Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Protecting Porta bracket from electrolysis in a slip??  (Read 1021 times)

April 06, 2011, 08:19:22 PM
Read 1021 times

kedd

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Protecting Porta bracket from electrolysis in a slip??
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »
I don't have the boat in the slip yet, but this will be the first year with a bracket.
When sitting in the water the bottom 2" or so of the bracket will be submerged.
I wish we had rack storage here in the Northeast, but it will spend 5 months in a slip.

I know use of shore power and my wiring is very important, but neighbor's boat can do just as much
harm.
I'm looking for advise on placement anodes and possibly use of ground straps.

Any others out there that dealt with this?

Kedd

April 06, 2011, 08:41:22 PM
Reply #1

pete

• Information Offline
Re: Protecting Porta bracket from electrolysis in a slip??
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »
There is some info on the porta bracket site.........

Porta Hydraulic Transom Bracket
Salt Water Application
PROBLEM:
Corrosion of the submerged cylinder base and or submerged hydraulic fittings with no other similar corrosion on other submerged bracket components.

REASON:
Due to the UHMW (Plastic) bearing surfaces, the components of the Porta Bracket are not electrically connected or conductive.

Cylinder base corrosion indicates an electrical system problem with electrical current finding its way through the trim pump, then finding ground through the hydraulic fluid to the cylinder base. The submerged aluminum then acts as an anode.

REMEDY:
Make sure all electrical components on the vessel are securely grounded to the negative terminal on the battery. It may be necessary to create a ground contact from the negative terminal directly into the water with an electrolysis-preventing system – i.e., a bonded zinc plate on the transom, or equivalent.

If you have any questions regarding the installation of the Porta Bracket please call us at (386) 428-7656              (386) 428-7656      . We will be happy to assist you with any problems you may have. Thank you for buying Porta Products.

Might want to ask the mfg.Good luck :salut:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

April 06, 2011, 09:15:01 PM
Reply #2

kedd

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Protecting Porta bracket from electrolysis in a slip??
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:15:01 PM »
Thanks.

I should have mentioned I talked to Scott Porta and read that.

I want to find out where others have mounted the zinc and ground strap on the bracket.
What size zinc is working for them?

Kedd

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal