Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: need some motor help  (Read 591 times)

March 07, 2011, 11:45:44 PM
Read 591 times

feeling2damgood

• Information Offline
need some motor help
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:45:44 PM »
ok went fishing today and ran into a prob. motor is missing at low end but wot runs like a champ. now they trick is on the way back after running for 10min the motor just died out. i know this isnt enough to get some help but im hoping it will get the ball rolling.
thanks in advance for the help
p.s. caught 3 reds and a flonder before sun gave out on us.
"she\'let"
1974 170 johnson 135 v4

never had a bad day fishing!!!!

March 08, 2011, 10:15:04 AM
Reply #1

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
Re: need some motor help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
Quote from: "feeling2damgood"
ok went fishing today and ran into a prob. motor is missing at low end but wot runs like a champ. now they trick is on the way back after running for 10min the motor just died out. i know this isnt enough to get some help but im hoping it will get the ball rolling.
thanks in advance for the help
p.s. caught 3 reds and a flonder before sun gave out on us.

What happened after it died?? Instant restart?  Did you have to wait? Pump the bulb?? is the bulb getting and staying hard?

1st thing you need to try and figure out is it fuel or ignition. my guess is probably fuel related.  And you could have a few different issues going on.  How old is the primer bulb and what make is it. Believe it or not there is a difference, OEM bulbs like from BRP/OMC are probably the best on the market, invest in one and be done.  Change your filters, don't forget the screen in the fuel pump You have an older OMC right?? Also be suspect of your fuel lines if they are not relatively new, they could be effected by the ethanol, getting hard and sucking air around hose clamps, that would shut the engine down.  After checking those things, run it out, if it is missing in the "mid-range" and just off idle, as your cruising along engage your choke for a moment and see if the engine picks up, if it does the engine is starving for fuel, choking it makes the carbs provide more fuel.  You'll find the problem.
Marc
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

March 08, 2011, 05:00:24 PM
Reply #2

feeling2damgood

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »
it has a omc bulb and new lines. at mid range it runs fine all the way to wot. it restarted within 2-3 min.i havent checked screen at pump but will do as soon as rain letss off. it was re built dec 09 so lil more than a year ago. i beleive the coils,fuel pump,waterpump and tons of other parts. thank god not done by me or payed for by me.
now a lil thing i might have forgot is that at low range it acts like it is surging about every 10 sec. im wondering if it might be the fuel pump. i did engage the choke to check for that and it tried to die. like it was flooding.

ok i think i got all the questions.
and thank you so much for the help
"she\'let"
1974 170 johnson 135 v4

March 08, 2011, 05:56:58 PM
Reply #3

feeling2damgood

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »
i think i got it there i found a bad hose on the leftside of the intake manifold. not sure if it is the problem but it cant be good to be diconnected. i have alil bit of fluid around the area. going to get some hose and change it see if it helps
"she\'let"
1974 170 johnson 135 v4

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal