Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: What is this stuff on the stringers???  (Read 1699 times)

September 14, 2010, 02:40:13 PM
Read 1699 times

hankblake

• Information Offline

September 14, 2010, 02:55:31 PM
Reply #1

bumpster

• Information Offline
    • http://www.xtremeled.com
Re: What is this stuff on the stringers???
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »
either post the pics or have someone post them for you. It helps

September 14, 2010, 03:04:00 PM
Reply #2

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
I tried to fix that code for you, but your images are too big.  You need to edit the size of the photos in your album to have them up to 600pixels high and up to 800pixels wide, and also your code was missing some appropriately placed " ] " .  But you might not even need pictures- I'm pretty sure I know what it is you're referring to - It's an epoxy they used to bond the floor to the stringers.  If you're getting rid of it, it's really not a process that requires finesse.  Use a grinding wheel with a very aggressive grit and bring it down to almost the same level of the stringers, but be careful not grind it down past the stringer.  As far as what to use- a right angle grinder with about a 6" wheel and around 36Grit would be my pick, but whatever is most comfortable for you will work too.  8)
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

September 14, 2010, 03:10:13 PM
Reply #3

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
Try this.

1: Go to your Bucket account (you need one to post photos on this forum), open and double click on a photo you have downloaded to the site.

2. Place cursor on the top left of photo, tool bar will appear, place cursor on EDIT then click on RESIZE

3. In a few moments a new window will open (call it the re-size window) with your photo and a tool bar above it.
Note the photo size in the tool bar.Since this site (Classic Aquasport) only limits posted photos to 800 pix wide X 600 pix high you must re-size it (if it's bigger) in order to post it. So.....

4. Photo Bucket has preset sizes you can use. They are in a 4:3 ratio and you will notice them in the toolbar just below the width measurement. Also notice that you can manually enter the pixel size for both width and height. Also note that there are two selections you can make when manually selecting the number of pixels. Unless you're a photo genius :roll:
make sure you have the "proportion" button highlighted (little red dot to the left). This keeps your photo in the standard 4:3 ratio mentioned above. Why is this important? Under normal conditions, you hold the camera in the standard position and your photo is taken in the 4:3 ratio. Tilting the camera on end alters the width to height ratio. By leaving the proportion button highlighted, you can enter 600 px in the height box and the width will automatically change for a proper photo size.

5. This is where most members screw up. :o After you set the proper size you must do two (2) additional steps. First, click on the APPLY button on the right side of the tool box. Nothing much will seem to happen. Now scroll down and click on the
Replace Original button. It's located underneath and to the right of your photo. If you do not complete this step, you will never place the proper size photo on the Aqua site. This is the thing most members do not do.

6.After clicking on the Replace Original button, the screen will take a few moments to do its thing and a new window will magically appear. Scroll down and look to the right and you will notice several options for "sharing your photo". EDIT: Photo Bucket has added a "share photo" pop up window. Close this window first and then... Click on the bottom one (IMG) and notice how a little yellow box appears to the left saying "copied". (very important)

That's it, you're done.
Go back to your post and place your re-sized photo into the post where you want it by pushing "Ctrl + V" (at the same time) and it will appear as code. By previewing your post before submitting, you can check that you did everything correctly.

Try it. You'll like it. :wink:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 14, 2010, 03:43:06 PM
Reply #4

hankblake

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:43:06 PM »
Thanks for the info on posting pictures, and more for the information on the grinding. I will post this link to the pictures for now. http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z46 ... 20Removal/

September 14, 2010, 04:23:47 PM
Reply #5

bonz

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:23:47 PM »
At the time I didn"t have a rough enough grit sand paper... determined to keep working I used an air chisel to get it off..It worked but I wouldn't recommend it. Grinder is the way to go.....

September 22, 2010, 02:41:15 PM
Reply #6

orb

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
I chipped mine off with a hammer and a 3/4 inch chisel. It was thick in some spots and hard to get off, but not as bad as with the grinder. After I chipped most of it off, I went back and cleaned it up with the grinder.
70\'s  240 seahunter(rebuilding now)
Photogallery-
http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... &protype=1

\'77 22-2 (rebuild on hold)
1997 19\' sundance 70 merc

October 16, 2010, 12:16:48 AM
Reply #7

manateell

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 12:16:48 AM »
The putty is Arjay deck putty. It is a polyester resin mix.

October 16, 2010, 12:27:43 PM
Reply #8

CDUX

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »
After trying a few different tools, using the short end of a small pry bar & a 3 pound maul worked real well.

Did the starboard stringer of my 22'er in 15 mins +/-.  

Seemed a slight down angle w/ crisp, sharp hits, instead of brute force was the ticket.
You'll need eye protection, if not a full face mask, as the chips were flying.
Hope this helps

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal