Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: My friend Scott  (Read 1118 times)

September 29, 2011, 09:02:22 PM
Read 1118 times

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
My friend Scott
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »
Some of you guys may or may not realize that Scott and I have been working on a semi secret clandestine plan to resurrect some original early 70's 22-2 replacement parts like exact replacement new bow hatches with the original diamond pattern non skid that was sourced through the original supplier in Texas, and then using his builder in NC to replicate; computer matched original Lima Bean Green interior gelcoat, and replacement transom mounted livewells. To date, here is where we are; the molds and first run hatches are done including the bow fish box hatch and the port and starboard hatches using Divinicell core.The gelcoat has been matched and is now in production. The stern mounted livewells are next depending on market interest if the molds are going to be made. Our out of pocket for the molds and first run hatches is $1000 for the exact replacement, original hatches. I have the first off being shipped to me for delivery tomorrow. You can imagine my interest in getting these hatches delivered tomorrow. I emailed my BFF Scott for a tracking number for the FED EX shipment so I can track their whereabouts. The response back to me was " I just loaded them on the truck being shipped to your plant 2 day delivery, look for a truck colored green with purple lettering, they should be on that truck". I can't imagine a better response than that. The ultimate measure of trust and devotion to my friend. I laughed my ass off in the middle of an offsite 2012 strategic business plan meeting working on goals, objectives and measurables for the upcoming year. It was perfect!
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

September 29, 2011, 09:18:58 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: My friend Scott
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:18:58 PM »
Quote from: "fitz73222"
Some of you guys may or may not realize that Scott and I have been working on a semi secret clandestine plan to resurrect some original early 70's 22-2 replacement parts like exact replacement new bow hatches with the original diamond pattern non skid that was sourced through the original supplier in Texas, and then using his builder in NC to replicate; computer matched original Lima Bean Green interior gelcoat, and replacement transom mounted livewells. To date, here is where we are; the molds and first run hatches are done including the bow fish box hatch and the port and starboard hatches using Divinicell core.The gelcoat has been matched and is now in production.

Well that explains why he's been wearing that trench coat this time of year. 8)

It now appears that he's much better at production than photography but then,
We all have our faults. :wink:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 29, 2011, 09:26:14 PM
Reply #2

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

September 29, 2011, 10:06:39 PM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »
:lol:

You guys are killin' me...and you know what...It's great to have a cot with a mattress in the family room here  "at the Club" :lol:

Fitz is right...and thank you my friend for apprising the board of where we are.

Guys, we have on hand NEW casting deck hatches for the seventies 22-2's. Absolutely beautiful, divinicell cored...but with a heavier glass layup than factory spec. For longevity. Fitz  will receive the very first set tomorrow. Two day guaranteed delivery from NC  to anywhere in the state of Florida...27 dollars. Gotta like that.

The gel. The famous seventies "lima-bean green" interior gel. Computer-matched to the interior of my casting deck, cross-referenced to the underside of fitz's supplied hatches. Exactly the same color. Fitz will whiz his britches when he sees those hatches tomorrow :lol:

This correct gel...let us know, we have it formulated and available. And will be cheap. Not looking to make a nickel in profit. Am sure you guys wouldn't have a problem paying 5 bucks a gallon extra over cost to defray the initial matching cost.

Bait-boxes:

This is not an inexpensive proposition. This will be a major deal, cash intensive. Will need to take orders/down-payment/earnest money to make it happen.

Ya'll please ck. the "Transom Livewell" post on Classifieds regarding this. I'm happy to help...but need input/ commitment. Money talks, and the rest walks...gonna run $1500 minimum plug/mold money to produce...so ya'll kick in if you'd like a set...and appreciate your help :thumright:

Captain Bob knows that we're forthright when it comes to sourcing OEM product. Hit a wall in the past with the green rubrail attempt. Not the case here. Thanks CB.

Fitz...thanks to you my friend. And thanks for cluing everyone in. Wouldn't be having this discussion had you not removed the hatches from your beautiful 1973 22-2...and shipped them to your dumb redneck buddy up here in Carolina :wink:

Thanks man :thumright:

September 29, 2011, 10:32:31 PM
Reply #4

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
    • http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
We have a local band named My Friend Scott,now i know where they got the name  :D

Seriously you two are stand up guy's doing a great service for our members and i salute you  :salut:  :salut:
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

September 29, 2011, 11:14:15 PM
Reply #5

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
As has been said...you can't beat that with a stick!  Well done, Scott and Fitz!! :salut:  :salut:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 29, 2011, 11:41:12 PM
Reply #6

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:41:12 PM »
Scott,

I believe you have a great idea that should appeal to many 22-2 owners.  If I may, I believe you can expand your target group if you consider offering to match any gel color.  Many have already redone their boats in a different color gel than the original, but I believe new hatches would still appeal to them.  Food for thought, good luck!

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

September 30, 2011, 08:23:33 AM
Reply #7

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »
Good teamwork guys :salut:   That is what it is all about :thumright:
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

September 30, 2011, 11:00:37 AM
Reply #8

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
Thanks very much guys!

Fernando, thanks, I knew I was forgetting something :lol:  Those hatches can be gelled any color the owner desires.

Gelcoat only: he doesn't spray Awlgrip or Imron.

Thanks again guys! Ya'll enjoy the pretty fall weather coming in tomorrow :thumright:

September 30, 2011, 01:41:00 PM
Reply #9

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Now that's cool!  Way to go guys!  This will save a TON of effort for anyone restoring an old Aquasport.  

For those about to rock, we salute you!!!   :salut:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal