Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Bilge Equipment Electrical Drawing  (Read 3760 times)

March 03, 2010, 09:22:25 PM
Reply #15

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Bilge Equipment Electrical Drawing
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 09:22:25 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Seabob,

Thanks for the schematic. For what year range is this applicable, and for which hull models?

Am I correct in assuming that this also applies to the Wellcraft on the production line, same period run?

Thank you.

Scott

Scott,
These schematics I have drawn are basically what you would call "generic" schematics in that they aren't specific to one particular model, or even a "line" of boats.  My goal was to give the average owner a better understanding of how his/hers electrical equipment is wired, how it receives it's power and where from, how the grounds are terminated, basically a little generic map that they can follow to help them trouble-shoot there electrical issues, as well as add new hardware.

If I were to draw a model specific, as well as brand specific drawing, well, it not only would be a whole lot more drawings, but it would also be nearly impossible due to the fact that with so many people at the time performing the same job (back-end electrical, console electrical, deck rig, hull prep, etc.), each boat coming off the line would be somewhat different than the one before it.

My schematics are a guide to help those who are a little less familiar with wiring than I am get a little more comfortable with their boat's wiring.  And as I said, if there is anything I left off, or needs improving, let me know!

Thanks Scott!

Bob C

BTW, my latest rewire on a '98 Proline 183 Flats...

Sure as hell doesn't look the way it came out of the factory! :shock:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 03, 2010, 11:13:02 PM
Reply #16

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 11:13:02 PM »
Gotcha.

Your wiring looks good. I actually enjoy re-wiring 12V systems, its kinda relaxing to me, if you can believe it. Something about 3 wires max. on any given circuit....sooner or later, its done.

Up here in NC, we had a helluva boat-building industry. Even the cheapos (C-Hawk, KenCraft, Wetsig, Atlantic, Diamond, Beaver, Maycraft, etc, etc, ) were good-running splatter-hulls, molds bought from the bigger builders as they were retired.

And now all of the NC big-names have closed their doors, or are under re-org.  Albemarle, Carolina Classic, Regulator, Fountain, Southport (here in Wilmington) plus a S%&T-load of custom houses. A damn shame, Carolina boats in general are known for their beauty, superior running attitude, and quality.

I have an old Slane Hatteras, 1963, 34 SF, hull # 3.

Its for sale just like every other boat I've ever owned.....heck, how 'bout a  good dog too?.......

Best,
Scott

March 03, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
Reply #17

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Gotcha.

Your wiring looks good. I actually enjoy re-wiring 12V systems, its kinda relaxing to me, if you can believe it. Something about 3 wires max. on any given circuit....sooner or later, its done.

Up here in NC, we had a helluva boat-building industry. Even the cheapos (C-Hawk, KenCraft, Wetsig, Atlantic, Diamond, Beaver, Maycraft, etc, etc, ) were good-running splatter-hulls, molds bought from the bigger builders as they were retired.

And now all of the NC big-names have closed their doors, or are under re-org.  Albemarle, Carolina Classic, Regulator, Fountain, Southport (here in Wilmington) plus a S%&T-load of custom houses. A damn shame, Carolina boats in general are known for their beauty, superior running attitude, and quality.

I have an old Slane Hatteras, 1963, 34 SF, hull # 3.

Its for sale just like every other boat I've ever owned.....heck, how 'bout a  good dog too?.......

Best,
Scott

Scott,
In a word, the boat business SUCKS right now, has for the last 2 years, and will continue to for another couple of years.  This is the worst it's ever been, and it will be a much different playing field when a light is finally seen at the end of the tunnel...

Bob C

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 04, 2010, 08:54:44 PM
Reply #18

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
    • http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/index.php
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »
Bob C i'm doing some rewiring and came across something i think is weird.

I have two ground wires,one 8-10 gage and 0ne 14-16 gage running from the battery to the ground block in the helm.

Could there be a reason for this,i was gonna eliminate the small one but wanted to ask first.

Thanks Scott.
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

March 04, 2010, 11:11:53 PM
Reply #19

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 11:11:53 PM »
Quote from: "Circle Hooked"
Bob C i'm doing some rewiring and came across something i think is weird.

I have two ground wires,one 8-10 gage and 0ne 14-16 gage running from the battery to the ground block in the helm.

Could there be a reason for this,i was gonna eliminate the small one but wanted to ask first.

Thanks Scott.

Scott,
If they both start and end at the same positions (which you indicate to me they do), then there is no need for the 16GA.  

This does seem kind of weird, though.  Why would the PO run a new ground wire that basically mimics the existing ground wire?  Which leads me to believe there might be something attached/terminated in the middle of the run that you can't see.

Do this.  Disconnect the 16 at both ends.  Tape a pull wire of sufficient length to one end.  Then start pulling.  If she comes out clean, don't worry about it.  If you feel something along the way that gives you an indication that something is attached, leave it alone and reconnect.

The only thing that might make sense to me is fuel sender ground...maybe.

Let me know how it goes.

Bob

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 04, 2010, 11:33:42 PM
Reply #20

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 11:33:42 PM »
I'll let you know tomorrow, but the small one is run with the wires in the harness, and i'm the original owner so i know i didn't run it.

I hope you remember when i asked about a fuse on the fishbox pump,the breaker is a 5 amp,i looked at the old pump,it takes a 2.5 fuse and the new pump a 3,so for now gonna leave it alone and see what happens what do you think?
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

March 05, 2010, 12:11:28 AM
Reply #21

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 12:11:28 AM »
Scott,
Do this.  Fill up the fishbox to the top.  Turn on the pump and let it drain the box.  If it works, then leave the 5A in there.  The overamperage situation would occur if the pump gets jammed up with debris, starts to turn with difficulty, and the amperage builds up, causing a trip.

But I would eventually change the breaker out to a 2.5A...JMO.

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 05, 2010, 08:31:36 PM
Reply #22

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »
Thanks Bob, i was at marine surplus today and looked at breakers,there cheap enough so i will go that rout.

I just stopped for wire and the breaker was an after thought after i paid for the wire.

I will say one thing there expensive on some things but the bulk wire is a good deal.got battery cables with ends on for the price of just ends anywhere else i think. :D
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

March 05, 2010, 09:07:47 PM
Reply #23

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 09:07:47 PM »
Thanks Bob, i was at marine surplus today and looked at breakers,there cheap enough so i will go that rout.

I just stopped for wire and the breaker was an after thought after i paid for the wire.

I will say one thing there expensive on some things but the bulk wire is a good deal.got battery cables with ends on for the price of just ends anywhere else i think. :D

I've been dealing with the Marine Surplus store on Old 301 south of Whitfield for a long time...some things they do well, some things not...ya pays your money, ya takes your chances... :shock:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 05, 2010, 10:04:50 PM
Reply #24

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 10:04:50 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"

I've been dealing with the Marine Surplus store on Old 301 south of Whitfield for a long time...some things they do well, some things not..
.ya pays your money, ya takes your chances... :shock:

So true.
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

March 06, 2010, 07:17:56 PM
Reply #25

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 07:17:56 PM »
I don't want to know what I have spent there over the years but you do need to research prices before you go there.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

March 10, 2010, 09:32:31 PM
Reply #26

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »
Bob i found out what that small gage ground wire is for it goes to the forward bilge pump.

john your right about that,got something there Friday then found it 2 bucks cheaper at west marine,but the battery cables i got at MS for seven bucks were 49 at west,talk about mark up.
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

May 19, 2010, 05:59:30 PM
Reply #27

jcaesar625

• Information Offline
  • FL - North Area
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
Seabob, the image of your schematic no longer shows up. Can you repost? TIA.

May 19, 2010, 06:28:33 PM
Reply #28

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »
Quote from: "jcaesar625"
Seabob, the image of your schematic no longer shows up. Can you repost? TIA.

So I mess around in photobucket, do a little organizing, and...OOOPS!

I need to post some additional drawings, and I'll put them in PDF form so it's easier to download and print...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

May 24, 2010, 04:57:43 PM
Reply #29

jcaesar625

• Information Offline
  • FL - North Area
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
It showed back up. Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal