Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Hull only value: 1985 222 Sandpiper Dual Console  (Read 864 times)

November 27, 2008, 09:28:17 PM
Read 864 times

gw204

• Information Offline
Hull only value: 1985 222 Sandpiper Dual Console
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »
Found a 1985 222 Sandpiper dual console a few days ago and made the 200 mile trek to have a look at it yesterday.  I had previously spoken to the seller and struck a deal pending my in person inspection and sea trial.  The plan was to go over it quickly, hitch up and pull it home.  The motor was really the only thing I wanted, but was prepared to take the boat and trailer to get it.  Once home, the motor would get moved to my Grady, and the hull and trailer would be sold.  

Well, when I got there, I was sorely disappointed.  The boat and trailer...which I had asked many questions about over the phone, were a mess.  That being said, I'm still thinking about trying to strike a deal for the hull and motor, but I wanted to get a better idea of what I could expect to get for the hull.

The major problems I saw...

1.  Gelcoat damage on the keel.  Had been previously repaired...poorly.  The glass was OK, but the gelcoat looks to have been done by a child.  Color match was terrible, and it was very thin in places.  Would need to be sanded off and redone.
2.  Transom.  Probably in need of replacement.  The was almost no flex when the guy (much bigger than me...I'm 165 lbs). bounced on the anti-ventiliation plate on the engine), but there were loose bolts for a swim platform and the copper scupper tubes had the ends corroded off.  On the inside, I noticed the upper bolt for the swim platform rail had pulled through and there was a rather large vertical crack in the glass where it wrapped around the core near the motor well.  Didn't take any pics.  I think had it not been for the support provided by the motor well, it would have flexed a bunch more.
3.  Floor.  Needs to be recored on both sides of the gas tank hatch.  Previous owner(s) had drilled holes for seats and they probably weren't sealed properly.  The floor gave about 1/2" when I walked on it.

Other than that, things were on par for a well used 1985 boat.  Spider cracking, original tank (I think), faded gelcoat, things added here and there, etc.  There was some cracked glass on the edges of one of the bow seats and old speakers all over the place.  Bimini top in good condition, no enclosure.  No electronics worth mentioning.  Old hydraulic steering probably not worth keeping (it was very sloppy).

A very cool layout though.  Lots of room to fish/frolic and it had a neat little sink in the port console.  Livewell in floor and lots of storage.  Probably the coolest dual console I've ever seen.   :)

I determined there was no way the trailer would make it back to my house though.  The springs were so bad, they were warped from the rust flakes.  All 4 tires had the worst dry rot I had ever seen.  The brakes were, well non existent.  Not just not working, never installed.  The worst part was, this guy ensured me the trailer was completely roadworthy and didn't make any comments when I asked about the condition of the brakes.  No way was I pulling 4000 lbs. + behind a Jeep Cherokee when the trailer didn't have brakes!   :shock:  The guy offered me tires at cost...gee...how nice considering he admitted to have "forgotten" to look at them.  Grease caps on the hubs were ugly so who knows how the bearings were.  I bet she wouldn't have made it ten miles before a tire, spring or bearing gave out.

Because I didn't have time to try and locate and rent a utility trailer, and then derig and remove the motor, I walked and drove the 3-1/2 hours home empty handed.  :cry:  

But like I said, I'm still considering it.  Only this time, I would pull a known good trailer down there, load the boat on it and leave the toasted one there.  If I did that, what do you guys think the hull might be worth?  NADA puts it at $2,970 but there's no way it's worth that.  $1500 maybe give the condition?

Here's some pics...

Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1981 Mako 17
1986 Grady White 227

December 03, 2008, 08:43:16 PM
Reply #1

gw204

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:43:16 PM »
Anybody?  Is this not a desireable model?   :?:
Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1981 Mako 17
1986 Grady White 227

December 03, 2008, 09:18:53 PM
Reply #2

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:18:53 PM »
I think it is a tough market to resell a hull that needs to be rebuilt.  I don't know the value of that hull at all, only because I never researched it much.  If the boat was something you wanted to use, I would say it's a great deal - but for buying and stripping the motor - I have no idea.

December 04, 2008, 09:42:29 AM
Reply #3

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 09:42:29 AM »
I actually really like that model, but I've always been a fan of a large dual console... maybe because I never owned one for any length of time...  :)

But, it seems that you are not as much interested in the boat as you are the motor.  If I were you, I'd try to find another package like that one that's closer and towable, or just try to find a used outboard for sale... I've got a few  :wink:

As far as what the hull's worth, it's only what someone is willing to pay for it, as I'm sure you know.  When I bought my Aquasport, it had no motor and a less than decent trailer and I was ok with paying no more than a grand for it.  Who knows, maybe it's someone's dream project, but more than likely, you'll have trouble selling it for more than $1K.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

December 08, 2008, 09:53:35 AM
Reply #4

gw204

• Information Offline
Re: Hull only value: 1985 222 Sandpiper Dual Console
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:53:35 AM »
Thanks guys.

I may try to work the guy on the price a bit more.  It's a good deal already for a complete package, but as stated, I only really want/need the engine.  I also have the option of buying just the motor, but I figured I could end up getting it for less if I could resell the hull/trailer.

We'll see....  I am letting the seller sit on it for a while after he gas me a BS story about the condition.   :x
Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1981 Mako 17
1986 Grady White 227

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal