Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: top side painting  (Read 1023 times)

April 04, 2009, 10:17:31 PM
Read 1023 times

250xfwbumps

• Information Offline
top side painting
« on: April 04, 2009, 10:17:31 PM »
i am getting ready to paint the topside of my boat.  i have bought 2 gals. of the  interlux brightside poly.  (flag blue)  does anyone  have some advice on the best method.  i was planning on rolling and brushing, however i do have the ability to spray it?

April 06, 2009, 09:20:16 AM
Reply #1

RebelYell

• Information Offline
Re: top side painting
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:20:16 AM »
Quote from: "250xfwbumps"
i am getting ready to paint the topside of my boat.  i have bought 2 gals. of the  interlux brightside poly.  (flag blue)  does anyone  have some advice on the best method.  i was planning on rolling and brushing, however i do have the ability to spray it?

You can spray if you want; but you'll need to have full body armor ( Tyvek suit ) and a cartridge respirator rated for the job.

Roll and tip works fine if you do a thorough surface prep, two coats of Prekote alkyd primer, topped off by 2-3 coats of Brightside. Sand in between coats with 220 grit and wipe off dust with 333 Brushing thinner ( its a mix of kerosene and naptha ). I used microfiber cloths for wipedown to get all the dust.

When tipping I like to use a 3" Purdy brush. Also, I like to keep the brush fresh by wrapping it in a rag wetted with Brushing thinner 333. I'll massage the fibers of the brush with the wet rag to keep paint buildup at a minimum and to keep the bristles wet so that it tips smoothly.

Keep a wet edge all along the length of where you are painting and paint in sections at a time. Always brush the tipping brush back towards the last wet edge. Don't wait more that 3-4 minutes before moving to your next section as the paint will begin to flow out and harden; and will leave brush strokes when you try to feather it.

Most importantly, be sure to thin your paint to an "almost water" consistency with Brushing Thinner 333 for roll and tip. Although its alot of work, I recommend 3 (or even 4) thin topcoats over 2 thick ones. Be sure not to thin more than 10% by volume. I thin about 5-8% here in FL.

I am putting the finishing touches on my 1990 200 Osprey....I have painted the entire boat with Topsides down to the waterline. Did texture on floors, etc. I allowed the paint to dry hard about a week between coatings, took my time ( Weekend Warrior ) and it has turned out beautifully. It seems to be pretty darn hard and I have tested it in inconspicuous locations with a screwdriver and am pleased with the hardness ( so far ).

It will take awhile to get down 4-5 coats on the entire boat like I did. It was my first experience with Brightsides and I am looking forward to doing another boat someday. Its alot of fun, but like any restoration, you need to slow down, tackle one thing at a time, and drink lots of beer.  :lol:

I have restored old cars and trucks before ( 72 International, 74 F150, 74 Triumph TR6 ) and I follow the Old Rule: Take your cost estimate and double it, take your time estimate and triple it.... 8)

April 06, 2009, 09:28:38 AM
Reply #2

RebelYell

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »

One last thing; cheap Interlux supplies can be bought at:

http://www.wholesalemarine.com (sometimes does free shipping, Brightsides=$26.36/qt)

and

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com

Have fun !  :twisted:

April 06, 2009, 10:39:06 AM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Online
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:39:06 AM »
250xfwbumps - I've been trying to figure out your user name  :scratch:
I get the 250xf part ..... :scratch:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

April 06, 2009, 05:19:17 PM
Reply #4

250xfwbumps

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 05:19:17 PM »
RebelYell thanks for the good info, jamestown distributers is where i picked the paint up, your right prices arent bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal