Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: New to the board & Aquasport Rebuilds, is it worth it?  (Read 5107 times)

February 07, 2006, 07:48:09 PM
Reply #15

billh1963

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 07:48:09 PM »
Hi warthog5,
Actually, Sam (cuonawv) sold me the boat and I have been the one asking the questions.

I hear you on the cost of the work and it is a real concern. A couple of people I have talked to are quoting a total restoration price (including enclosed transom, baitwell leaning post, and some other amenities) for $12K to $15K. Add in a new 90 or 115 and you're at $19K to $22K. Throw in basic electronics and a new trailer and you're at $25K and up. If you do some of this yourself the total inverstment drops significantly.

So, what does $25K get you? Well, you could get a similarly equipped new Mako 19, or a little larger Proline, Sea Hunt, etc. All are good boats with new hull warranty, modern ergonomics and amenities. Sounds like a good deal, doesn't it?

To me, it's not that great of a deal. I like the classic lines of the older Aquasport and, unless you're willing to spend big bucks for a custom built hull, you're going to be hard pressed to find a quality built hull with similar lines. I just don't like the newer style hulls. I guess at 42 (soon to be 43) I'm getting nostalgic (or I know what looks good)!

Also, as with anyone who has fished for a while, I have definite ideas on how I want my boat to be laid out. By starting with a quality hull I can get exactly what I want. I can make decisions on fuel tank size, console layout and position, fish box location, and even the number and location of access hatches on the deck. Many people spend serious $$$ to build custom for the same options.

Would it make more sense to buy a newer boat and save the money? Sure it would. However, if you wind up customizing the boat you'll be spending money anyway.

None of these may be good reasons to rescue an old hull and spend a lot of money to bring it back to life; but, when has boating ever been a decision of the brain versus a decision of the heart?
2008 MayCraft 18

February 07, 2006, 07:49:39 PM
Reply #16

billh1963

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »
JimCt,
Looks like you were replying as I was typing!
2008 MayCraft 18

February 07, 2006, 08:26:36 PM
Reply #17

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 08:26:36 PM »
This is a very unusual site.

I not really authorized to say this, but secretly encoded in every post is an CASMSM (Classic Aquasport mind scan meter).  For those select few of us who have this highly sophisticated and somewhat unstable software we can detect brainwaves.  It causes frequent platform crashes but if handled gingerly, it works more often than not.

DO NOT BE ALARMED!  The software is still in beta test and is not for general release... After you've been around for a while we'll see you get a copy.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

February 07, 2006, 08:48:50 PM
Reply #18

warthog5

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 08:48:50 PM »
HeHe  That's funny Jim.

billh1963  I was just bringing this to your attention, as you stated that you were thinking of farming out a bunch of work.

Most people on a bunch of the "Classic" site's do their own work, most all the way thru.

It's a common mistake with newby's to think that they can get a boat fixed up cheap and that's a basis for wanting to do it.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

There are also project's that have been started and then abandonded after they figure this out, only to be able to get $.05 on the $1.00 that they invested so far, if that.
"Just \'cause it\'s new, doesn\'t mean it\'s worth a Damn!

February 07, 2006, 09:10:27 PM
Reply #19

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 09:10:27 PM »
Warthog5's business sense is impeccable.  No quarrel there.  Judging by what I've seen of his work he knows whereof he speaks.

Guess all I'm saying is that, aside from the dollars, and they are certainly a big factor in any sane decision in life, a boat is a toy.  Unless you are a raw knuckeled harvester of the sea trying to earn what dollars you can to put a few crumbs on the table for your huddled family, this decision is also a matter for the heart.  Make no mistake, you will spend money pulling this old girl back from the brink.  But, and this is the nub of the question, will the money, sweat, bad language, frustration and lost TV time be worth it to you?  Dont worry what warthog5, me or anybody else thinks, you decide.  Everyone started off as a newby.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

February 07, 2006, 09:16:50 PM
Reply #20

billh1963

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 09:16:50 PM »
Thank you for the concern, guys. You are absolutely right... backyards across America are littered with dreams that became nightmares as the realities of buying that first gallon of resin kicked in.

I'm new to the Aquasport party but not to boats. I grew up in Beaufort, SC running a line of 80 crab boats at the age of 14 out of a rotten transom 17' CMF that was strapped together with metal plates. I then worked on shrimpboats all through high school.  I've owned and maintained over a dozen boats since then. I've never done a full blown restoration to a boat, though.

I'm at the point where it's probably more economically feasible and definitely much faster for me to pay someone with more skill than I have to rebuild the boat. My neighborhood in NC won't allow me to have a boat in the yard or even work on it in my garage. The boat is at my house in SC. Since I don't get down there but once a month or so, the rebuild process would take forever.
2008 MayCraft 18

February 07, 2006, 09:41:41 PM
Reply #21

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 09:41:41 PM »
Bill,

HA HA!... It Works!

The CASMSM program will be released from beta sooner than the engineers thought.  You are indeed a raw-knuckled harvester of the sea!

You must regret ever having brought the subject of your boat up.  What with an angel on one shoulder and the Devil on the other, each whispering their song into your ear...
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

February 08, 2006, 12:26:55 AM
Reply #22

warthog5

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 12:26:55 AM »
My neighborhood in NC won't allow me to have a boat in the yard or even work on it in my garage.

With that statment alone. STOP! Go buy you a running boat you like.

Here's why.  You obviously live in a higher end neighborhood with the Natzi homeowner's assoc.

Nothing wrong with that if you just want to mow grass and wash your car, but if you want to have a major hobby project, forget it.
I assume that your not retired and have to go to work, you may have a family that need's your attention. If the project is not where you can get to it easy, you will find every excuse not to go to the boat and work on it, or your fanily will decide that for you.
There are yon's of time's I have something going that I need to check on after a coat has been laid It need's another coat in say 4 or 5hrs. It only takes 15min to do the next coat.
Are you going to get in the car at 8:00 at night to drive 15 to 20min to spend 15min putting another coat on? Most people wouldn't.

IMHO You are doomed to fail. I worked hard to get what I have so I can do large scale project's. People at work would alway's be in Ah as to the tool's and shop I have.
I tell them it's simple. You chose to have children and I didn't.
I have a small house 1325sqft on an acre all fenced. My shop is 1680 on the same property. I can spend $30- $40 a week on tool's and not give it a 2nd throught.

I'm not trying to brag here. I'm just trying to put thing's in perspective.
I've been building on my boat for 4yrs and have never run it. Just a couple of week's ago I floated it for the 1st time.
http://www.classicmako.com/projects/xshark/bw44.htm
"Just \'cause it\'s new, doesn\'t mean it\'s worth a Damn!

February 08, 2006, 07:07:48 AM
Reply #23

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 07:07:48 AM »
Wart's right!  That distance alone to your rebuild will leave a sour taste in your mouth.  That's just too far.

I bought my boat in April 2004, thought it would take about a year to get done.  Here I am 21 months later and I just got the transom glassed in and now starting on the stringers.  Think it will be another year before she's back in the water - which means another 3 years or so.

Rebuilds are not like brain surgery or building a nuclear fussion reactor. Fiberglass is fairly forgiving - if you make a mistake you can always grind it back off and do it over the right way. Any guy with average ability, and some basic tools can do a boat rebuild. It takes planning, patience and the sheer will to get it done. But you have to have the space for the project.

I really enjoy putting this boat back together, but my project is in the back yard. Every free hour I have I'm doing something on the boat. I keep telling my wife that it's better than me going down to the tavern on my days off, chasing bar maids or drinkin' with the boys, by-jimminy-cricket.
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.
Should spash her in the summer.
Just don\'t know which summer.

February 08, 2006, 07:38:09 AM
Reply #24

scott_gunn

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 07:38:09 AM »
Or, you could buy an old Aquasport that "works" as is so you can start to enjoy it, and pay people to make upgrades every now and then.  Over time, you'll have a fully customized boat.

February 08, 2006, 07:47:23 AM
Reply #25

billh1963

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 07:47:23 AM »
Warthog,
It sounds like you have a nice set-up. The absence of kids and spare income makes projects like these much more palatable!

JimCt,
Will this CASMCSM software be shipped on a CD or is it only available for download?  :wink:

I do have a lead on a nice 19-6 that has had deck and transom work in the past ( but no engine) for $2500. That sounds a little high to me, though.

Everyone,
I am still not totally dissuaded! My vacation house is 4.5 hours away. That does preclude any kind of major rebuild activity. My intention would be to farm out much of this large scale work and focus my efforts on the detail work.

I appreciate all the words of wisdom. Everyone on has a valid point both for and against the project. I'll keep the forum posted as I finalize my plans and make a decision. I would hate to see this hull go to waste!  :(

Bill
2008 MayCraft 18

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal