Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: what is the GOOD, BAD, AND THE UGLY about 2000 Aquasport 27  (Read 892 times)

June 18, 2011, 10:03:55 PM
Read 892 times

5satins

• Information Offline
Hi every , I am A NEW MEMBER to this forum.  I posted this question on the "old" Boat US forum where I was a member since 2007.  Hope I am not too wordy but this is it:

I have owned a number of boats and the last 3 have been a 25' Tiara I/O for 17 years, a 30' Searay Weekender with straight inboards for 7 years and presently selling my 230 Hydrasports WA.
I moved from the Searay to the Hydrasports because my then 9 (I was 62!!) year old son wanted to ski and tube. I love to fish but my wife was spoiled by the 11' beam of the Searay and all the creature comforts. We had the Hydrasports for 3 years.
I want to stay with OB's and want to find something more "beefy".  I love the Stamas but too much wood in their glass construction. One comment I read from an ex stamas worker was the saying at work was "it took a tree to build a stamas".  I was never addicted to Grady Whites or Boston Whalers but always liked the reputation and looks of the Aquasport.
The 275 looks great but I don't know anything about them. I am looking for any comments or advice on their quality, construction, gas tank l access and material because of the ethanol time bomb we boaters now live with.
I am a DIY guy that prefers to do his own work when possible and very meticulous in doing it.
That is why I need a trailerable boat (no winter storage bill) and now some yards won't even let you paint the bottom thanks to DEP and OSHA.
Any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.  You are the true Consumer Reports of boating.
Thanks and I hope I will be able to join the ranks of Aquasport owner.
5satins

June 18, 2011, 10:23:16 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: what is the GOOD, BAD, AND THE UGLY about 2000 Aquasport 27
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:23:16 PM »
Quote from: "5satins"
H I love the Stamas but too much wood in their glass construction. One comment I read from an ex stamas worker was the saying at work was"it took a tree to build a stamas".  
5satins

That wouldn't be me, would it?  Actually, it takes a forest...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 19, 2011, 12:23:17 AM
Reply #2

5satins

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
Boy that's embarrassing about the wood in a Stamas, my first post and I misquoted someone already.
You know, that just didn't sound right the way I had it.  Yes, you were right "Paul Bunyan" it was a
FOREST, and it was your quote most likely when I was looking for comments on the Stamas board at Boat US.
Enjoy tomorrow, that is when we get to cook what we want to eat and may not have to do the dishes.

June 19, 2011, 09:42:33 AM
Reply #3

Double Trouble

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »
I have a 2000 275 Explorer overall I am pretty happy with it.It handles well in anything up to 3 ft.after that it becomes a slight challange.Mine seems to be happy running at 4000 to 4200 RPM's she does 23 to 26 knots and tops out at34knots@5800RPM's thats with twin 200's 3 people and half tank of gas.She has alot of fishing room for a 27 footer.The cabin is a little tight for more then 2 people the head is of poor design and tough to use,the console has very limited access and the bilge is tough to work in.I have done alot of cosmetic work to get her the way I wanted her.She has an aluminum fuel tank 188 gals. only access is a pie plate to get at the valves and sender it would have been nice to have a removable panel over the whole tank.She is a pretty solidly built boat fit and finish is not the greatest and the gel coat on the hull is not the best.If you have any specific questions let me know.

June 19, 2011, 03:30:20 PM
Reply #4

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 03:30:20 PM »
I saw the head in the 275 and couldn't figure out how they could have designed it like that  :scratch:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

June 19, 2011, 05:41:37 PM
Reply #5

Double Trouble

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:41:37 PM »
Quote from: "RickK"
I saw the head in the 275 and couldn't figure out how they could have designed it like that  :scratch:

They woke up for 2001 and turned the head on an angle and removed enough of the step so you could get in without climbing up.

June 19, 2011, 06:38:10 PM
Reply #6

5satins

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »

[Reply from 5satins
Still getting hang of forum procedures, hope this follows as a reply to Double Trouble and Rick.

Real helpful  info you provided. I had heard from my mechanic ( I don't do everything myself) that he recalls the cabin being a bit tight and something strange about the head. I still don't know exactly what the head problem is but I know it exists.  I did find some construction facts that say no wood is used in the stringers and transom and the transom is quite beefy.  Hope that is true.
Wow, Double trouble, you must buy the blue masking by the carton.  Not sure but it seems you did the non skid areas in a light grey, looks super.  You have to really love the boat to put that effort into it.  I have restored a 1958 15' Owens runabout because that is what I owned last century and am in my third childhood, also working on a Cutter, and the only reason was I really liked those boats and they meant something to me.
Again, thanks for the details, so far I am proceeding to plan to purchase the 275 barring any major negative.  This may be the last boat I own (unless I hit powerball) so I want the boat to have good bones to work with and to last.
Hey Double Trouble, does the boat help to attract the fish, or is it your skill?    5satins

June 20, 2011, 05:57:30 AM
Reply #7

Double Trouble

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:30 AM »
Quote from: "5satins"

[Reply from 5satins
Still getting hang of forum procedures, hope this follows as a reply to Double Trouble and Rick.

Real helpful  info you provided. I had heard from my mechanic ( I don't do everything myself) that he recalls the cabin being a bit tight and something strange about the head. I still don't know exactly what the head problem is but I know it exists.  I did find some construction facts that say no wood is used in the stringers and transom and the transom is quite beefy.  Hope that is true.
Wow, Double trouble, you must buy the blue masking by the carton.  Not sure but it seems you did the non skid areas in a light grey, looks super.  You have to really love the boat to put that effort into it.  I have restored a 1958 15' Owens runabout because that is what I owned last century and am in my third childhood, also working on a Cutter, and the only reason was I really liked those boats and they meant something to me.
Again, thanks for the details, so far I am proceeding to plan to purchase the 275 barring any major negative.  This may be the last boat I own (unless I hit powerball) so I want the boat to have good bones to work with and to last.
Hey Double Trouble, does the boat help to attract the fish, or is it your skill?    5satins

The boat can get you to the fish but catching them is up to you, how much skill and luck is involved I have been trying to figure out for near 50 years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal