Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Cottonmouth or Big Azz Water Snake?  (Read 630 times)

June 26, 2011, 02:17:01 PM
Read 630 times

slvrlng

• Information Offline
Cottonmouth or Big Azz Water Snake?
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »
Yesterday morning I go to walk down to the garden to pull some eggplant and 10 feet from the house I see a eastern kingsnake writhing in the grass. It had killed another snake and was eating it and pulling it out of a hole in the grass. The kingsnake was about 5 to 5 1/2 ft long. The other snake was no slouch, at least three to 3 1/2 ft long and about 2 inches in thickness. It was a brown color not dark and not green. No markings and a white belly. I didn't want the kingsnake to stop eating it so I didn't get too close. I couldn't see its head as the kingsnake had already inhaled it but it was freaking big and fat and had a really short tail. SOOOO!!!! What do you think it was??????  Sorry if you think this is gross but its nature and its good to have a "guard snake".   SIC EM BOY!!!!

Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

June 26, 2011, 04:30:04 PM
Reply #1

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
    • http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/index.php
Re: Cottonmouth or Big Azz Water Snake?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
Hard to tell 100% but having way to many run in's with water moccasins i would say water snake,they are usually brown,a moccasin has black in it.
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

June 26, 2011, 06:53:40 PM
Reply #2

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
Lewis,
Kings are GREAT snakes to have around.  The "victim", regardless of it's species, may have been a welcome snake as well...but apparently, he got to close to the king's stomping grounds...

BTW, you guys ever see 2 snakes getting it on?  I thought, "WTF?"...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 26, 2011, 07:41:47 PM
Reply #3

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »
Rattler.

They all rattle me.   :wink:

I don't know but now it's a good snake.

FYI I don't randomly kill snakes if I can ID them as harmless but I have to kill a poisonous snake.  Too many grand kids to worry about as well as my old azz.

I could tell a few snake stories but the biggest recent scare I had was in FL a couple of years ago.  I was unlocking the front door to go in and I looked down and was positive there was a coral snake crawling across my shoes.  It took me a few seconds to realize it was a scarlet king snake.  If I had had my gun in my pocket it would have been dead before I figured it out.   :shaking:
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

June 26, 2011, 11:07:40 PM
Reply #4

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:07:40 PM »
Quote from: "John Jones"
Rattler.

They all rattle me.   :wink:

I don't know but now it's a good snake.

FYI I don't randomly kill snakes if I can ID them as harmless but I have to kill a poisonous snake.  Too many grand kids to worry about as well as my old azz.

I could tell a few snake stories but the biggest recent scare I had was in FL a couple of years ago.  I was unlocking the front door to go in and I looked down and was positive there was a coral snake crawling across my shoes.  It took me a few seconds to realize it was a scarlet king snake.  If I had had my gun in my pocket it would have been dead before I figured it out.   :shaking:

Best to all for respecting snakes. Some folks like snakes. But I don't go for snakes. Any snake. Snakes have no feet for a reason.

I wish we had King snakes here, but we don't. Mostly black runners, corn snakes, cottonmouths, and timber rattlers.

I have my little dog here in the yard. My wife adores him, I do too. In my yard...well....its a flat shovel and sort the names later.

June 27, 2011, 07:48:41 PM
Reply #5

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
In my yard...well....its a flat shovel and sort the names later.

Yeah, if I can't ID them immediately then they are all dead when they get close to the house.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal