Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Stone Crab Claws  (Read 1552 times)

May 12, 2011, 02:20:19 PM
Read 1552 times

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Stone Crab Claws
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
Just about the best thing you'll ever try. They taste like a cross between crab and lobster. Big succulent meat...that is, unless the meat sticks to the shells. Then, the dinner party is ruined. Goes from "ooh, ah" to frustration and sighing.

Never could figure out why sometimes the claws came out great, other times a failure. Asked some old sounders: they said to make sure they were brought to room temperature before steaming.

Others said to put them in the pot, and bring the water and claws up to temperature together.

So the other day at the fish house they had some fresh crab claws, first of the season. They were displayed on ice. Ordered two pounds.

Took them home, let them get to room temp, put them in the pot (colander above cold water) brought them up to boil. Cooked them 5 minutes...time to chow down!

Bad result. The meat was sticking to the shells like glue. Pick for ten minutes to get a spoonful. Total failure.

Enough was enough. Started researching. Turns out the reason they stick to the shells is ICE.  Fresh crab claws should NEVER be iced, even for a minute. After harvesting, they should be placed in a 40 degree refrigerator, or better yet, cooked immediately. They can then be refrigerated, iced, or frozen.

May 15, 2011, 01:17:23 AM
Reply #1

Glock Diver

• Information Offline
Re: Stone Crab Claws
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 01:17:23 AM »
Did not know that, and it's one of my favorites!  I wonder if that's why stone crabs are so often served chilled? (at least down here in FL... If you order stone crab, they'll come chilled UNLESS you specify HOT).

Maybe I need to get some today. Last day of our season, till October!
1997 Aquasport 225, 200hp Johnson OceanPro

May 15, 2011, 11:55:54 AM
Reply #2

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »
Quote from: "Glock Diver"
Did not know that, and it's one of my favorites!  I wonder if that's why stone crabs are so often served chilled? (at least down here in FL... If you order stone crab, they'll come chilled UNLESS you specify HOT).

Mike,
In all my years down here (going on 31!), can't say I've ever seen them served hot!  I mean, they're stone crabs...isn't chilled the way you're supposed to eat them? :scratch:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

May 15, 2011, 03:45:43 PM
Reply #3

bumpster

• Information Offline
    • http://www.xtremeled.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"

Mike,
In all my years down here (going on 31!), can't say I've ever seen them served hot!  I mean, they're stone crabs...isn't chilled the way you're supposed to eat them? :scratch:

Im thinking the same thing. NEVER even offered the choice of hot!

May 15, 2011, 05:52:24 PM
Reply #4

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »
Walt's fish market here in Sarasota gives you the option of steamed/warm with butter - mmmmmm.  But they are on ice prior - you see them in the cooler.  This topic gives me something to think about though.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 15, 2011, 11:18:07 PM
Reply #5

Glock Diver

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
First time I tried them, about 2 years ago, I had no clue they were almost always served chilled.  I just assumed they'd come out hot, like any other (snow crab, king crab, dungeness, blues, etc).  Well, the waitress brings them out, I try one, and didn't like it!  She tells me they can also come steamed, so I gave it another try later, and LOVED it.

I believe the claws are usually cooked right after the crab boat returns to the dock, and the restaurant merely keeps em on ice. Just what I've heard.
1997 Aquasport 225, 200hp Johnson OceanPro

May 15, 2011, 11:51:04 PM
Reply #6

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
    • http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/index.php
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 11:51:04 PM »
I believe the claws are usually cooked right after the crab boat returns to the dock, and the restaurant merely keeps em on ice. Just what I've heard

That's correct,same with Snow crabs,King crab ect,even if there served warm there just warmed,man this thread makes me hungry.

Rick i belive Walts cooks there own because the guys come straight from the water to there,talked to them many times at tenth street boat ramp.
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

May 15, 2011, 11:59:10 PM
Reply #7

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:59:10 PM »
Warmed is good, but chilled is better...and always with the lobster dressing, AKA clarified butter... :thumright:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

May 16, 2011, 09:46:25 PM
Reply #8

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:46:25 PM »
Great responses from the home of stone crab, the Sunshine State...they're steamed straight off the boats, ASAP.  Then immediately iced for restaurant/home consumption. Thanks guys.

Same as the post from the Florida Fisheries website, and others....cook them upon harvest, but  DO NOT ice them until after they're steamed.

Have had them chilled vs. hot in butter. Both are excellent. Cold makes a superlative appetizer....But for a meal, sit down and pig out.....hot with clarified butter (who said dat?) is the ticket.

Corn on the cob, cole slaw, hush puppies....ooooo-weeee...

Which leads me to think...why not cut out the middle-man? Go to the docks, talk with the crab-guys, buy them fresh....go home and steam them up. Fresh, not overcooked or warmed-up. Good eats.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal