Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Big Shark trolling for?  (Read 1518 times)

December 02, 2011, 11:06:55 AM
Reply #15

jdupree

• Information Offline
Re: Big Shark trolling for?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »
Quote from: "flounderpounder225"
A few years ago (1989-1991) when I was stationed on this tiny atol called Diego Garcia in the middle of the Indian Ocean, there were sharks everywhere, you could hardly catch a yellowfin tuna without getting only the head up to the boat.  Well there was a legendary Hammerhead called Hector (about 25 feet long) http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/hector.html during one of my final trips fishing before I transferred, I hooked up with a 18' to 20' hammerhead, with a huge shark hook and half inch nylon line on a amphibious troop landing boat, the beam of the boat is about 15 feet, and the shark was clearly sticking out on both sides when he went under the boat.  he played with us while eating the 3 ft shark I was using for bait, finally got tired of us, and opened the hook and left.  Biggest Shark I have ever personally seen up close in the wild. Must have been kin of hector

Hey Marc :wink:   Who did you piss off to get stationed in Diego Garcia :?:  :lol:  :lol:   When I was in the Navy we would always hear that if we screwed up we would end up in Diego Garcia :lol:
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

December 03, 2011, 07:56:34 AM
Reply #16

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 07:56:34 AM »
Quote from: "jdupree"
Quote from: "flounderpounder225"
A few years ago (1989-1991) when I was stationed on this tiny atol called Diego Garcia in the middle of the Indian Ocean, there were sharks everywhere, you could hardly catch a yellowfin tuna without getting only the head up to the boat.  Well there was a legendary Hammerhead called Hector (about 25 feet long) http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/hector.html during one of my final trips fishing before I transferred, I hooked up with a 18' to 20' hammerhead, with a huge shark hook and half inch nylon line on a amphibious troop landing boat, the beam of the boat is about 15 feet, and the shark was clearly sticking out on both sides when he went under the boat.  he played with us while eating the 3 ft shark I was using for bait, finally got tired of us, and opened the hook and left.  Biggest Shark I have ever personally seen up close in the wild. Must have been kin of hector

Hey Marc :wink:   Who did you piss off to get stationed in Diego Garcia :?:  :lol:  :lol:   When I was in the Navy we would always hear that if we screwed up we would end up in Diego Garcia :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Yeah JD, That was the rumor, and in the 70's it was probably more true, and where it got it's bad rep.  When I was there (89-91) it was a fisherman's paradise, 5 minute run from the dock in the lagoon, to get outside, half a mile from the beach your trolling in a 1000 ft of water.  The wahoo and yellowfin tuna were thick, all you had to do was spot a flock of birds hitting the water and over, usually all the rods would smack down and we'd have 5 yellowfins on at once.  I'll try to get some pics on here, don't have anything digital, but can probably do something from one of my hard albums.
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

December 03, 2011, 02:36:37 PM
Reply #17

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »
Quote from: "jdupree"

In the Air Force, back in the cold war days, it was Greenland.  Piss someone off, and you go a nice TDY for a year living in a glacier at some radar station near the North Pole...
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

December 03, 2011, 06:52:40 PM
Reply #18

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
[quote="jdupreeHey Marc :wink:   Who did you piss off to get stationed in Diego Garcia :?:  :lol:  :lol:   When I was in the Navy we would always hear that if we screwed up we would end up in Diego Garcia :lol:

In the Air Force, back in the cold war days, it was Greenland.  Piss someone off, and you go a nice TDY for a year living in a glacier at some radar station near the North Pole...

CJ, what about Minot, ND?  Guarding silos?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

December 08, 2011, 09:29:36 AM
Reply #19

saltfly

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
Yea thats a great white not a bull shark. man that thing is big. What they didn't know, was he was thinking lunch. :thumright:

December 08, 2011, 05:20:57 PM
Reply #20

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
[quote="jdupreeHey Marc :wink:   In the Air Force, back in the cold war days, it was Greenland.  Piss someone off, and you go a nice TDY for a year living in a glacier at some radar station near the North Pole...

You mean Whynot North Dakota?  Better than Tinker in Oklahoma...  :puker:  

When the 68th bomb wing was de-activated in 1982 (too close to the ocean and too vulnerable to sub missles), the B-52s, nukes, and a lot of the personnel got moved from Seymour-Johnson in eastern NC to the 5th bomb wing in Minot.  Not a lot of happy campers in that group...   :x

Don't you just love these derails?   :twisted:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

December 08, 2011, 06:00:10 PM
Reply #21

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
[quote="jdupreeHey Marc :wink:   In the Air Force, back in the cold war days, it was Greenland.  Piss someone off, and you go a nice TDY for a year living in a glacier at some radar station near the North Pole...

You mean Whynot North Dakota?  Better than Tinker in Oklahoma...  :puker:  

When the 68th bomb wing was de-activated in 1982 (too close to the ocean and too vulnerable to sub missles), the B-52s, nukes, and a lot of the personnel got moved from Seymour-Johnson in eastern NC to the 5th bomb wing in Minot.  Not a lot of happy campers in that group...   :x

Don't you just love these derails?   :twisted:

This is not a derail. This is a value-added, comfortable progression. Thank you :thumright:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal