Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Aquasport Reunion Gumbo  (Read 1184 times)

May 07, 2010, 12:28:06 AM
Read 1184 times

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Aquasport Reunion Gumbo
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »
Been a while since we've posted new recipes, but have been thinking about the hungry crowd at the reunion. And although a bunch of us who would enjoy being there can't, here are some thoughts for an easy and good gumbo.

Gonna triple-up the recipe, to feed a crowd:

Coleman stove
BIG pot with lid
10 cups good water
2 packs Zatarain's Gumbo mix
Frozen Okra, 16 oz. package
2 Vidalia Onions
2 Red Peppers
One head Celery
Andouille Sausage
Olive oil/peanut oil/ whole butter
Sea salt
Meat (cooked chicken, cooked squirrel, raw shrimp, raw oysters, raw scallops, raw bugs, raw fish chunks, etc)

Toasted French bread

Begin by slicing up the onion/pepper/celery, and saute' all over medium heat in the big pot, half oil, half butter.  Saute 5 to 10 min., add the thinly-sliced andouille, cook 5 min more.

Add the water, Zat gumbo mix, Bring to hard boil. Lower heat after 3-5 min. Add frozen okra. Stew on medium-low for 10 minutes.

Pre-cooked chicken chunks, etc, go ahead and add. Simmer 10 minutes. Big scallops would be next, then fish chunks, then shrimp/bugs/oysters last.

Simmer 5 to 10 minutes more, serve.

The experts on Food Network advise on finishing a gumbo not to stir, just lift lightly before serving, keeping intact.

The Zat gumbo mix is very heavy on the peppers. That's why no peppers added.... :bom:

But is light on the salt....add salt to taste. If you wanna get fancy, add Gumbo File' to each bowl to thicken. Adds an awesome kick of sassafras, too.

Serve with the toasted french bread.

This is an easy, accurate gumbo, without the extra hour of roux prep...And perfect as an Aquasport Reunion camp-out appetizer. Quick, easy and good, 45 min max,  start to finish.

You guys have a whale of a time.....

:lol:

May 07, 2010, 05:05:29 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Online
  • Administrator
Re: Aquasport Reunion Gumbo
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:05:29 AM »
Sounds easy - hmmmm
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 07, 2010, 08:07:15 AM
Reply #2

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:07:15 AM »
You are killing me Scott.  Good gumbo is on my top five list and Zatarain's is the only mix we have found that we like.  The issue is I cannot find Zatarain's Gumbo Mix around here.  A dozen different varieties of Zatarain's stuff but not gumbo.  I even emailed the company and they said the only chain around here that orders it is Publix Supermarkets.  Guess what, the Publix stores in my area do not have it.  I ordered a case from Zatarain's once but it is almost double store price when I do manage to find it.  I have resigned myself to buying a bunch of it when I go to Alabama to visit relatives or have my mom or daughter mail me a few boxes.

It makes a great tasting quick and easy dinner with just boneless skinless chicken added and nothing else.  (Andouille = heart attack  ;) )
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

May 12, 2010, 05:27:09 PM
Reply #3

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Roux redeux
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »
I learned this from a cook in a restaurant where they cooked roux-based meals to order, and I could not figure out how they made a dark brown roux so quickly.  So if you want to make a decent roux, but don't want to take the time or include the fat, here's one (easier) way:

Take white flour and spread it thinly on a cookie sheet.  Put it in the oven at 400 degrees and let it brown until it gets as brown as you want the roux.  Mix the browned flour with some oil in a saucepan, stir and heat and you've got roux!  If you want to go no-fat, you can mix the roux with water in a saucepan, heat & stir, and get similar results.  

Give it a try and see ya on the water!!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

May 14, 2010, 07:23:25 PM
Reply #4

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:23:25 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Been a while since we've posted new recipes, but have been thinking about the hungry crowd at the reunion. And although a bunch of us who would enjoy being there can't, here are some thoughts for an easy and good gumbo.

This stuff in in the pot simmering.  I'll deliver it early afternoon.  ;)

Niccolo Machiavelli

May 16, 2010, 12:26:28 PM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Online
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:26:28 PM »
Man was that ever good - thanks Gran  :salut:  :salut:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 16, 2010, 06:22:13 PM
Reply #6

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »
OK, now it's getting painful!  Not only do I miss the reunion with the boats and  boaters, but now I also miss killer gumbo!   :evil:  

Y'all are "bam!" kicking up a notch...   We're gonna hafta do something in the Carolinas!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

May 17, 2010, 01:25:07 PM
Reply #7

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »
Awesome!!

JJ, I'm happy that you made it home safe and sound, and the boys enjoyed your terrific gumbo! Sure wish GF and I couldv'e made it down.....I had a bride to give away on Saturday!! I was one proud FOB (father of the bride)!

I'm glad you guys had a large time. And GF, you're right, and when you want to make it happen, we'll do it.

Guys, have been quiet about the 22-2 that I have in my posession, that has not been titled. It is under litigation, and so the silence. Will let you know how it turns out on the other forum, when appropriate.

No biggee, its only money, but the whippin' hurts.

JJ, the gumbo looked great, I know they enjoyed it! Good deal.

Best,
Scott

May 17, 2010, 06:50:13 PM
Reply #8

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »
Congrats on the wedding.  It hurts and it makes you proud.   I'm glad there are no pictures of me during my daughters ceremony ;)
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal