November 08, 2008, 01:27:25 PM
Read 706 times

Keith Knecht

• Information Offline
    • http://MinnowsandMonsters.com
Seabob4
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:27:25 PM »
Hey Seabob,

Just courious about the older CCP's Vs the newer Ospreys.  Genmar changed the deck configuration from the original CCP's, which were all one level, to the raised casting platform like the older style Ospreys.  I've owned Ospreys all the way from 176 to 281 and 20' and 22 ' CCP's. I really like the CCP's better and it looks like Genmar kept the basic hull mold, added the bracket, and changed the deck.  The cap even looks pretty much the same.  How do the newer  Ospreys ride compared to the older CCP's?  How about construction and materials?  Are the newer Osprey's better than the older CCP's?  I really liked the deck all one level since I fish for large sharks.  Hate to take that step up every time I circle the boat and getting around the motor on the extended bracket doesn't look too nice either.  I like to stand-up fish with a harness and belt and the CCP with the transom mounted motor is not a problem. Like to look at a newer boat but wonder about how it compares.  I've heard that all of the wood went away in 1999.  Is that true?  Thanks in advance for your opnion.

November 08, 2008, 01:56:08 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 01:56:08 PM »
Kieth,
Obviously, the hull form has basically remained unchanged for a long time, except for the addition of the hull half of the extended swim platform, or "Euro-transom" as it is called in some circles.  I don't like it either in the fact that it is counted towards LOA but has no real use to the owner other than to reduce engine noise somewhat.  Which means that your 250 Osprey is really a 22 1/2 Osprey if you look at usable cockpit area.  Myself?  I like a flat transom with door, and a bolt-on bracket.  Bolt-on extensions, such as brackets and pulpits, can't be counted towards LOA, which means a 25 is a 25.

As far as the raised foredeck, it wasn't meant so much to be a fishing platform but to dramatically increase belowdecks storage.  Now, for your tastes, an awesome fishing boat would be a 245/250 Osprey with the entire foredeck cut out and a floor glassed in that would bring you back to the single level cockpit that seems to suit your style of fishing.  Easily doable, and since there is nothing in the tubs such as pumps or machinery, all your losing is storage.  The in floor storage just fore of the console was known as "The Haitian Hatch".  That's where the freshwater tank lives.  Huge capacity, hence the name.  This could serve you well as if you had a single level deck, you could make the opening to this storage area larger.

So your real issue still goes back to the "bracket".  The boat rides great.  4-6 confused chop out in the Gulf, which is not a fun day, will get your aft cockpit passengers wet, but you'll stay dry at the helm.  In the bay, unless you go out on a REALLY snotty day, will be a piece of cake.  Yes, there is no wood in an Osprey.  Wasn't any in '94 when I got there.  The transom is strong as an ox, laid up hollow then filled with a 2-part "pour foam" which cured to the hardness of concrete.  Haven't seen one better, no matter what is was cored with.

As far as power, to me she should have been rated to 400 Horse, as 150s gave her a good low 50s speed, but twin 200s would make her pretty damn quick.  I know it's my opinion, but working at Wellcraft/AS, and being around or rigging Scarabs, well, speed sort of gets in your blood... Twin 200 Optis would be real sweet.

Hope I have been some help.  Ultimately, it's your choice as to the boat that will suit your needs the best.

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 08, 2008, 04:11:30 PM
Reply #2

Keith Knecht

• Information Offline
    • http://MinnowsandMonsters.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the info and opnions.  I figured the deck could be brought back to a single level but I haddn't figure out what to do with the Baitwell/Transom in front of the motor.  Don't think I can reach around far enough to get past the motor with a big shark on and didn't think that the transom door would work out quite right. After you go through all of that, I guess a 250 CCP rebuild would end up being the route I'll have to consider.  It's got more rod storage anyway.  Thanks again!

November 08, 2008, 04:49:14 PM
Reply #3

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 04:49:14 PM »
Kieth,
Considering your needs, that would be your best bet.  But for grouper fishing, I'll go  for a 250 Osprey, repower her with 200 Etec H.O.s, upper station, ... Well, I'll keep dreaming!

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 08, 2008, 09:08:58 PM
Reply #4

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
CCPs
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »
I would say that the older CCPs are definately built better than the later Genmar boats.  The hull on my CCP is a big hunk of solid fiberglass:

This is from the lower hull side - even heavier in the bottom - no cheap core material - just glass and resin - like a tank!:

And you can also add the same rod storage to a 22-2 CCP as with the 246:

http://www.classicaquasport.com/forum/v ... od+holders  

Hope this helps - see ya on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal