Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Question on 1970s vintage 240 Side Console.  (Read 644 times)

December 22, 2008, 04:11:08 PM
Read 644 times

Anonymous

Question on 1970s vintage 240 Side Console.
« on: December 22, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »
Hi, new to the board.  Very cool site.

I have a very low bridge situation where I live (5 ft. high tide), and came across a 1976 AQ 240 Sea Hunter that appears ideal for my situation.  My question is about the ride on these boats?  The boat in question is a project with no power, so I can't sea-trial it.  Given it's rather shallow deadrise, I don't expect it to be a great rough water boat, but I avoid bad weather days anyway.  Most of my boating takes place on Tampa Bay or within site of the coast.  I would primarily be using the boat to ferry my family from our house to any of a dozen places we like to hang out from Longboat to 3 Rookers.  I especially love the camping potential of the Aquasport with the right spray dodger setup.  I have young children who love to go out on the boat as long as I don't beat them up too much, so I don't want to do is take a step backwards in terms of ride comfort.  My current boat is a Donzi F-18 center console.  It's a fairly rare boat, so I don't expect anyone to have experience with both.  I would say the Donzi has an above average ride for it's size (mostly because it's heavy), but there is only so much an 18 footer can take.  If there is a good wind out of the east, the bay chop can be too much.

Enough of my babbling.  I would just like some feedback on the ride characteristics of the AQ 240 from people with experience.  Thanks

December 22, 2008, 08:35:20 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Question on 1970s vintage 240 Side Console.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »
Welcome aboard Falstaff  :!:  :!:
Used to drink a beer with that name :lol:

I think you'll see a huge difference in the ride just because of the extra 6 feet.  The 240 is a big boat, especially in a CC.  
There are some docs in our photo gallery that will show some specs and layouts.  Nice boat, lots of room.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

December 23, 2008, 07:45:17 AM
Reply #2

Anonymous

Re: Question on 1970s vintage 240 Side Console.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 07:45:17 AM »
Thanks RickK,

My gut tells me exactly what you are saying.  6 feet of additional hull will make a world of difference just by virtue of the fact it will bridge the chop.  I suspect it's a very heavy hull as well which tends to add stability.  I would still like to hear from someone with first-hand experience, but I am encouraged by the fact your thinking agrees with mine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal