Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: More of Foscle's pictures . . .  (Read 1236 times)

March 13, 2007, 09:56:36 AM
Read 1236 times

Ben87

• Information Offline
More of Foscle's pictures . . .
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:56:36 AM »

This stuff is beautiful, I'm waiting for Foscle to add some commentary on these myself.  He sent me them to post for him.

March 13, 2007, 11:04:16 AM
Reply #1

focsle

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:04:16 AM »
Hi Ben, Thanks for putting these photos up. I bought this AS 22 in November of '05 in the condition you see her in but full to the gunwales with leaves, twigs, junk etc. I took her home and removed the pedestal, fuel tanks and locker hatches. I repaired and re-gelcoated everything removed and waited until spring when a co-worker friend was able to take her to his home shop for interior gel coat repair and refinishing. We ground off the diamond pattern as it was a mess anyway and used non-skid grit instead. We patched 217 holes. The transom had already been replaced when I bought the boat for someone who didn't like the low cut but they made it out of at least two pieces of 1" plywood and then glassed it over like lobster boat armouring. HEAVY! I don't mind except it made figuring the waterline a bit harder and the transom drains are below the waterline.

I painted the hul in Interlux Top Lac because I was going to have to wait too long for a slot in our Awlgrip bay. Just as well as Top Lac looks good and I don't fuss if it gets dinged like I would have with Awlgrip. I wanted the boat to look nice but I didn't want to treat if like a yacht either!

I replaced all wiring, hosing, stainless steel fittings including the pedestal grab rail, all instrumentation and refurbished the fuel tanks which were in good shape other than some surface corrosion. I replaced most of the wood work and made a teak dash board to cover some of the sawsall holes that a previous owner had used to install guages. I saved the shifter, wheel and engine. The engine has a leak in the water jacket that the prevoius owner had "fixed" with a copper tube scabbed onto the leak location and then drilled a hole in the fairing to let it out. I get good compression in all cylinders so I have left that fix for now. It is a 1989 Evinrude 175 and boy does it suck gas! It works though.

The only thing I really went over the top on was the bow chock/running light fitting. I think it is original so I took it to a shop in Massachusetts called Circle Polishing for repair. They did a super job and it is my little "bling".

Anyway, that's my story. I am sure there is more but I am going a bit blank. This project was really fun and almost as importantly manageable! I have the benefit of being a boatbuilder and the resources in materials and manpower are right there. I am happy to answer any questions.

March 13, 2007, 11:11:27 AM
Reply #2

jdupree

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:11:27 AM »
Beautiful :!:  :!:  :!:
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

March 13, 2007, 07:03:19 PM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Online
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:03:19 PM »
Never seen one of the chock/light combos but it sure came out nice.  You did a nice job period  :!: Something to be proud of.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

March 13, 2007, 08:09:11 PM
Reply #4

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 08:09:11 PM »
Noticed the two gas filler fittings on the console.  My 170 had one there too.  Regs. prohibit that now though.  Concern is if gas burps up when fueling it could get down into the electrics however I never had any problems fueling.  

Never seen a bow roller/chock/nav. light combo like that before.  Has that solid no-nonsense '40's look about it.  Not standard issue for AS's though.  Mostly it was Wilcox-Crittenden Marinium, an aluminum-magnesium alloy.

You mentioned the water line... how did you determine yours?  It's perfect!

Couldn't quite read the hail on the side.  Is it Sou'west Harbor?  And from the drawing the bow fitting's resting on I'd guess you're at Hinckley.  If that's the case it goes a long way in explaining the beautiful job you did on your boat...
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

March 14, 2007, 12:05:28 PM
Reply #5

focsle

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »
Huh, I just thought it was maybe one piece of original equipment but what the heck. I wonder what it came from? There are no markings on it at all and it was not the greatest casting. Thanks for the information though. That's why I come to this web site!

As to the water line, I guess I got lucky. I'd love to tell you that I took complicated calculations but actually all I did was take some waterlines the one time I put her in the water before the refit.

The hail is Sullivan Harbor, Maine which is due north of Bar Harbor on Frenchman Bay. I used to work for Hinckley but now I work for Morris Yachts. Check out www.morrisyachts.com and it will give you a good run down on the company. Good place to work and a lot  of good people.

The boat was a lot of fun to work on and I expect to add a bow rail this year and dodger next year. The water is cold up here so even on a hot August day, my kids get cold without a jacket and hat. I think I am looking at the one JimCT had listed in his recent post. As to the rail, I am going to make a custom SS one that I think will be a little smallerr than Ben87.

March 14, 2007, 12:24:18 PM
Reply #6

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:24:18 PM »
Whoever laid out the "M" boats must've been a foredeck man.  Nice open deck for rassling  head sails.  Nice lines & beautiful boats.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

March 14, 2007, 01:13:33 PM
Reply #7

focsle

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 01:13:33 PM »
Yes, they're pretty user friendly. Those M series have all control lines run below deck to the winches at the cockpit.

I have another guy here that I work with who has a AS 22 that he bought I think hull only and set her up for lobster fishing. I think he is going to put up some photos because I think it is unlike any other AS I have seen.

Thanks for all the nice comments!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal