Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Where should I put the stereo?  (Read 1213 times)

March 31, 2006, 12:06:01 PM
Read 1213 times

Ben87

• Information Offline
Where should I put the stereo?
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:06:01 PM »
The original console box, electronics box for the boat was a tray which hung from two thick aluminum straps at the rear and the front was bolted to the front/inside of the console, after some josteling/vibrating/ocean-running, the front holes holding the tray cracked, I re-drilled but those holes cracked again, so I resorted to strapping to keep the tray in place, but the strapping I would use would rust and eventually the tray would fall and end up useless, as it is, it is now out of the boat.  What would you suggest/recommend.  

I'm thinking of getting some stainless steel strapping, if there is such a thing, or more aluminum strapping and just reinstall the tray in the same general position but worry that all the free-play will make it loosen up over time, but it is the only option I can think of right now.  

I just need to put a stereo in, I have speakers already in the console sides and had a stereo in but the tray fell and eventually the Standard stereo died from all the condensation so I have to order all anew, should I go gimbel mount to the top of the console, or sink the stereo in the side of the console or rig the tray up so it is in there good and tight and secure?

March 31, 2006, 04:15:48 PM
Reply #1

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Radio(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 04:15:48 PM »
How about cutting a piece of starboard (or marine plywood) to fit the inside of the console to make a shelf?  You could then put screws around the outside to hold it in place or glass/epoxy it in place.  If you wanted, you could then even put a vertical piece in that would serve as a "dashboard" or radio mounting surface.  This is what I did and mounted my VHF and a marine AM/FM/CD in it.  It makes a fairly nice-looking mount that is study and also protects the electronics some from spray.  You can see a picture at:

http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... 500/page/1

Good luck and good fishin"!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

February 24, 2007, 09:36:50 PM
Reply #2

riverratjr

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:36:50 PM »
Right now I too am trying to mount  my stereo, gauges & get the wiring done (correctly). I keep returning to the console pics of Gone Fisson. That BEAUTIFUL look with the wood accent is what I hope to have someday. Function now & maybe .....  someday.
1991 ccp 222

February 26, 2007, 09:59:25 AM
Reply #3

Ben87

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »
I ended up putting the stereo where the VHF was originally mounted underneath the console.  On my console there is a large removeable panel that gives me access to the inside of the console where the batteries, switch, bus-bar all live.  Above that is a swing down door where there is a big tray that hangs by two aluninum straps and is screwed to the console, I put the stereo there and ran a wired remote (JBL) to the dash to the left of the helm so all is well.  The stereo is protected and the remote is waterproof.  So far all last season it worked flawlessly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal