IMHO, the Aquasports are the sexiest.  Maybe I just have brand loyalty.

James H

"Sally May"

July 20, 2012, 05:10:10 PM
Reply #7

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »
Quote from: "jahoward1"
But we all know the Aquasports are more sexy than the Wellcrafts, so you've got to consider...
Thats a funny quote but so true and I really don't know why? Aquasort boats are sexier.   I've looked at a lot of boats and nice boats, including some very nice Wellcraft Coatals but IMHO, the Aquasports are the sexiest.  Maybe I just have brand loyalty.
James H

Yep, comparing an Aquasport to a Wellcraft is like comparing Brooklyn Decker to Bea Arthur.    :roll:   Or Christie Brinkley (she is STILL hot!) to Margaret Thatcher...  :tongue:   Aquasports are just soooooooo sexy!   :salut:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

July 20, 2012, 09:13:19 PM
Reply #8

jahoward1

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »
James H

Yep, comparing an Aquasport to a Wellcraft is like comparing Brooklyn Decker to Bea Arthur. :

Alright, I'll admit it, I had to look up Brooklyn Decker--GAWDDAMN!!!!  Then I had to shut that site down since I'm at work.

James H

"Sally May"

July 20, 2012, 10:17:23 PM
Reply #9

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »
John is correct about the similarities between Aquas and WCs, but the only true identical models were the 215 Explorer/210 Coastal, and the 205 Osprey/210 CCF.  The rest were entirely different animals, so to speak.  Yes, we used some of the same hatches on WCs and Aquas, but very little was standard across the 2 lines, other than hardware.  The boats built on my line (literally, a line, one boat behind the other, held about 8 boats) were the 225 and 245/250 Osprey, the 220 and 240 CCFs (WC), later the 230CCF (WC), the 215 DC, the 205 Osprey/210 CCF, and the WC 210 DC.

The cabin boat line (Explorers and WC Coastals) was set up basically the same way.  Explorer, Coastal, 23 Walkaround, all mixed in, all the same people building them.

Myself, from a build standpoint?  I'd go with the Aquasport.  A lot of WC's from my era still had a lot of wood in the stringers/transoms.  Not to say Aqua's didn't have wood (cockpit sole, cabin top, gunwales), but they had wood where if it were to rot, wouldn't mean taking the boat to the landfill if you didn't want to gut it and rebuild.  You don't see any old WC 18 Fish's being rebuilt these days, do you?  And that was an excellent fishing boat...

Just rambling, tired.  9 cockpit lights, 5 compartment lights, and all the speaker wiring run to the helm today on the Action Craft...that's 8 JL 7" speakers and 2 JL subs...PITA!!!

Corner of 520 and A1A...

July 20, 2012, 11:26:56 PM
Reply #10

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 11:26:56 PM »
It's not an AS, but I have someone down here in Pensacola, a former marine and friend, who was nailed for some pretty bad stuff and will be going away for a long time.  He has a 1999 cobia 240 WA with a 99 yamaha 250 OX66, the boat has been kept emaculate, dealer serviced for any issue, garmin 545, ray marine DX650 bottom machine, he owes 13k and change on it, and would probably appreciate it not going back to navy federal as one more thing against his inevitable bankruptcy.  If your interested PM me and I can find out if it is still available... It is a turn key big boat.  Oh and a nice aluminum trailer.  This is identical to his boat but his has a fiberglass hard top.
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/12819
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

July 21, 2012, 12:42:14 AM
Reply #11

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 12:42:14 AM »
Yep, comparing an Aquasport to a Wellcraft is like comparing Brooklyn Decker to Bea Arthur.    :roll:   Or Christie Brinkley (she is STILL hot!) to Margaret Thatcher...  :tongue:   Aquasports are just soooooooo sexy!   :salut:[/quote]

You covered all bases....except....

Kate Upton and Aunt Bea.

July 21, 2012, 02:02:10 AM
Reply #12

jahoward1

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 02:02:10 AM »
My wife and I viewed this 2000 Aquasport Explorer 215 at New Jersey Outboards in Bayville NJ.  The boat was selling for $13.9 and I loved her; however, my wife was not impressed.  She found two (what I called small) holes in the fiberglass wall near the floor and I thought it was an easy repair.  However, she didn't think they were small holes so she basically dismissed the rest of the boat

With much sadness, I found out that NJ Outboards has sold "MY" future Aquasport 215 Explorer.  Although, I didn't have the money to buy the boat at this time, I was secretly hoping that she didn't sell and was still on their lot till after January.  Oh well, hope the new owner enjoys her.  Here's a final pic.

James H

"Sally May"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal