Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Aquasport Osprey 215 Dual Consule Newby Questions  (Read 1418 times)

July 13, 2011, 03:39:00 PM
Read 1418 times

who4ever

• Information Offline
Aquasport Osprey 215 Dual Consule Newby Questions
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Ahoy everyone.  I am a first time boat owner.  Bought a 2000 Aquasport Osprey 215 Dual Console this year and am learning the ropes.  Seems to be a very stable boat and the dual console was just the hybrid type of boat I was looking for.  Didn't feel I needed a cuddy cabin because I have no plans to sleep in the boat or anything and have friends with cuddys that seem to be mildewy hoarding closets after a short period of time.  I do wish the boat had a little more dry storage, though.  I am using a cooler for the dry storage, but that is not the point of my posting.
First of all, does anyone know where I might get the Aquasport type cup holders that come with the boat.  They are sandwiched shaped, recessed into the sides of the boat by the consoles and rear seats.  I would like to replace at least 2, replacing all 4 would be better.  
Second, my rear fish boxes always have a lot of water in them.  Draining them with the macerator pump is just not something I remember to do, and when I do, it seems the starboard one drains much quicker than the port one.  Can these boxes be set up to drain by themselves or do I always have to put on the pump?  Is it unusual for one to drain faster?  Is there a valve that I don't know about that should be set in the middle for more even drainage?  And how does the fish box between the consoles drain?
And one last thing for now, I seem to need more cleats in the bow.  The center cleat (the only cleat) is used for the anchor rope.  Getting one bow line in there is difficult, and two is nearly impossible.  Have any of you installed extra cleats in the front, and if so, where is the safest place to do so?
Thanks for your advice and I'm sure you will be hearing much more from me in the future.
Dave

July 13, 2011, 04:34:32 PM
Reply #1

johnnylisa

• Information Offline
Re: Aquasport Osprey 215 Dual Consule Newby Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »
Cup holders:
http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/5_ ... older.html

"I do wish the boat had a little more dry storage, though. I am using a cooler for the dry storage, but that is not the point of my posting."

Do you have water in the consoles? If so, I'd certainly track down the source. We've never had anything get wet in either of our consoles.

Rear fish boxes - ours has a drain line from each box connected to a single "T" that then ran to a filter and then to a standard Flo-Jet water pump.  I've seen others that had a valve to switch between boxes, but ours is just a T.  I've never seen the system operate, as the pump was shot when we bought the boat.  Seabob4 says that a macerator pump for this application is definitely the way to go instead of the standard water pump:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7047

"And how does the fish box between the consoles drain?"

Center box - water drains from the bow seating area into the the grooved recess that the lid fits into and then through the hole in the rear of this groove straight down into the box.  The box has a length of PVC pipe that connects it to the rear bilge area.  Water drains from the center box to the bilge, but also can flow from the bilge forward when the bow pitches down.  I've got a cap to put on mine to keep the bilge water from flowing forward, and think I will connect the deck groove drain hole to the cap with a length of hose to keep the box dry.

As for the center bow cleat, we also use that solely for the anchor.  We use the side cleat just outside the the starboard side window and stern cleat for mooring.  Others would be far better qualified to answer questions regarding mounting new cleats (seabob4 used build these boats and is a great source of knowledge).

Hope this helps,
John

July 14, 2011, 10:49:43 PM
Reply #2

who4ever

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:49:43 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I printed up your response and will act on it.  If I have a further question, I will respond to the group again.  Just haven't had time to act yet but wanted to thank you for your time.   Dave

July 15, 2011, 08:51:07 PM
Reply #3

who4ever

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:51:07 PM »
Those cup holders are perfect.  Thanks.
No, I don't have water in the consoles, but I was referring to dry storage for smaller things, like wallets, keys, etc.  Just don't know were to put anything on the boat that I don't want to get wet, but the consoles are overkill, unless I put them in a bucket.  Do the storage bins under the bow cushions stay pretty dry?
Regarding the fish boxes, why does the boat have 2 boxes that fill up with water until I remember to pump them out, but the center fish box drains by itself?  And 3 fish boxes?  What do they think I'm going to catch out there?
I also need some side mounted smallstorage bins/caddies to keep small fishing items in reach, but not on the floor, like hook removers, needle holders, sinkers, etc.  I know there is not much room to put anything on the sides due to all of the cushions.  Do the suction cup ones really hold?  On a rocking, bouncing, wet boat?

July 15, 2011, 10:16:36 PM
Reply #4

johnnylisa

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:16:36 PM »
For items such as wallet, keys, flares, registration papers, etc., I carry an orange dry box similar to this:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10875
I keep it just inside the driver console door.  Big enough for these things and the color stands out so its easy to find.

As far as I know the bow area bins under the seats stay dry. We use the large forward one for stowing snorkeling gear, and the center floor for the kid's towed inflatables.

As for 3 fish boxes - the boat was designed by optimists  :sunny:

I suppose that the stern fish boxes were designed to be actively pumped out so that any residue from fish would forced through the hoses by the pump. If those hoses were gravity drained and clogged, that could get nasty.  On the other hand, our boat's factory setup has a fine mesh screen after the "T" connection and a standard water pump, not a macerator, so I'm not sure what their intent was. If you don't need the boxes to be actively pumped out, I would suggest disconnecting the hoses in the bottom of the bilge and let them drain directly into the bilge.  Our fish box hoses join at the T under the red arrow:

The suction cup storage bins were just a thought for easily moveable temporary storage.  I can't say how much jarring they would take and stay put.

July 15, 2011, 11:09:13 PM
Reply #5

who4ever

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »
A quick reply and even a picture!!!!!
You are the man!!!!

July 16, 2011, 05:22:09 PM
Reply #6

GoneFission

• Information Offline