You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Winterizing questions for 215 Osprey DC  (Read 863 times)

September 28, 2011, 07:03:18 PM
Read 863 times

who4ever

• Information Offline
Winterizing questions for 215 Osprey DC
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
Hi all.  Getting through my first year with the boat and all in all it was a good one.  I dock in a marina with full winterizing services a la cart and need some suggestions.  
First is battery winterization.  They charge $40 per battery for removal and trickle charging.  I was told by the mechanic there that battery 1 was "weak".  This was right after the hurricane and it may have been due to the bilge pump running a lot for those 24 hours.  I was told that the average battery life of a boat battery is 2-4 years.  Is this true?  I don't have the previous records but next time I am on the boat I will look at the batteries and see if they have an install date on them.  How would you play it?  Spend the $80 or buy 2 new batteries next year?  I was told that a mechanic can test the batteries under a load, but I would hate to throw more money away.
Second is antifreezing the live baitwell and the fishboxes.  The marina charges $65 but I don't know if that is for both systems or $65 times 2.  The fishboxes seem easy to me because the systems pumps water out of the boat.  Seems that all I have to do is pour antifreeze into the boxes and run the pump but not empty the boxes completely.  This leaves some antifreeze in the hoses and macerator pump system.  But how could I do the live baitwell myself, since this pumps water in?  I don't know where the water enters the boat from, and even if I do, how would I get the antifreeze in?  The boat would have to be out of the water, right?  Do I have to inject it in the boat under pressure or kind of run a hose into the inlet and pour antifreeze into the hose and run the pump.
Third is their outboard cooling system service.  Thermostats, popits, water pump and impeller are serviced.  I don't know if this means servicing or replacing.  I was told that this should be done every 2 years.  Is this correct?  It is kind of steep, $325, so I could use some advice on this too.
Naturally I will let them winterize the engine ($360) and shrink wrap it ($15 per foot).  I will also let them haul it, block it, power wash the bottom, and then in the spring they lightly sand and repaint with antifouling paint ($24 per foot).  Since I don't have a trailer or even a car that can pull a trailer, I will go with this option too.  Storing it over the winter at the marina was already paid for.
Any advice you can give me would be great.  Thanks and have a good autumn. Dave

September 28, 2011, 07:16:54 PM
Reply #1

pete

• Information Offline
Re: Winterizing questions for 215 Osprey DC
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »
what means "winterize"? :scratch: I like you're ideas about doing alot of it yourself,the battery life varies so 2-4 is about right,should be closer to 4 unless they were not kept charged and topped off,can you take them out and store at home and trickle charge?One of these will help you determine battery condition,
http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6- ... 90636.html

good luck bro,stay warm! :salut:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

September 28, 2011, 07:32:54 PM
Reply #2

plugger

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32:54 PM »
First you need to establish that the yard allows owners to work on their own boat.
If the battery's are even close to three years old ,bite the bullet and go new in the spring so you know where you stand.Winterizing the motor and fish boxes are easy there is a ton of how to on you tube.T-stats & water pump can be left for the spring.  Shrink wraping is optional. tarps from home depot can be reused annualy. If you get a chance see how/what your fellow boaters are doing after haulling im sure they would help a new guy.

COLD BEER MAKES FRIENDS

October 02, 2011, 01:09:04 PM
Reply #3

Capt. Bill

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
I agree with Pete, pull your own batteries and take them home. Store them in the basememt or someplace that stays semi warm and charge them yourself.  I charge mine at the end of the seaon and leave them all winter. I charge them again in the spring and haven't had an issue.

For the fish boxes you are correct, dump in the anti-freeze and pump it out. I also dump another gallon in afterward, helps if water gets in over the winter.

For the live well, find the pump and there will be a pump. Attached to the sea strainer will bve a plastic union that goes to the thru hull. Go to the local boat supply store and by the same one, and make sure its for a hose attachment. Also buy a 6 foot piece of hose and clamp the union to it. Attach the hose to the sea strainer and put the loose end  into a gallon of anti freeze. Turn on the pump and let it run until the anti freeze flows steady at the bait well.

Winterizing the engine means, fogging it, changing the lower unit oil, greasing the tilt and steering mechinisms, and some places they will run anti freeze through the motor. It doesn't include stabilizing the fuel, protecting the electrical connections, or the process above. The other stuff is usually part of spring start up. 3 years is the standard for the water pump, thermostats, and the like unless you have a habit of running shallow and stirring up the bottom.
Capt. Bill
Amy Marie
215 Explorer
Member # 2155

October 07, 2011, 11:15:08 AM
Reply #4

who4ever

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
To Pete, Plugger and Captain Bill, thank you for your responses.  But this is for you Captain Bill.  Could you please clarify a few of your responses.
You told me to store my batteries in the basement and charge them myself.  You said you charge them at the end of the season and in the spring.  With what do you use to charge them?  Is it a one-shot charging or a trickle charge that I've heard about?
You said, "for the live well, find the pump and there will be a pump."  What did you mean to say?  What do you mean "attached to the sea strainer will be a plastic union that goes to the thru hull, etc............"  Could you clarify for a land loving newby?
Also, one last, where is the intake hole in the hull for the livewell/washdown pump.  Couldn't I put a hose in the intake hole when the boat is pulled, attach a funnel to the hose and pour antifreeze into it until it goes through the system?  Wouldln't that work?
And one last thing about the batteries, I looked at the labels on them.  One is a DC-27P MCA/Reserve of 750/200 and the other is a DC-31, rated 900/230.  Shouldn't they both be the same?  If I were to buy new ones, which should I get?  I have a Merc 200 outboard 2 stroke carburator if that matters.
Thanks again, Dave

October 10, 2011, 08:01:34 PM
Reply #5

Capt. Bill

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Dave,

For the batteries I have a plain craftsmen battery charger that shuts itself off when the battery is fully charged. I fully charge the batteries one time in the fall (End of this month  :(  :(  :( ) and store them for the winter in the basement. Just don't set them on a cement floor. In the spring a give another charge, just to boost them up, than it's back to the boat. They usually won't discharge over the winter but I charge them anyway.

For the livewell I made an assumption you have a similar set up as mine, you turn on a switch at the helm to fill it. Mounted on the transome (the back) will be the washdown/livewell pump. It'll be directly above the thru-hull, and probably says sur-flow on it. The through hull is the bronze fitting in the bottom of the boat (the intake hole) that the water come through when you turn on the pump. If you look around you will find a shut off valve in the bilge. On top of that there will be a hose that leads to the pump. That hose attaches to the sea strainer, (clear plastic bowl shaped thing) with a wing nut style fitting. Take the wing nut off and un-screw the strainer. (these are usually hand tight) Take the strainer with you to the boat store to match up a new wing nut. Make sure you get one that accepts a hose, not the one for plastic pipe. Buy a 6 foot piece of whatever size hose fits, most likely 5/8" but it doesn't matter, a hose clamp, and a couple gallons on anti-freeze. (I use 4 but I like to leave a gallon in each of my fish wells) Before you re-attach the strainer take it apart and clean the screen. Push in flat side and twist. After you put the strainer back on, put the hose you just made on and stick the free end in the bottle of anti-freeze and turn on the pump. When the anti-freeze flow out at the livewell switch to the wash down.

As I mentioned above, the intake hole is in the bottom of the boat so pouring anti-freeze in would be though unless the boat was upside down. (sorry I couldn't resist) I guess you could try and fabericate something to pump it from underneath but it would have to be air tight. Any air gets in and it won't pump

I don't know why your batteries are different but mine are as well. Mine is a space restriction. She didn't come with 2 batteries when I bought her. I installed the second one based on the 1998 design. (mine's a 97) Unfortunately a full sized marine battery won't fit. They must have changed the dimensions in the 98 model enough to fit a second battery. I went to an auto-parts store and got the smallest car battery with the most power that I could find and put it in. It's wired so it's only function is to start the engine if the main battery fails.  It works just fine and in 15 years only needed it once.

When you buy new ones take the old ones with you and match them up. You have to turn the old ones in anyway or pay a core charge. I hope all of this helps, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
Capt. Bill
Amy Marie
215 Explorer
Member # 2155

October 10, 2011, 10:17:57 PM
Reply #6

who4ever

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »
Thanks

October 11, 2011, 07:22:24 PM