Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: looking at a 05 175 Osprey  (Read 545 times)

June 12, 2012, 11:46:18 AM
Read 545 times

Mike 139

• Information Offline
looking at a 05 175 Osprey
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
Hi Guys! Been reading the forums for a while, haven't had an Aquasport since I sold my 170 several years ago.

I am going to water test a 05 175, it has an 04 90 Johnson 60 degree looper that came as a package...other than checking the transom cap and deck, anything about the last year on the hull I should be aware of?

The seller advises that according to the owner's manual, the boat will get 6.8 mpg at 3200 rpm and 24.5 mph...I haven't seen a 4 cyclinder 2 stroke get any better than 2-3 mpg, but I have no experience with the later and newer models.

Anyone have a late model that can share their pro's and con's? Thanks, Mike

June 12, 2012, 12:21:16 PM
Reply #1

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
Re: looking at a 05 175 Osprey
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »
Quote from: "Mike 139"
Hi Guys! Been reading the forums for a while, haven't had an Aquasport since I sold my 170 several years ago.

I am going to water test a 05 175, it has an 04 90 Johnson 60 degree looper that came as a package...other than checking the transom cap and deck, anything about the last year on the hull I should be aware of?

The seller advises that according to the owner's manual, the boat will get 6.8 mpg at 3200 rpm and 24.5 mph...I haven't seen a 4 cyclinder 2 stroke get any better than 2-3 mpg, but I have no experience with the later and newer models.

Anyone have a late model that can share their pro's and con's? Thanks, Mike

I had an 04 90 HP on our last pontoon (21 footer), it was a good motor, on the pontoon I figured her for around 2.5 to 3 MPG at cruising, obviously the non planing hull of a pontoon, and the AS 175, are going to be completely different, but I doubt that much.  I would venture a guess of real MPG at that RPM and speed to be more around 4 MPG, +/- some.  Only problem I had was starting after we had run the engine for a while, she just didnt want to stay running, on a hot start.  Had the carbs rebuilt (at the local BRP dealer) still was finicky.  The mechanic, who has been wrenching on OMCs for the last 40 years, said it is the design of the new carbs, emission compliance, said they need larger jets.  My nephew in Ft. Pierce experienced the same starting issue and the mech down there put larger jets in, and he never had a problem since?
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

June 13, 2012, 01:32:49 PM
Reply #2

Mike 139

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:32:49 PM »
Thanks Marc, appreciate the head's up on possible carb issue on warm re-start. The data plate on the engine shows 3/04 so it's an early build and might need reworking.

The model changed in 05, the 90 Johnson for 04 is "PLSR" for 05 it's "PLSO". I'll be taking it out Friday for a water test...the thing about used boats is they all tell you on a scale of 1-10, their boat is a 10. When you get there and check it out, they're a 1 or a 2, seems like very few actually take care of their stuff.

June 13, 2012, 03:01:39 PM
Reply #3

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »
besides guys on this site. WHen they say the boat is a 10.....it usually is:)

Most of us are in the process, or have converted a 1 or 2 into a 10.
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

June 16, 2012, 11:06:10 AM
Reply #4

Mike 139

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
Went to look at the 175 yesterday... It has been Marina kept the past several years...From what I observed, they use a forklift to store the boats in a rack in an open building, they had the boat in a cradle when I arrived.

Observations: The hull appeared solid, inside and out. I used a solid rubber 'deadblow' hammer to check for differences in sound as well as visual and weight bearing on the inside for any soft spots, especially around the console, seat area...there were none. I did find the grab rail on the console to be loose, appears the fasteners are in a difficult to reach inside upper console area.... I tilted the motor and engaged the towing bracket, I than put my weight on the motor and there was no transom flex...I did observe rust on the ram and cyclinder.but T&T operated smoothly and was dry.

I pulled the plugs and did a compression test, 125 all 4 cyclinders, small amounts of corrossion, green and gray on the powerhead. Attempted to check lower unit, brought large screwdriver, only to find out BRP/Johnson had gone to hex screws from slotted. Seller assured me he had a 'kit' complete with pump to change the oil,and had done so previously.

I observed it still has the orginal black rubber fuel lines as well as the batteries being over 3 years old. A plastic bushing on the throttle linkage broke off while holding the throttle open for the comp. test.

Water test: Forklift came and lifted boat into water..spun over a few times and started, smoking for first several seconds, than no smoke. Idled out to Intracoastal and once in the channel throttled up. It was choppy, about 1 1/2 -2 and windy. WOT ,on my Garmin76, showed 35.8 mph.this @5000 rpm.

Ride: To me ,the best boat I've ever had was my AS 170, this 05 rode solid, and once up on top, at about 3000 rpm, also was smooth. Handling was good and steering positive. (manual,teleflex) Even though it was not an ideal day to be on the water, the boat felt good and did not 'beat ' on me or vibrate/shake etc.

Trailer: Owner advised "trailer has less than 50 miles on it, since boat is stored at the marina. been kept in a barn." This is a 'package' trailer that came with the boat and motor. galvanized single axle...ALL the hardware, shackles, bolts,etc, need replaced. The leaf springs are rusted and the tires are original...8 years old.

The seller had advised  fuel milage of 6.6 mpg, but after researching, I found an article from a magazine that advised this was from an Evinrude E-tec motor, not a carbed Johnson.The 90 Johnson is good for about 3mpg. This was not a big deal when gas as under $2.00 a gallon, but Rec 90 non-ethhanol is pushing $5.00 a gallon, to run 60 miles in this boat would cost $100.00 w/o the oil cost.

Owner want NADA retail, I offered  less, cash in hand...he still has the boat and I'm still looking for one.

Aquasport made a good boat, right up till the end. This one has a solid floor, looks like you'll have to cut it to get to the fuel tank, BUT the tank is poly and not aluminum so should be good to go. I opened all the pie plates and looked in there with my Maglite.They used to pop up, now they unscrew and need grease or petroleum jelly on the gaskets and threads. Hope this helps anyone looking at a used boat and if any members here have a 17 for sale, please let me know. I'll give it a good home.  :)

As per a member's suggestion, I did shut it down twice during the water test...NPF on restart.

June 16, 2012, 06:58:19 PM
Reply #5

Mike 139

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »
Thanks Bob, but i'm looking for a later model....I will probably be spending alot more time up your way in August when the youngest starts classes...If you hear of an Aquasport built in this century, that would be good.  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal