Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Early 70's 19-6 Questions and Advise  (Read 629 times)

August 04, 2009, 01:39:45 PM
Read 629 times

Skoot

• Information Offline
Early 70's 19-6 Questions and Advise
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:39:45 PM »
As some of you might know I've been searching High and low for a good condition classic 19-6 with little or no luck.  I recently looked at 2 different boats, both had the same problem. One was a 72 the other a 73. Both boats were 100% original, no modifications what so ever. Heres what I found;

Where the transom meets the inner hull/bilge area there is some cracking (about 3 inches horizontally), as if its separating. There is no visible evidence of cracking on the outside of the transom.  I also noticed cracking/separation on the inside of the drain plug. I stuck my finger in both areas and from what I could tell in the small space is it felt like wet wood. All and all the transom seemed very solid on both boats. I did the flex test and took a mallet to listen for hollow points. The deck on both were very solid to my surprise, I couldn't find a one soft spot.  Also from what I could see, the stringers appeared to be in great condition.

What do you guys think about the transom?
Is it possible to find an older 19-6 that does not need a ton of work?
Am I dreaming about finding a older boat that I can stick a motor on an go?
How do I know for sure?
Scott

1975 19-6 - 90hp Tohatsu

August 04, 2009, 03:33:15 PM
Reply #1

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
Re: Early 70's 19-6 Questions and Advise
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
Quote from: "Skoot"

Where the transom meets the inner hull/bilge area there is some cracking (about 3 inches horizontally), as if its separating.

I'm a little confused... Where exactly did you see the cracking?  Since you cant really see into the bilge unless there's an access hole, I'm assuming you saw this cracking near the trough/scuppers?  

That cracking could be a big deal, could be not so big of a deal... there's really no sure way to know.  A wet transom doesn't necessarily mean its not structurally sound, but you can probably bet its on the way out, maybe sooner maybe later.

I would say no matter how you look at it, you can expect that any ole' 19-6 is going to need some kind of work...  Mine appeared to be "hang and go..." when I bought it.  2 years later, I had it on the water... that timeframe may be due to my own procrastination though.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

August 04, 2009, 03:58:34 PM
Reply #2

Skoot

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
Both boats had access ports on the stern of the deck.  Sorry, I dont know exactly what the bilge/below deck area is called.  The cracking was literally at the joint where the transom meets the hull.  The other one is on the inside of the main Drain plug.  I was also able to inspect the stringers through these ports.

Badonquasport196, have you done any other structural work to your boat besides the transom?
Scott

1975 19-6 - 90hp Tohatsu

August 04, 2009, 04:32:00 PM
Reply #3

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
I agree with Badonq. My hull has lots of cracks. Mine however doesn't have any cracks where you are talking about and my transom wood is dry. However these hulls are 30 to 35 years old and and theres no way to tell until you actually rip into it. I plan to drill out my drain plug and reset it after sealing each and every screwhole and crack in mine. Each hull will have its own unique problems. What I would suggest is when you go and look at the next one or on reinspection take some pics and post them so all of us can help you more in your decision. That is the advantage of having this site! There are so many good people with so much invaluable knowledge around here you need to take advantage of it. The best thing is of course, all of us don't mind helping. If you buy one don't worry the original design is perhaps one of the simplest sturucturally to repair of any hull ever built. You only have the sole, stringers and transom. You would probably have wood in your stringers in just about any other boat of this age.
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

August 05, 2009, 03:35:09 PM
Reply #4

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »
No, no other structural work other than the transom.  Mine was kept in dry storage as a service boat; used (abused) only once yearly.  Everything was still solid, dry, and thoroughly scratched and gouged when I bought the boat.  I didn't really rebuild the transom- I just made it higher- the existing transom was still good.  A solid floor is somewhat of a rare find on these boats- most of the others I've seen from this circa had at least a few soft spots in the floor.

As Lewis stated, pics would really help.  You said you could see the stringers from the access hatch?  I can only see part of my stringer system from my hatch as the tank coffin (might not be the correct term) obscures most of the rest of the bilge toward the bow, and the floor is sealed up against the middle pair of stringers.  Pictures!

I'm not sure what to tell you about the transom, especially w/o pics.  Me personally, I'm not one to worry about small cracks in areas that flex anyway.  If everything seems solid, I would use it till the transom was obviously flexing and cracking (audibly cracking).  Worst case scenario- You use the boat for a season, find out the transom needs to be replaced, then replace the transom in the off season.  You would then be in the same boat (pun intended) as most of the rest of us here, and wouldn't be out of a boatload of money that you might have spent on a newer boat.

I applaud you on your decision to go with a 19-6  :cheers: .  I wasn't planning on keeping mine for long when I first bought it, but the boat has really grown on me.  It's extremely versatile; with lots of floorspace, and it doesn't require more than 70HP to get on plane (not to mention the dead sexy lines).  I'm sure you'll be happy with it when you do finally find your 19-6.  :thumright:
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

August 06, 2009, 10:41:31 AM
Reply #5

Skoot

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 10:41:31 AM »
Thanks for the replies and advise guys.

Badonq- Your giving me more hope that I can find a descent 19-6. I can handle Minor repairs and Cosmetics, but with a wife and 2 young boys I just don't have time for a rebuild. Your correct about the stringers, thats all I can see as well.  I dont know why that transom bothers me so much, but I have that bad feeling in my gut.

On a side note, One of the boats has been sold.  I did however find another one, but have not had a chance to look at it yet.  It appears to be in great shape from the few pics and talking to the owner. Unfortunately he painted the deck with oil based paint (hunter green) :scratch: .  If I get a chance to look at it before it sells I will post some pics of my findings.

I dont see very many pics of 19-6's in the photo gallery. Am I missing something?
Scott

1975 19-6 - 90hp Tohatsu

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal