Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: makes you wonder  (Read 417 times)

June 13, 2012, 04:25:03 PM
Read 417 times

Hawg Hunter

• Information Offline
makes you wonder
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
makes you wonder wth people are thinking ?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1687974040001/
Capt, Richard "DUKE" Bowen
Conyers Ga

1988 290 Aquasport XF

June 13, 2012, 07:01:54 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: makes you wonder
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
Read about that yesterday....

You know, we can all just sit back and say, "Well, some brain dead MF was really bored and...", and call it a day.  But 2 things come to mind.  First, the CG has to respond to calls such as these, especially when there is such serious nature behind the callers.  Yes, they may get the people numbers mixed up, as one of the guys pointed out in that vid, but that could be attributed to disorientation, panic, or whatever.  The the CG has to go out, at great monetary cost as well as putting human lives in danger.  Second, what kind of person that, when they're "bored", would stoop to such behaviors in order to alleviate their boredom, satisfy some inner need, whatever?  I mean, this behavior is really off the charts when it comes to "practical jokes" or anything of the like...

We have been seeing a lot more of this type of behavior, albeit not as extreme, in the form of lack of respect, inconsideration, who-gives-a-chit, laizze-fare type behaviors.  And not just from "young" people.  I sure as hell hope it's not a harbinger.  And with the press this story got...jeez....

Edit:  AND I SURE AS HELL HOPE THEY CATCH THE SORRYA$$ BASTARD!!!

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 13, 2012, 07:12:25 PM
Reply #2

Hawg Hunter

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »
:cheers: Well said , Bob I don't know but these new VHF radios coming out do they send a signal of the  boat ID ? MMS # or something ? When keyed up or just when they hit the destress button ?  I know Our police radio's  If we accidently key up they Know whos radio that it was. and they call to see if your OK
Conyers Ga

1988 290 Aquasport XF

June 13, 2012, 07:57:54 PM
Reply #3

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:57:54 PM »
Duke,
Only if the MMSI is registered.  I do a lot of new VHF installs, I always do a radio check (using channel 27 here in Tampa Bay, Sea Tow's automated radio check) to make sure the PL-259 connector is installed properly and I'm transmitting and receiving.  I don't mess with the MMSI number, that's the owner's deal.  So the Coasties, SeaTow, BoatUS, whomever, has no idea who I am, where I'm transmitting from, whether I'm on the water or land based...

Read this thread on THT, someone brings up the point about making all radios identifiable from point of purchase as to the owner, and someone makes the comment about privacy rights...http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... guard.html

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 13, 2012, 08:03:43 PM
Reply #4

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
No excuse for that,what if a real emergency had happened at the same time and lives were lost because the resources were not available.
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

June 13, 2012, 08:06:01 PM
Reply #5

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »
If you read my post on the THT thread...

Son of a bitch will talk, 'cause he's proud of his BS.  And the wrong person will hear the bragging a$$hole...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 13, 2012, 08:07:43 PM
Reply #6

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 08:07:43 PM »
Funny thing is, when I do my radio checks, I almost feel like I'm breaking the law because I'm transmitting from land.  Usually I state that this is a "new install"...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 13, 2012, 08:58:22 PM
Reply #7

Capt. Bill

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »
Most of us up here think it was more than a hoax, more like a diversion, or possibly something worse.  There were elements for the CG, NYPD, NJSP,  local authorities, commerical vessels, and private vessels all involved in the search. Every local network was also covering the story. With the attention of the authorities and media focused on the search, it sure leaves a lot of empty waterways to bring somthing in, or an prime target  for an attack on national television. When the initail call came in and was precise, gave a vessel name, desciption, location, and a lot of detail, yet lacked excitment or emotion. Second call gave injuries repots and stated all were off and on life rafts. It sounded almost scripted, like someone was reading it and knew excatly what to say.

The CG has offered a $3000 reward for info and has already traced the radio to a land based unit in northern NJ or Staten Island NY. Incidently, a 10 year old boy and his sister was swept out to sea while swimming near an inlet in AC while this was going on. Local lifeguards saved the sister, but they found the boy today. Not saying the CG could have saved the boy, but the AC based helo was off of Sandy Hook, along with 2 others, a C-130 search and rescue plane,  and 3 - 47'  motor yachts. These are the roll over boats based out of NY harbour, Sandy Hook NJ, and Pt. Pleasant NJ. Intial reports say it cost the CG $88,000 for the search.

I hope they catch and fry the b@$*%^s  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
Capt. Bill
Amy Marie
215 Explorer
Member # 2155

June 13, 2012, 09:07:21 PM
Reply #8

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 09:07:21 PM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bill"
Most of us up here think it was more than a hoax, more like a diversion, or possibly something worse.  There were elements for the CG, NYPD, NJSP,  local authorities, commerical vessels, and private vessels all involved in the search. Every local network was also covering the story. With the attention of the authorities and media focused on the search, it sure leaves a lot of empty waterways to bring somthing in, or an prime target  for an attack on national television. When the initail call came in and was precise, gave a vessel name, desciption, location, and a lot of detail, yet lacked excitment or emotion. Second call gave injuries repots and stated all were off and on life rafts. It sounded almost scripted, like someone was reading it and knew excatly what to say.

The CG has offered a $3000 reward for info and has already traced the radio to a land based unit in northern NJ or Staten Island NY. Incidently, a 10 year old boy and his sister was swept out to sea while swimming near an inlet in AC while this was going on. Local lifeguards saved the sister, but they found the boy today. Not saying the CG could have saved the boy, but the AC based helo was off of Sandy Hook, along with 2 others, a C-130 search and rescue plane,  and 3 - 47'  motor yachts. These are the roll over boats based out of NY harbour, Sandy Hook NJ, and Pt. Pleasant NJ. Intial reports say it cost the CG $88,000 for the search.

I hope they catch and fry the b@$*%^s  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Yes, the transmission BIG TIME lacked emotion...practice run?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 13, 2012, 10:23:29 PM
Reply #9

Hawg Hunter

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »
diversion, good possibility we had a case some years ago where someone called 911 on a payphone  and stated a police officer had been shot and they needed help , Well after we got the location Half of metro Atlanta Police were balls to the wall to get there, Shortly after we were on scene of where the pay phone was and canvasing the area  a bank got robbed less than 5 miles away, I have taken 10000s of statements and this was rehearsed like maybe a trial run for something else in the near future ?
Maybe getting the coast guard on there heels instead of checking drug boats maybe ? You  guys up north keep us updated we dont get all the news down here in the woods  :salut:
Conyers Ga

1988 290 Aquasport XF

June 13, 2012, 11:47:59 PM
Reply #10

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 11:47:59 PM »
Cost up to $300,000 now.  Hope they catch the bastiges.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Ya ... 78665.html
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal