Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Worth it  (Read 893 times)

May 31, 2012, 02:28:53 PM
Reply #15

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Re: Worth it
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
I spent the evening buffing and waxing my 1981 200XF walkaround.  I was really impressed with the gel on that boat.  polished right up to a perfect shine...  in some ways the gel is better than on my 1998 245 Explorer.    If that motor is new to you I would without a doubt replace the impeller/water pump,T-states, and the poppet valve.  You have no idea how old that stuff is and if they fail it can cost you the motor.  Sounds like your carbs or fuel pump might need some addressing as well.  If you service everything on that motor it shouldn't let you down.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

June 01, 2012, 09:20:28 AM
Reply #16

rtb67

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »
Capt Bob
I looked at the thread you posted. You really pimped out that boat. Im really inspired to work on mine. I also need to replace the molding on the transom. Did you ever find it? I would love to put a 50 Gal in and create some more storage. How did you know you needed a new tank. Did you smell gas?

June 01, 2012, 01:10:18 PM
Reply #17

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
Quote from: "rtb67"
Capt Bob
I looked at the thread you posted. You really pimped out that boat. Im really inspired to work on mine. I also need to replace the molding on the transom. Did you ever find it? I would love to put a 50 Gal in and create some more storage. How did you know you needed a new tank. Did you smell gas?

Well pimped out might just be a stretch. I transferred things from my CCP so many items can be classified as "used". The trim tabs, live well, cockpit Bimini, Flow scan, GPS, radio, sounder, compass are all from the CCP.

The factory transom trim is/was plastic (?). The section under the motor still is. I removed the curved section on the starboard side (least damaged) and had a local metal fabricator make one out of aluminum and reverse it for the port side. The starboard side fit fairly well (ya think) but I had to perform a little "field fit" on the port piece. Those didn't come out half bad but were costly for what they are. Still, they work well, look good from a short distance and I never could find any type of actual replacement that was used in those days.

Yes, gas smell is a dead giveaway to a leaking tank. :drunken:
I had also replaced the one in my CCP and used the smell of gas as a bargaining chip when I bought this boat.  :idea:
Careful though, tank shrinkage on this Forum isn't exactly greeted with hugs and kisses :wink:  but the logic behind it is sound when compared to the reasoning not to.

The factory size is 100gal.+/-. Knowing what and how you use your boat are the best determining factors. A new 100gal tank around here cost about a $1000, uninstalled. Add in new vent and fill lines and it's a little more, if you DIY. I have never personally burned a 100 gallons of gas on my boating trips at one time. The CCP had an 85 gal tank and I filled it only once or twice. Also having had a Flow Scan for 14 years, I had a very sound understanding of my fuel needs in relation to use. I felt very comfortable in reducing the size based on my consumption. I know, without doubt that I will never take this boat anywhere, for any length of time, that would require ever having more than 55 gallons on board (size of my new tank). I don't buy the argument that you can always carry less or the resale will be hurt. That's just me. You have to ask yourself the same questions or if money is not a problem then don't worry about it. Everyone's use and ideas are different.

When you pop the deck plates take a good whiff. Also look at the forward bilge and rear bilge areas. One indicator of a leaking tank will be the recognizable "sheen" fuel makes on water. Another and easier to see is the "tar" spots. Those black spots are often mold but if they feel greasy and smell oily, chances are is old fuel that is weeping into the bilge. The front bilge is the better spot to see/smell.

Good luck and post a few more pics in the Photo Gallery.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

June 01, 2012, 03:21:11 PM
Reply #18

rtb67

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
Ill try that with the alluminim fabrication. Thats a great idea. As for the tank, ill smell for leaks near the front bilge. I guess a 55 gal tank would be about $500?
I will post more pics when i get some.

June 04, 2012, 08:23:25 AM
Reply #19

rtb67

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »
[attachment=0:3lsbruit]photo.JPG[/attachment:3lsbruit]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal