Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Pic of my new scuppers and the boat after a season . . .  (Read 891 times)

November 15, 2006, 11:09:43 AM
Read 891 times

Ben87

• Information Offline
Pic of my new scuppers and the boat after a season . . .
« on: November 15, 2006, 11:09:43 AM »

At least you can see one of the ping-pong T&M scuppers.  

The bottom looks so ratty because I took a pressure washer to it to get the scum that had accumulated on it from the bay I keep it in up this way and you can see the many layers of bottom paint that is on it.

I have a few things I have to take care of this fall/winter.  One, the console rail lost one of the welds where it bolts into the console, have to just take off the 4 bolts and have someone weld it back on.  

I have to get that backrest pad on that swingback seat redone, maybe from scratch and I expect to pay dearly for it as it is so expensive to have stuff like that done.  

Lastly, I want to get a windshield from the place that others had mentioned in FL that has them either in stock or can do it custom.  I guess I can send them in the old windshield or just measure and send the dimensions in.  

Either way, the boat has been a joy this season.  I was out again last Friday and Saturday chasing mackerel.  THe engine, of course, did not skip one beat so far, it has been awesome.  

I will be planning on doing something about the bottom paint, either sanding, trying the chemical peel or just painting it over and being done with it.  

With the 4 blade aluminum prop, 15X16, she has been cruising at around 30mph at 4000 and gas mileage has been superb as has oil consumption, low, using the Opti/DFI oil.  The Tundra 4.7 V8 has pulled the thing so effortlessly as well.

November 15, 2006, 12:43:55 PM
Reply #1

jdupree

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:43:55 PM »
Ben,

Hope you have better luck with those scuppers than I have.  Don't know about your 222, but with 1 person standing in the back by the motor on my 170, both scuppers are underwater and do take on water.  And yes, I have cleaned them several times.  I have gotten to the point I just plug mine up unless in rough water.  Let us know how they work.
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

November 15, 2006, 01:45:24 PM
Reply #2

Ben87

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »
Good question jdupree.  I had the rubber flapper style scuppers in there.  Originally the boat came with the Attwood flappers and they worked good for the almost 20 years we 've had the boat and last season they were just so worn out we replaced them with some "Sea-Dog" or something scuppers which didn't really line up with the Attwood rings but we ran them anyway and with 4-5 people lining up on a rail to fish, water would come right on in.  

With the new ping pong balls, we had another 4-5 people on the rail and there was very little water in the transom well as the balls were doing there job and sealing the thu-hull up, I was both impressed and happy.  

As we have the boat tied to a dock in-season, I'll expect that the scuppers will get pretty nasty as everything that doesn't have bottom paint on it does in the water where we keep it, but the nice thing is that the things are pretty easy to take off, just loosen a small phillips screw and twist them off and clean them up.  I'm hoping they don't need too much to keep them clean but I'll have to wait until next May or June to really find out but for now, they really do work pretty darned good.  Thankfully the scupper holes are either at or just above the waterline at rest so that is a pretty good sign.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal