Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: flat vs semi-v  (Read 1250 times)

August 25, 2011, 10:05:39 PM
Read 1250 times

rbrx

• Information Offline
flat vs semi-v
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:05:39 PM »
I am going to buy a hull to rebuild an older aquasport 222, but can not pick a semi-V or flat back. since I can only afford one boat I need one that can do it all.
( I know no such thing but I would like to dream)

I want to be able to go off shore and flats fishing, would like flat back for the shallows, but what about this thing with flat backs "sliding, or spining" I have never heard of this until now, and will a keel extension really prevent this. can anybody give some input.
thank you for all your input
Ryan

August 25, 2011, 11:42:58 PM
Reply #1

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
    • http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/index.php
Re: flat vs semi-v
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:42:58 PM »
Quote from: "rbrx"
I am going to buy a hull to rebuild an older aquasport 222, but can not pick a semi-V or flat back. since I can only afford one boat I need one that can do it all.
( I know no such thing but I would like to dream)

I want to be able to go off shore and flats fishing, would like flat back for the shallows, but what about this thing with flat backs "sliding, or spining" I have never heard of this until now, and will a keel extension really prevent this. can anybody give some input.
thank you for all your input
Ryan

Welcome aboard,A V should cut through the chop alittle better but a flat back will be alittle more stable(less rocking back and forth in a drift)where are you located so we know what kind of water your dealing with.
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

August 26, 2011, 08:34:37 AM
Reply #2

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »
I wouldn't be concerned about the sliding, just don't try to do a u-turn at high speed.  I have put my hull through the paces (trying to spin it), and I have not induced any dangerous slides.  Yes, it will slide - but not uncontrollably.

Flatties are not as good offshore - because they will pound in anything that you can't trim the bow down into.  Since the rear of the boat is flat, you rely on tabbing the nose down to cut through the seas.  If it gets too big, this just won't work.  Second, the flatback tends to bow steer, which is a b*tch in trailing sea.  That being said, I do take mine offshore, but I don't do it on big days.

August 26, 2011, 11:09:55 AM
Reply #3

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:09:55 AM »
The difference in draft between the flatback and the 12 degree semi-V is only 1"  

The semi-V will pound less and track better (especially in a trailing sea) that a flatback.  Remember the original flatback was based on the first 22-2 models that were made of plywood.  You could not get certain shapes out of ply that you can get with glass.  That's why the flatback does not have a compound curve bow like the later models - you can't make plywood do that.  You could do it with planking, but Coburn's first 22-2 models were not planked/cold molded; they were plywood.  The first boats were roughly based on the Scop Cruiser:  

The third generation Aquasports (the semi-V models, after plywood and the flatbacks) incorporated several other updates/improvements, including a little more beam, a harder outboard chine, and a lifting strake in the bow that helps the boat to plane more quickly and stay on a plane at lower speeds.  

My $.02 for you would be to go with a semi-V for your intended uses.  But if you love the lines of the flatties, follow your heart!   :colors:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

August 26, 2011, 04:12:55 PM
Reply #4

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »
If it were me I'd go with the semi-v.  It's more comfortable and will run just as swallow.

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

August 26, 2011, 04:22:48 PM
Reply #5

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »
That was a great post John.  I learned a lot I didn't know about the Flatback...   :)
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

August 27, 2011, 07:57:10 AM
Reply #6

rbrx

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 07:57:10 AM »
ok thank you for all the input.

It wounds like the semi-v may have it?

next question- what do you think about gunnel to gunnel tower, do you think this pushes the hull outwards over time, like a strap on a strap lift bends a hull in??

another question- whats the diffrence between a "poured hull" and multiple layers of the new composit matterials?? strength? weight?

August 27, 2011, 09:31:08 AM
Reply #7

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 09:31:08 AM »
As far as the gunwale to gunwale tower, I believe you lose fishability.  You can't fish and walk around the boat without being obstructed.  I'd go with a tower built around the console that way your gunwales are free of obstructions.

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal