Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Jigging for Amberjack  (Read 1783 times)

March 20, 2011, 07:26:06 PM
Read 1783 times

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Jigging for Amberjack
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »
Anyone on here have any tips on how to butterfly jig for Amberjack?  Since grouper is off limits in federal waters I figured I'd shift gears to something with a tad more fight this season.  I have seen and heard about vertical or butterfly jigging and I like what I have seen so far.  Suggestions for jigs, line, rod and reels typically used would be great.  Thanks!
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

March 20, 2011, 07:56:30 PM
Reply #1

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
Re: Jigging for Amberjack
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:56:30 PM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
Anyone on here have any tips on how to butterfly jig for Amberjack?  Since grouper is off limits in federal waters I figured I'd shift gears to something with a tad more fight this season.  I have seen and heard about vertical or butterfly jigging and I like what I have seen so far.  Suggestions for jigs, line, rod and reels typically used would be great.  Thanks!

So you want to go knockin on the door of the "House of Pain"  Well I can Hook you up.  First off, contact this guy, I bought a pack of these over on THT, and they are awesome, $40 for 6 of the 200 Gram (7 oz) normally these run around 12-16 each in the store.  http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-mis ... -jigs.html

Next, you need a jigging rod, Shimano make the Trevala Butterfly Jigging Rods, now you may have never seen anything like this before, these jigging rods LOOK like a 15-20 class rod from the weight and size of the rod, then you look at the designation, and they are 80-200 class rods, weigh nothing and have the backbone of a rhino.  If you have a Bass pro near you, they have their own brand called off shore angler
 http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_151-2-3

This is the one I bought, the 80-200 class, you would swear they are made by the same company, and may be for that matter.  The weight, for-grip angle cut grip, everything down to the details is the same as Shimano, but a lot less pricey.  

Now the reel, you need something strong enough for the AJs with some serious brakes on it, and a fast retrieve.  I used one of my Shimano Tiagra 16's Gold 2-speed, and you must spool it with braid, at least a couple hundred yards, and you can back it with mono to reduce the cost of spooling it.  The braid is sensitive enough and works the jig properly, mono stretches too much in the water column, especially in the 100+ range of water, you want immediate response when jigging.  Many techniques on line, just look some up.  And hang on, cause when the freight train comes by, he ain't pullin into the station.  Any questions, let me know
Marc
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

March 20, 2011, 09:34:41 PM
Reply #2

Glock Diver

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
Quote from: "flounderpounder225"

So you want to go knockin on the door of the "House of Pain"  Well I can Hook you up.  First off, contact this guy, I bought a pack of these over on THT, and they are awesome, $40 for 6 of the 200 Gram (7 oz) normally these run around 12-16 each in the store.  http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-mis ... -jigs.html

Next, you need a jigging rod, Shimano make the Trevala Butterfly Jigging Rods, now you may have never seen anything like this before, these jigging rods LOOK like a 15-20 class rod from the weight and size of the rod, then you look at the designation, and they are 80-200 class rods, weigh nothing and have the backbone of a rhino.  If you have a Bass pro near you, they have their own brand called off shore angler
 http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_151-2-3

This is the one I bought, the 80-200 class, you would swear they are made by the same company, and may be for that matter.  The weight, for-grip angle cut grip, everything down to the details is the same as Shimano, but a lot less pricey.  

Now the reel, you need something strong enough for the AJs with some serious brakes on it, and a fast retrieve.  I used one of my Shimano Tiagra 16's Gold 2-speed, and you must spool it with braid, at least a couple hundred yards, and you can back it with mono to reduce the cost of spooling it.  The braid is sensitive enough and works the jig properly, mono stretches too much in the water column, especially in the 100+ range of water, you want immediate response when jigging.  Many techniques on line, just look some up.  And hang on, cause when the freight train comes by, he ain't pullin into the station.  Any questions, let me know
Marc

THAT explains why I never hear anybody around here catching AJ's!  It sounds like a helluva chore with the special jigs, special rod, reel, and the pre-fishing weight lifting involved!  I was just talking to a dive buddy about this very topic.  Neither of us have ever caught an AJ, and weren't sure why.  

However, I can tell you they are plentiful at the offshore reefs, due West of Sanibel.  A spearfisherman's dream!  :thumright:
1997 Aquasport 225, 200hp Johnson OceanPro

March 20, 2011, 10:01:48 PM
Reply #3

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
You absolutely do not need Jigs for the AJ though, I caught more than I ever cared for with a live bait rig, a nice size grunt (ruby red lip) on a flat line with a small 1/2 oz egg sinker on the main line (carolina rigged) if you are over a wreck and the AJs are down there, you'll get one.  The jigs just make it more interesting, and no live bait catching.
Marc

March 20, 2011, 10:05:30 PM
Reply #4

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
Have you ever heard of the "Fantastico" wreck?  We went out of Ft Myers Beach and I think it was about a 60 mile run.   Just drop down a frozen sardine on a grouper rig and hold on.

We caught and released four each.  All cookie cutter.  The old man had a 100# Boga Grip and they all weighed between 43 and 47 lbs.  There are bigger ones on that wreck but they kept busting our 80# line.  They were in a frenzy.  Most of the bites came as soon as the bait hit the water.  The last one I caught that day was on a 20# snook rod with an old original Rapala.  That was the easiest fight of the day and did not take any longer than it did on the broom stick rods.

I don't have the numbers but it's well known and probably on the public charts.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

March 20, 2011, 10:11:40 PM
Reply #5

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:11:40 PM »
Like Marc says, if they are there, anything will work.  Some days there is just no live bait.  I get tired of reeling up to re-bait.  Jigs takes care of all of that.  I have done pretty dang good on a standard 4-8 oz. lead jig with a giant curly tail grub, not just AJ's but grouper and snapper too.  My biggest red grouper (13 lb) was caught on a jig by the rod holder while I was digging in a bucket of KFC.  :lol:
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

March 21, 2011, 07:08:47 AM
Reply #6

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:08:47 AM »
Quote from: "John Jones"
Like Marc says, if they are there, anything will work.  Some days there is just no live bait.  I get tired of reeling up to re-bait.  Jigs takes care of all of that.  I have done pretty dang good on a standard 4-8 oz. lead jig with a giant curly tail grub, not just AJ's but grouper and snapper too.  My biggest red grouper (13 lb) was caught on a jig by the rod holder while I was digging in a bucket of KFC.  :lol:

Proof that all this extra fancy stuff may help in a slow bite situation, but when it comes down to plain old fashion fishing, if the fish are there, your going to catch em.  And as JJ said, something like a big buck tail jig will catch just about anything from a cobia to a snapper.
Marc

March 21, 2011, 02:05:31 PM
Reply #7

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »
Everybody's right...They're very competitive with each other, and fight for the bait!

Getting back to the jigging set-up. If you want to target AJ's check the fishfinder and find out at what depth they're holding. They make braided line in "colors" seems like the color change is every ten feet. So if you're in 200 feet, and the fish are at 60 feet....you let out 7 color changes (70 feet) and start jigging. The boys that took me have a specialized technique for AJ's...big fast sweeps, reeling like crazy on the down sweep....would guess its on youtube somewhere.

We went to a place on the break in 300 feet they called the A.S.S. Hole. "Amberjack Sportsman's Society" Hole... :lol:

With that Shimano tackle you describe, they were catching and releasing 50 pounders in under 2 minutes. Hard to believe. They said it would catch almost anything that swims if you were skilled.

March 21, 2011, 03:53:34 PM
Reply #8

wingtime

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
I've caught a few AJ while bottom fishing and I love the fight they give!  Great tips guys!  I have heard of the colored braid and I think that is a great idea.  I heard they make it in 25' increments but I'm sure they have more than one style.

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

March 21, 2011, 04:31:36 PM
Reply #9

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »

March 21, 2011, 05:35:32 PM
Reply #10

jcaesar625

• Information Offline
  • FL - North Area
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »
I don't know about jigging, but we had a triple header AJ knock down high speed trolling at 15 kts for Wahoo. All on (3) C&H  Mr. Bigs. The team was highly disappointed when we found out they were AJ's. Almost as crazy as when when we had a swordfish come up in the middle of our spread around early afternoon.

March 23, 2011, 04:26:56 PM
Reply #11

wingtime

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
Well I went and looked into those Shimano Travela rods.  Wow what a rod!  super light and a 200 lbs line rating  :shock:   The sales lady at Betts fishing center held onto the tip of the rod while I pulled on it.  HOLY COW THAT IS SOME ROD!  I thought I was gonna lift her off the floor with it!  I think I'm gonna lean towards the spinning reel instead of a conventional type.  I think that will fit my style better.  The Daiwa Saltist 6000 looks like a contender that fits my budget.

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

March 23, 2011, 10:10:53 PM
Reply #12

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 10:10:53 PM »
Well I went and looked into those Shimano Travela rods.  Wow what a rod!  super light and a 200 lbs line rating  :shock:   The sales lady at Betts fishing center held onto the tip of the rod while I pulled on it.  HOLY COW THAT IS SOME ROD!  I thought I was gonna lift her off the floor with it!  I think I'm gonna lean towards the spinning reel instead of a conventional type.  I think that will fit my style better.  The Daiwa Saltist 6000 looks like a contender that fits my budget.

The saltist is the perfect reel for jigging, but if you can get around to a Bass Pro shop and check out their Offshore Angler Extreme Jigging series, they are identical to the Shimano but less $$.  But if not near one, the Shimano is awesome.  Now you know what I am talking about, no one can believe the power of these rods by looking at them.
Marc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal