Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 1997 245 osprey kicker  (Read 757 times)

August 27, 2009, 09:12:30 AM
Read 757 times

g.herring

• Information Offline
1997 245 osprey kicker
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »
I would like to install a kicker on my 97 245 osprey. Not to be used for shallow trolling, but as a back up while offshore. Any ideas on HP, shaft length. Does anyone already have a set up like this? Right now, I have a single Merc 225.
Thanks
Geoff

August 27, 2009, 06:36:16 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 1997 245 osprey kicker
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:36:16 PM »
Welcome aboard g.herring  :!:  :!:
Someone will be along shortly to help you I'm sure.  IMO I would think a 15 or 20 would be what it takes to move that boat against a current.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 28, 2009, 10:02:18 AM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:02:18 AM »
20" shaft length should be fine, but why carry the weight if you're not going to use it for trolling?  If you really want something that is a back-up, you're going to need about 20-25HP - for trolling 8 or 9.9 would probably be fine, and it will still get you home - albeit slowly...  The problem is weight on the stern of a 20-25 outboard when you will (hopefully) never use it.  And if you do - and the weather is bad - even a 25 is not going to make for a pleasant return trip.  :(

My advice - have a main engine that you are completely confident with - keep it maintained and it won't fail you.  Your 225 Merc can be as dependable as dirt if well maintained - failures almost always are predictable.  Don't ignore any problem, watch the poppits and thermostats, change the lower unit oil each year, look under the hood regularly for any corrosion or loose fittings (like oil injection tubes or water lines), and you should be fine.  Have a dependable 25 watt marine radio with an 8 foot antenna and a back-up 5 watt handheld so you can call for help if you need it.  

Here's an interesting statistic from the aviation side:  years ago, someone did a study of engine failure in private aircraft.  The results showed that multi-engine aircraft had a higher rate of failure than single engine, even when you took into account 2 engines versus 1.  The study concluded that owners with 2 engines were not as finicky about maintenance compared to owners with single engine planes.  The owners with only 1 engine know there's no backup, so they were less willing to defer maintenance.  The owners with 2 engines would sometimes push the envelope a bit more because they had a "backup."  For those of who are pilots with some time on the logbook, we know losing one engine on a twin-engine plane in some conditions can lead to catastrophe.  Yes, the plane will fly in normal conditions with one engine, but Murphy says the critical engine will fail at the worst time, and that may not be an easy time to recover.  The bottom line - one well-maintained, dependable engine is better than two with deferred maintenance and latent problems...
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

August 28, 2009, 05:28:13 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
20" shaft length should be fine, but why carry the weight if you're not going to use it for trolling?  If you really want something that is a back-up, you're going to need about 20-25HP - for trolling 8 or 9.9 would probably be fine, and it will still get you home - albeit slowly...  The problem is weight on the stern of a 20-25 outboard when you will (hopefully) never use it.  And if you do - and the weather is bad - even a 25 is not going to make for a pleasant return trip.  :(

My advice - have a main engine that you are completely confident with - keep it maintained and it won't fail you.  Your 225 Merc can be as dependable as dirt if well maintained - failures almost always are predictable.  Don't ignore any problem, watch the poppits and thermostats, change the lower unit oil each year, look under the hood regularly for any corrosion or loose fittings (like oil injection tubes or water lines), and you should be fine.  Have a dependable 25 watt marine radio with an 8 foot antenna and a back-up 5 watt handheld so you can call for help if you need it.  

Here's an interesting statistic from the aviation side:  years ago, someone did a study of engine failure in private aircraft.  The results showed that multi-engine aircraft had a higher rate of failure than single engine, even when you took into account 2 engines versus 1.  The study concluded that owners with 2 engines were not as finicky about maintenance compared to owners with single engine planes.  The owners with only 1 engine know there's no backup, so they were less willing to defer maintenance.  The owners with 2 engines would sometimes push the envelope a bit more because they had a "backup."  For those of who are pilots with some time on the logbook, we know losing one engine on a twin-engine plane in some conditions can lead to catastrophe.  Yes, the plane will fly in normal conditions with one engine, but Murphy says the critical engine will fail at the worst time, and that may not be an easy time to recover.  The bottom line - one well-maintained, dependable engine is better than two with deferred maintenance and latent problems...

Yup that is why they say the second engine on a twin engined plane will only get you the the scene of the crash!   :shock:
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal